Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Arizona-based cruisers?

Where are the Arizona cruisers located?

We live near 24th St and Lincoln Drive (near the entrance to Squaw Peak)
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Originally from Flagstaff, but Jose and I live in Mesa. Don't you mean Piestewa Peak?
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Hmmm....

I just noticed I had "Arizona" spelled wrong - fixed that.

Yes "Piestawa Peak." - One of the enduring changes of the wonderful Janet Napolitano administration when she was our governor. It was strongarm tactics like this that made her perfect material to be the Homeland Security Czar. (I never understood that appointment, it's like making Al Capone head of the IRS).

Background story; Janet Napolitano decides that one of our prominent city peaks and parks should be renamed after, oh, 100 years, along with the freeway that bears its name - to honor one of the few native americans killed in the Iraq war back in about 2005.

So, as I recall, the legislature and then the voters in a referendum both pass laws saying the name can't be changed, and she still pushes it through with some kind of executive order ("You VILL Obey!).

Living here, I can tell you only the freeway has changed names, and only on tiny signs that line the access roads. The name of the park is still Squaw Peak Park.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Well I guess I can check in for my daughter who lives in Glendale now--hahaha near Pinnacle Peak- I keep telling her she should read the boards
She used to live in Scottsdale---
cheers
April
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I know I see AZ people in here all the time - but I don't know where to they go in the boards.

This "town" is getting SO sprawling it is ridiculous. You could spend two hours driving from one end to the other.
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Familiar Face

Avondale here.
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

See what I mean - no one lives in Phoenix anymore
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Come on Kuki, we know where you live! ! But all Arizonans should check in, not just those in the Valley of the Sun!
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Background story; Janet Napolitano decides that one of our prominent city peaks and parks should be renamed after, oh, 100 years, along with the freeway that bears its name - to honor one of the few native americans killed in the Iraq war back in about 2005.

So, as I recall, the legislature and then the voters in a referendum both pass laws saying the name can't be changed, and she still pushes it through with some kind of executive order ("You VILL Obey!).

Living here, I can tell you only the freeway has changed names, and only on tiny signs that line the access roads. The name of the park is still Squaw Peak Park.
Some years ago, then-Governor Michael S. Dukakis (best known out your way for subsequently looking totally out of place riding around in an Army tank in a campaign commercial during the 1988 presidential campaign) decided that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts would not build any new highways inside of the Yankee Division Highway, officially designated Massachusetts Route 128 when it was built back in the 1950's, in the Boston area. This created a problem, as the plans for the Interstate Highway System called for I-95 to pass through the city's downtown area. To connect the segment of I-95 to the north (going to New Hampshire) with the segment of I-95 to the south (going to Rhode Island), he decided that the intervening segment of the Yankee Division Highway should also be I-95. This created another problem, however, as it left the southern end of I-93, which originally would have ended at I-95, dangling in the city. Alas, our illustrious former governor also saw a chance to get federal funds for reconstruction of a segment of the John Fitzgerald Expressway, also built in the 1950's and designated as Massachusetts Route 3 -- he got I-93 extended southward over the John Fitzgerald Expressway to the southern terminus of the Yankee Division Highway, then westward over the Yankee Division Highway the junction with the southern completed leg of I-95. The result was that "Route 128" northbound became I-93 southbound, and vice versa.

A year or two later, Governor Dukakis got the brilliant (?) idea that each segment of highway should have only one route number. Thus, he ordered the highway department to take down all the signs for "Route 128" on the segments of the Yankee Division Highway that had become I-93 and I-95, with only the northern end of the Yankee Division Highway officially remaining Route 128. Subsequently realizing that this "orphaned" a railroad which bears the name "Route 128" (RTE on the Amtrak timetables), located one exit from the southern cutoff of I-95 on the Yankee Divisioon Highway, he ordered the signs restored to the I-95 segment.

But the name of "Route 128" was so ingrained into the local culture that everybody still knows the entire length of the Yankee Division Highway as "Route 128" -- even the traffic reporters on ALL of the Boston area radio and television stations! The absence of signs for "Route 128" is more than a little confusing to visitors and newcomers, and the fact that I-93 goes in the opposite direction makes it even worse!

And true to revolutionary roots, Boston folk just ignore the drivel of those in authority....

Norm.
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If anything - we have learned here in AZ that the Federal gov't does not seem too care much for any state's rights.

Our own (R) Senator Kyl received a letter from Rahm Emmanuel suggesting that if he was not for the stimulus bill that perhaps Arizona would prefer not to receive any future funding for AZ highway projects from the Federal government - although such funding is allocated by congress in completely separate bills.

A little federal goverment "political persuasion" to put it mildly. Also pretty enbarassing for Rahm when Kyl made the letter public. We aren't too fond of "The Chicago Way" out here - we kind of prefer the regular "law and order" way of doing things.