Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Sittin on the dock of the bay?

Out of all your ports of call, cities you have visited and loved, around the world, if all things fell perfectly into line for you, what place could you see yourself retiring to? Vineyards in France, Greek Isles, Swiss mountains, or a Caribbean island?

Or, would you never leave, the spot you are in right now?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Admiral

I'd love to retire to the Virgin Islands.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Vineyards in France. Nothing like them
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Venice Italy

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We can only dream about someday living in some warm tropical place. When it comes down to it, would be impossible to leave family behind. May-be taking off for a few months during the winter, I sure hope we can do that at some point.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Admiral

This is really a hard question as living in a place can be so different than visiting a place, even repeatedly. As Donna says, a a few months in a warm weather place might be nice in the winter time but it be really hard to actually live in a place and be dependent on local utilities, services, health care, etc without a home to scamper back to if needed.

One assumption I am making when replying to this question is that we are independently wealthy so we don't have to work and, just as importantly, have no pressing engagements if the occassional strike brought everything to a standstill. That would lead me to the best place for eating, drinking, camraderie, and a central location for travelling (local sites don't really matter as you can see them all in the first year).

If I could afford it, the English countryside. If I was a little more broke, the French countryside. Ideally, a small place in Paris and then a country place in England to get away to.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay?

Ah, Otis Redding . . . I love that song!

Well, I probably won't ever leave where I am, but if I could, I wouldn't go far. If I had a lot of money, I'd probably buy a house near the water in Newport Beach, CA or buy my dream house (yes, it does exist!) in Monterrey, CA.

Judy
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Question Retire to?

Pretty much every place in the world that we have seen and loved has been during the course of an 8 hour port call, from a tour bus!

Wonderful places, amazing to visit, great things to see ... but retire to them? No, sorry, I am very happy just where I am. My retirement will consist of taking cruises to all those wonderful places!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Admiral

great question..I love New Orleans so I would build my retirement home in Ponchutula LA which is about 50 miles west of the city because the small town reminds me of the one I grew up in upstate New York, which would serve as my base..I would live on Santorini Greece from mid May thru middle of July, Whidbey Island outside of Seattle from mid July thru Labor Day, home to Ponchutula from mid September (so I could go on my annual smooth jazz cruise) thru pre Mardi Gras and Barbados from pre Mardi Gras thru middle of last week in April (have to return home from Jazz Fest)..my grandson would come to Santorini to visit when he's out of school in May for the summer and learn Greek
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Waikiki, Hawaii!

To me no place even comes close.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Familiar Face

I totally agree with Manuel -- Waikiki, Hawaii. It's become my yearly birthday vacation. I have friends and co-workers from there, and we all sit around dreaming of retiring to Hawaii. But, I haven't been too Tahiti yet, so my dream retirement home might change soon. As much as I love Paris, I can't choose it because of the weather (it gets cold).
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Out of all your ports of call, cities you have visited and loved, around the world, if all things fell perfectly into line for you, what place could you see yourself retiring to? Vineyards in France, Greek Isles, Swiss mountains, or a Caribbean island?

Or, would you never leave, the spot you are in right now?
Oh, I would leave Taxachusetts in a heartbeat!

But where to go? Hmmm....

>> For a summer home, I probably would choose either a location around Anchorage or a location on Washington's Kitsap Peninsula. A condo at a ski resort in Colorado would not be bad, either, but it's a bit far inland.

>> For a winter home, I probably would choose either Maui or the U. S. Virgin Islands, though southern Florida is also a viable option.

But regardless of where I maintain my homes, I think that two to three cruises per month, each of at least ten days, will be about right!

Norm.
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I would retire to Florida, or Galveston. Jim could get a boat, and take passengers out to fish. I would tell him to get to work, and he would smile and say OK.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link