Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Trip.....how did you load the game? Was it downloaded from the Amazon app store? I've gotten a couple of them on my Fire and they were in Apps and also on the Carousel.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Admiral

The town I live in had one book store .They closed their doors today as the cannot compete with the nooks and similiar products .The two closest towns are without book stores for the same reason .The closest is now a Barnes and Noble ,45 minute travel .
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Default Kindles and iPads and Books, Oh My

I don't get a newsletter or anything else about free books. How do I get that?

Keith didn't get his Kindle Fire today. Maybe tomorrow . . .

Judy
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Linda, I ordered it from Amazon, & got my conformation....<sob>

Judy, if you go back through this thread..I posted several.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; November 25th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Admiral

One more anti kindle/nook post .Those of us who have had a book published by a small press are at a loss because small press publishers tend to have working agreements with "mom and pop" book stores and they will cease to exist very soon .
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Henry, this is a thread for people who have Kindles, Nooks, etc. to talk about our experiences with them. We get it that you are against them, ok? Please quit coming on here trying to make us feel guilty for enjoying our e-readers. Thanks.

Trip, did you order the app from your Fire, or did you do it on Amazon? All of the ones I did were ordered right from the Fire, I watched them download on the Fire and when they were done I got a little button that said Open. So I was able to open them right after they were purchased/downloaded, and they showed up under Apps right away. Maybe you should call Amazon, their customer service is great.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old November 26th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Default Feeling guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
Henry, this is a thread for people who have Kindles, Nooks, etc. to talk about our experiences with them. We get it that you are against them, ok? Please quit coming on here trying to make us feel guilty for enjoying our e-readers. Thanks.

Trip, did you order the app from your Fire, or did you do it on Amazon? All of the ones I did were ordered right from the Fire, I watched them download on the Fire and when they were done I got a little button that said Open. So I was able to open them right after they were purchased/downloaded, and they showed up under Apps right away. Maybe you should call Amazon, their customer service is great.
Perhaps you should
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Perhaps you should
I sure don't. As progress is made and new things are invented, people learn to adjust and move forward.

Old November 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am really enjoying my Fire. I seem to learn a little bit more about what it can do, each time I turn it on.

I love going to the app store each day to see what Amazon has offered for free.

Henry, I saw where you said there was no longer a book store within 45 minutes of you. Is there not a Wal Mart? We have never had a real book store here, and many of my books have come from the book section of Wal Mart, in their new release section. I also ordered books by mail for years.

Also, Amazon has many new writers who come to them for exposure. The books are cheaper, so they are picked for the price, but if they are good, they can charge more the next time.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Linda I ordered it from Amzon,,.when I get hiome form work, I will take your advice and call...thanks.

Old November 26th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default Clarification

Quote:
I sure don't. As progress is made and new things are invented, people learn to adjust and move forward.

I wrote a book on 1988 .I went with a Small Press . For many years copies of my book were available in Used book stores all over the country . These book stores barely exist .I do not get any money from the sale of the book .My book and others like it are not available on Nook and Kindle .If I want someone to read my book I have to get copies printed at my expense and give them to people which is what I've been doing since used book stores have been closing .
Its not only used book stores that are closing but "mom and pop"book stores all over the country.

When televisions were available people still used radios .I'm sure we all have radios that we use .
Electric shavers came about but people still use manual ones .

The Nook and Kindle are causing Americans to close their stores ,that is the difference.
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post

When televisions were available people still used radios .I'm sure we all have radios that we use .
Electric shavers came about but people still use manual ones .
People who use e-readers still use regular paper books, too.

Old November 26th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:

This definitely describes me!

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Admiral

The call back system from Amazon is wonderful. I found the game,and because the screen is small.,amd I am old,playijg a game with my eyes just won't work. They gave me a credit for the game, so, now I know.

I also learned that in order to remove a book from the fire, you have to go to amazoin,and login & go to manage my kindle....not like on my other kindle...it's a learning curve alright

I read on my Kindle, go to the library, buy books,and listen to them...and, I always will.

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Default Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I am really enjoying my Fire. I seem to learn a little bit more about what it can do, each time I turn it on.

I love going to the app store each day to see what Amazon has offered for free.

Henry, I saw where you said there was no longer a book store within 45 minutes of you. Is there not a Wal Mart? We have never had a real book store here, and many of my books have come from the book section of Wal Mart, in their new release section. I also ordered books by mail for years.

Also, Amazon has many new writers who come to them for exposure. The books are cheaper, so they are picked for the price, but if they are good, they can charge more the next time.
The nearest one is 45 minutes from here and I can't recall ever seeing books sold there .
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Default e-readers

Quote:

Everyone I know who uses a e-reader does not read anything but that .
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Well, you know all of us now, and, we do....a good thing!

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Well, you know all of us now, and, we do....a good thing!
That may be ,but book stores all over the country are closing because they cannot compete with nooks and kindles .
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Admiral

You made a point,and I understand....my husband is a printer! But, beating a dead horse is what's happening.;(

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Default Printer

Quote:
You made a point,and I understand....my husband is a printer! But, beating a dead horse is what's happening.;(

One of my best friends has owned a printing business for more than 40 years .The internet virtually "killed" his business .He is hanging on by a "thread".
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Yes I know..nuff said

Old November 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:

I also learned that in order to remove a book from the fire, you have to go to amazon,and login & go to manage my kindle....not like on my other kindle...it's a learning curve alright

You do know that if you delete a book from your Manage My Kindle screen, you delete it from your account completely, right? You would have to buy it again in order to read it again.

One of the things that a lot of people are complaining about is that the carousel on the home page shows all of the books, etc. that you own even if you've already read them and sent them back to the cloud. You can go to Books and choose Device view, then it will only show the ones you've downloaded to the Fire.

I usually read paper books at home and my e-reader when I'm out and about. I have 2 boxes full of books in my closet I have lined up to read and almost 200 on the Kindle. "So many books, so little time."

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:58 AM
First Mate

Kindles and most e-readers can download word documents as well, so it is very easy for a book to be available on kindle. My own Grandad has written books that he made available for free on Kindle.

There are probably just as many people, if not more, that would say these devices help us "Go Green" than would complain about the bookstores closing. Less printed books, mean less trees cut down.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Linda, it's so good you are knowledgeable, for people like me That was my complaint to amazon..all I really wanted,was to have the books I have read, off the home page. I was going to delete them,but, I would like to share with people like you, if I have something, somebody may want. Thanks again.

Old November 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Admiral

I may be getting one for Christmas. By reading this thread, guys, I really don't know if I'll have the sense to use it...if I get it. If I do get one it'll just be a basic one, not the new Fire. Can people share books between the different types of kindles?
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I think you should go for the fire. You can do so much more. The Fire is trial and error. The more you use it, the more you learn. Unless you already have an I Pad. If that is the case, then a Kindle 2 would work just as well, except when you traveled, you would end up taking both.

I am still learning about the sharing thing. Still don't know how to do it, but once I learn I would love to share.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I'm actually thinking about returning my Fire. It won't work for me as an e-reader (hurts my eyes), and between my netbook, Roku, Blackberry, Kindle Touch, and PC, it really doesn't do anything I don't already have covered.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Fire is beautiful and well made. It works great and I love it. I'm just not sure I need another redundant toy.

Moiraine, yes.....if a Kindle book is "shareable", it doesn't matter which version of Kindle you have. And you'll do just fine with a Kindle. They aren't difficult at all to learn to read on.

Old November 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Admiral

I don't know if I'm getting one for sure Luanne. We drew names this year. My brother got my name. My niece was down yesterday and asked me if I had a kindle. I said no. By the look on her face as we were talking I figure she and her dad had discussed him buying me one for Christmas. I'm not going to ask for a Fire when I know what some of the other gifts are going to be. My other half is getting a dvd from the person who got his name. A basic kindle would be overkill to what most of the gifts will be....I do a lot of reading. With having dad here with me it's about the only thing I have left that I can do...so my brother may slip me on on the side, I don't know...but I'm not going to ask for anything, if you know what I mean. I will be happy if I get one, and I'll be happy if I don't. I just hope that I'll be able to figure it out if I do.
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Admiral

OK, thanks Linda. Did not see your post. That's good to know. Maybe I'll get one.
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Admiral

My Kindle has me reading more library books! I find an author I like with a "free kindle" book, then I find out that the next (or other's by the same author) costs much more. That's when I go to the library for a free check out .

The main author I've done this with so far is Faye Kellerman (one freebie on Kindle, the rest about $9.99 ), but I have other's for which I'm going to the library.

My late Uncle owned a bookstore in a small college town. He retired and got out of the book business at just the right time. His store was open from the late 1930's until the 1980's. I'm thankful that Barnes & Noble is still around. The "independent's" are all gone around here .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014