Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Admiral

I am reading The Asylum series by Jocelynn Drake at the moment. The series is only two shorts and two regular novels so far and I'm about to start the second long novel. Can't wait for more. It sort of reminds me of the Harry Dresden books.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Admiral

So, what are you guys reading? I just finished up the Jaz Parks series. I have some stand alone books I could read or I could go into another series of books, so I am debating.

Judy, was the last Rita Mae Brown book good? I still have not gotten around to reading it. I keep on going into series.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Default Kindles and Ipads and Books, Oh My

I think that was "Litter of the Law," and yes, it was good. Seems like she hasn't written anything recently.

I just finished Stewart Woods' newest, "Standup Guy." Looks like it's going to be continued into another book.

Judy
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
First Mate

Currently reading The Book Thief, which I'm not getting through quickly and Vince Flynn's Separation of Power.
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I just put Litter of the Law on my reading list as my next book to be shipped from my club. And I decide to read the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler. The first book is only fair so far but I'm not that far into it. Since these are library reads it won't be a big deal if they are not stellar. I hope it picks up, though.
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am in the middle of the new John Grisham book, so far, very good.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Well, it's been a few months, so what are you guys reading? I recently read the Divergent trilogy. Good but not Hunger Games good.

I just finished The Book Thief last night. A friend told me I had to read this book. I understand why she told me I had to now. Wow, what a story. I felt rage, grief, joy, and just about every other emotion a human can feel. It is a powerful story.

When I've recovered from The Book Thief, I've got Kim Harrison's The Undead Pool, Lisa Gardner's Fear Nothing, and Rita Mae Brown's The Litter of the Law waiting on me. I'll be ordering the new Patricia Briggs book soon.

Also waiting on me is Tracy Chevalier's The Runaway. I don't know when I'll get to that. I love her books but they always leave me wiped out emotionally.

So, what have you guys been reading and what do you have planned?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am listening to a Florida mystery on my Kindle right now,and I love that option. I really have been lax about reading for a while,and I need to get back to my very long list of Kindle books..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Trip, I've downloaded a couple of free books on kindle the past week but they are on the backburner. There is usually a backlog of books waiting and not enough time.

My kindle is just the standard old kindle. I've never wanted a fancy one before...but the thought of the late Robert Jordan reading one of his books....

Well, nice thought but not enough...
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Admiral

All right peeps, what are we reading now? I finally got around to reading Litter of the Law, Judy. I enjoyed it. I still have some of the books I mentioned before waiting on me. I've been busy with my mother. She had hip replacement surgery on April 3rd. What I have managed to read has mostly been Lisa Gardner stand alone books. I just started her older series. I'm on the second book, The Third Victim. I did try another writer in the same genre, Alan Jacobson. I read the first book in his series and decided he couldn't write worth a flip. Oh well. Anyone read Iris Johansen? If so, is she any good?
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Default Kindles and IPads and Books, Oh My

It's nice to see this thread up again.

I've been reading Ellen Hart again. Her books take place in Minnesota. I just finished John Sandford's new book. They also take place in Minnesota.

Has anybody out there read Joe Nesbo? I highly recommend him. He's got a new book out, also, but I can't think of the name of it. His books are very intense, but well worth the read.

Judy
Old May 24th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Admiral

What are his books about, Judy?
Old May 24th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Just finished the 3 newest from their series...Nancy Cohen, Elaine Viets,and Stuart Woods...devoured every word..Reading Nosy Neighbors now.

Old May 25th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Moraine, Joe Nesbo's series take place in Oslo (just skip the unpronounceable words) and are about an alcoholic police inspector. He get callled in for everything they can't solve no matter how badly he behaves.

His new book is stand alone, though.

Judy
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Admiral

I might have to put that series on my to read list, Judy.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I'm about to start the fourth book in the series I'm reading. I've got to take the time after this to catch up on my current series books.

After this series, I will have read all of Lisa Gardner's books. Anyone have suggestions on psychological thrillers?

Also, I read The Southern Sisters series a while back and loved that series. Got any suggestion on anything like that?
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Has anyone signed up for the new kindle unlimited service yet? I'm wondering if I want to do this or not.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I looked into it, and, another one called oyster, but it appears they do not include new releases..makes sense for them, but not for me. Did you see it that way too?

I just finished Stuart Wood's new one, Cut & Thrust.. A bit too political for me, but I underdstand, the need for this books take, to move the series forward, in different directions.

Old July 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I just finished "Cut and Thrust," too, and found it a little boring. Too political and not enough action.

I am reading my third Daniel Silva book, "The Heist." Plenty of excitement there, and some humor, as well.

Keith signed me up for that unlimited Kindle thing. Not my cup of tea. I guess he'll use it.

Moraine, I have an old Kindle, also. Never wanted anything more. I'd never use all the bells and whistles.

Judy
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My 2nd Kindle, an 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX arrived a few days ago. I love it!!

I have only bought a few books in the past 4 years I have owned the Kindle. I borrow e-books from the local library. You can have them for 3 weeks which is more than enough for me since i am a fast reader. Since i rarely read a book twice, borrowing makes sense to me. If you haven't already done so, look into borrowing from your library. There a thousands of books for you to choose from. If the one you want isn't available right now, put it on a wait list. Our library even holds free classes for you to learn to use your Kindle to its fullest potential. As a frequent cruiser, this beats dragging a bag of books and taking up valuable space in my suitcase.

By the way, i am not a librarian nor associated with Amazon, i just love to read!
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Trip, no way are they letting the new best sellers on that service. Too bad. There are plenty of older books that I've not read that I would like to read but I'm afraid that there will only be a few of the "good" ones ones there that I've already read and loads of the really super cheap ones from writes no one has heard from.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
I just finished "Cut and Thrust," too, and found it a little boring. Too political and not enough action.

I am reading my third Daniel Silva book, "The Heist." Plenty of excitement there, and some humor, as well.

Keith signed me up for that unlimited Kindle thing. Not my cup of tea. I guess he'll use it.

Moraine, I have an old Kindle, also. Never wanted anything more. I'd never use all the bells and whistles.

Judy
I'm reading The Heist right now too. Enjoying it. I've read all of his Gabriel Allon series, love them!
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Bernie, I really like that series, too, and plan to keep reading them!

Judy