Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
To all James Patterson readers....Have you enjoyed the last few books he has written with co authors?

I used to enjoy them, but Postcards, and, Don't Blink,I just couldn't finish..His stand alone Alex Cross series, I still enjoy..This guy has to be the most prolific author out there!

Will you finish a book, you are not enjoying? I used to feel compelled to, but no longer..if I find myself purposely not picking up my book, I know it's doomed... Love a book, that grabs me from page one...
Hi Trip, I agree with you about James Patterson. I loved the Alex Cross series so far, I haven't finished all of them. But the others....not so much!

There are so many books out there to read, and not enough time to read them all.....if I'm still struggling to get into the book after a couple of chapters, I delete it and try the next one.

Donna, good luck with the books. Let us know if it works for you.

Jacqueline, you'll love the folks on that board. Very friendly and helpful!

Fourxbusymom, enjoy your Nook! I'll be curious to hear if the backlit screen bothers your eyes when reading for very long. I know it's nice to not need a book light, but I've heard the e-ink screens (like on the other Nooks, Kindles, etc) are a lot easier on your eyes. How big is your Nook?

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old December 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
The books I am trying to copy to my Kindle are .prc.....may-be those are not compatable?
I didn't think you could share books on the Kindle? they're registered to his account, not yours.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It seems his new book (Patterson) has caused an uproar, do to the fact e-mails were sent out to Kindle users for his new book that was to be free. It seems you get the first part for free and have to buy the rest. It is also priced higher for the Kindle than the hard back book.

Does anyone wonder if someone in the publishing biz thinks Kindle users are stupid?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I didn't think you could share books on the Kindle? they're registered to his account, not yours.
The .azw files that you buy from Amazon are registered to your account only, you are correct. But the Kindle will read several other formats, so you can buy books from other sources.

Luanne, YES! They think we are stupid. I usually won't buy a book if it's priced higher than the paperback, either. I haven't purchased a new/bestseller from Amazon since most of them went to $12.99 instead of $9.99.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old December 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
The .azw files that you buy from Amazon are registered to your account only, you are correct. But the Kindle will read several other formats, so you can buy books from other sources.
Yeah, I know you can buy from other sources. But you can't load a file up with other people's books.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Yeah, I know you can buy from other sources. But you can't load a file up with other people's books.
I'm pretty sure that only the .azw files have the code or whatever that makes them unreadable on someone else's Kindle. The other file types can be read on any device, as long as they aren't DRM protected. All of the .prc, .mobi, and .pdf books I have can be read on other people's devices. I've shared most of them.

Old December 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I fired up my Sony this morning thinking I would download some reading material. I hadn't used it in a year. Once I fired it up it worked for a couple of minutes and then the, all too familiar, smell of ozone and burning electronics wafted through the air. The Sony flickered a couple of times and shut down. I immediately unplugged it because it was almost too hot too hold.

RIP: Sony

Take care,
Mike (Who's now afraid to fire up the Kindle)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well that's not good.....will you be contacting Sony?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Wow, Mike, what a bummer! I wonder what the heck would make it do that. It's probably not still under warranty?

Old December 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am just now trying to finish a Patterson book, regular old paperback...Alex Cross's trail....Once I finish, I'm on to by Kindle with a John Grisham book that I bought, but didn't realize it, The confession...I already read the first 2 sample chapters, so it was one I would of bought. Still having a problem getting books from a disk on to the Kindle, may-be it is going, but the only place I could think it would go, archives and that still shows nothing....I'll get it some day...it was just way to easy getting them from Amazon...

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Re: Patterson and his multiple books. He does an outline and then gets another writer to write the whole thing which he edits ... and it shows IMO.

Liked the Cross series until I read the one about a trial of his uncle years before (don't really remember it all) but it was NOT a Cross book.

Well he's rich - and I'm not!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Andrew Gross,an author who used to co write with him, wrote a book on his own called, The Dark Tide, and it was a great read...

The Cross Trial book, I read the inside cover, and donated it....

Old December 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

a technical question..which device is best to purchase that can upload college textbooks/manuels and also popular magazines ?
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Admiral

I went to the library today,and I park in the back.You have to walk down a stairway,and hanging from a surrounding balcony so you can really can see it beautifully as you walk down, was this magnificent handmade quilt of a bookshelf, loaded with books and knick knacks, potted plants etc, all lovingly stitched together with all sorts of wonderful fabrics

This beautiful gift was donated to the library by the senior citizens center..whatta nice thing to see as you enter..I am going to take a picture next time I go, and, post it here.

Old December 30th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Think I've read most (maybe not all) of this thread ... BUT is there a way to check the free Kindle books available BEFORE you buy one. Haven't tried but just thought with all you experts you could give me a quick answer.

Thanks.

Old December 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

I go to Amazon..enter my free kindle search, and, see what comes up, and, read the blurbs..since it's free anyway, I download it, if I think it's not my cuppa tea, I delete it.

Old December 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:

This beautiful gift was donated to the library by the senior citizens center..whatta nice thing to see as you enter..I am going to take a picture next time I go, and, post it here.
Oh please do!! I love quilts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut View Post
Think I've read most (maybe not all) of this thread ... BUT is there a way to check the free Kindle books available BEFORE you buy one. Haven't tried but just thought with all you experts you could give me a quick answer.

Thanks.
Well, part of the trouble is that a lot of the free Kindle books are only free for a limited time. But there are always new ones, so it's very easy to fill up your reader with freebies. The classics are almost always free, so if you like them you're in business.

Old December 31st, 2010, 12:44 AM
Admiral

So I guess the answer from both Lindas is that you have to own the Kindle to check on the freebies ... right?

Old December 31st, 2010, 02:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut View Post
So I guess the answer from both Lindas is that you have to own the Kindle to check on the freebies ... right?
No, not at all. Here's one link I posted on an earlier page that lists some. Pixel of Ink ~ Free & Bargain Kindle Books

Here's an Amazon page with lots of info about the freebies. Amazon.com: Free Book Collections: Kindle Store

And this is the board I was talking about that has all kinds of info about Kindles/ebook readers. This is their free book thread. Free Book Finds: December 2010 (No Self promotion, please)

That should help get you started.

Old December 31st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Well, I see we can now loan our Kindle books, just like the Nook,and that's a good thing for us Kindle owners..The books will automatically be returned to the loaner after 14 days,and also, the loaner will not be able to read that book during this period. Not all books will be able to be loaned, it is up to the publisher,or right owner to determine what will be eligible.

So anybody who has archived books, or a long list of ready to read books willing to loan..we could swap..I wonder if the "Big Guns" will be allowing the swaps..

Old December 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Hey, that's great news! I had heard it was coming, but didn't know they had started it yet. I'm off to read about it!

Old December 31st, 2010, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Is this for the new Kindles? I have a 2
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 31st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Admiral

I finally did it....Got a book to copy over to my Kindle....Now, if I could only read them as quickly as they come in.....Gotta love it!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, and keep book reviews comming. If you just read a "must" read, please let the rest of us know...

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Is this for the new Kindles? I have a 2
Luanne, it looks like it depends on the publisher, but the model of Kindle doesn't matter. Amazon.com Help: Lending Kindle Books

It sounds like some of the big publishers haven't signed up for lending yet. I read that even on the Nook, which has had lending since the beginning, only about 1/3 of their books are available for lending.

Here's some more FAQ about the program.
http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2010/12/31...nding-edition/

Yay Donna! I'm glad you'll be able to read some of those books on the disc.

Last edited by lindnet; December 31st, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Admiral

It may be a bit too soon yet, but, I just checked 5 of my fave authors, including Patterson, and, none of them were lendable;( Time will tell...

Old December 31st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I sure hope that changes, I love Patterson, reading one now, the last of my paperbacks for good I think....expeciall the Alex Cross series, good stories.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Trip,

Just finished Crush & I had read 7th Victim. My middle daughter purchased Velocity, the sequel to Crush and it is lendable on Nook. She will lend to me when she finishes.
You only have 14 days to read on a lend. If it is as good as 7th and Crush, it won't take that long.
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Brenda,when I was on the Epic, someone in my group was reading 7th Victim, and, loving it..I just checked on Amazon, Velocity is $12.99....Thank for the heads up...

I am in the middle of one of my fave authors series, Elaine Viets.,..once I finish this, I will start 7th Victim......I will check periodically, and, see if the 3rd, goes no charge...I think the lending idea is fabulous...once it's up, and, going well..I will gladly loan a book from my repitoire Once it gets to that point, I will print a list of what I have...

Do you read JD Robb? Nora Roberts in disguse I just finished her latest.I love to listen to her books too..the actress who reads her, has a fabulous voice and does accents excellent!

Also, if anyone is a serial killer book lover, try Level 26..I just got the 2nd in the series, Dark Prophecy from my book club,and the author Anthony Zuiker, a writer for the CSI series , writes a heck of a book!

Old December 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Admiral

A funny thing just happened. I turned my Kindle on to read, (it had been on sleep) all of my books that had finished reading are gone.

Anyone know why?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
A funny thing just happened. I turned my Kindle on to read, (it had been on sleep) all of my books that had finished reading are gone.

Anyone know why?
Wow, I can't imagine how that would happen on it's own, Luanne. Either your Kindle is haunted or your hubby is playing with it when you aren't looking! You don't delete the books from the Kindle and just leave them out at Amazon when you're through with them? I do that and then have my home page show only the books on the device instead of all of them.

Quote:
Also, if anyone is a serial killer book lover, try Level 26..I just got the 2nd in the series, Dark Prophecy from my book club,and the author Anthony Zuiker, a writer for the CSI series , writes a heck of a book!
Ohhh, thanks for the tip. I'll have to check into those....I love CSI.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Hey, I just popped over to Amazon to see why Velocity, Crush and 7th Victim sounded familiar......I read them! They were great books, I enjoyed them.