Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I turned it off and then back on and now they are back.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Default Kindles and iPads and Books, Oh My!

Well, I hate to throw cold water on all of this, but my feelings are mixed about the Kindle. I miss not having books awaiting me to read on the shelf, although I have three on the Kindle. I'll hear about that from my DH! I just finished a wonderful biography, but none of the photos are on the Kindle. Barnes & Noble had one copy but it was on hold for a customer. Also one of my favorite writer's, her books are not Kindlized. Neither was the biography.

I do, however, think it's amazing to be able to get a book in less than a minute.

Judy
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:22 AM
Admiral

Judy, I still buy regular books too. I had 2 hardbacks on my Christmas list, they were biographies and had pictures.....and I wanted them on my bookshelf. But I love the Kindle too. To me, they both have their place. Even though I read a lot more on the Kindle, I still enjoy books as well.

Luanne, that is just the weirdest thing. Maybe that was just your Kindle's way of telling you it wanted a reboot.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old January 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Borders Books appears to be in trouble and is attempting to refinance their debt and if not successful may go out of business..one of the reasons they indicated was due to the growing emergence of e-readers

is this the beginning of the end for the brick and mortar book stores ? my son's/grandson's generation think I am a dinosaur because I still have a phone land line, buy CD's instead of downloading MP3's, and actually purchase books (they did get me a kindle for Christmas)
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Venice,

I think it would be horrible if book stores disappeared. There will always be a need for books.

I got rid of my land line when I looked at the bill, with all the taxes and fees I was paying, just so the telemarketers could call. I have never looked back.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Admiral

I agree, I still love books and don't ever want them to go away.

Woohoo, I borrowed my first Kindle book last night! Kindleboards has already put in a lending thread. I had read The Hunger Games, but not the next two, so I borrowed Catching Fire. Wow, it was so easy and fast! I need to go through all my books and see what I can list on there for others.

I'd love to get rid of my land line, but then I'd have to try and find another way to get my internet connection. Right now I only pay $15 a month for DSL.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old January 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will have to check out that thread....99% of the time a 2 week loan is of no issue..my luck, when I borrow one, something will happen,and I will need another day or two. lol....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Somebody was saying that they can't remove the book from your Kindle until you turn on the wireless.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Kindles will eventually replace bookstores .I was at a Barnes and Noble friday .Half the store is now stocked with toys . The "mom and pop" book stores are gone .Used book stores are virtually gone . I vividly recall the days where there was at least one book store every 2 blocks ,now I am an hour away from one .
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

There are two fabulous book stores which are thriving in Florida, that I visit every time I go...One, is right on A1A, near the port is called Well Read, and the other is in Delray Beach called, Murder on the Beach..they both host authors for signings all the time,and I get the newsletter about new books..One cruise, I will be down there for one of the get togethers.

Not many smaller stores around here...just the big ones...

Old January 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Captain

Note: I also posted this to another similar thread, but thought it might be of interest here as well.

Since getting my Kindle for my birthday just over a month ago, I can't seem to put it down. I loved having it on my B2B cruise and read a lot while waiting for bingo and shows to start as well as on deck on sea days. So far some of the books I've read on the Kindle are

"Private" and "Postcard Killers" by James Patterson

I'm a huge fan of James Patterson
"Killer Cruise" by Laura Levine
Great little cruise read
"Her Last Letter" by Nancy C. Johnson
First time to read this author - good mystery
"Murder on the Med" by Celeste Graham
Loved reading this cruise read - mystery which takes place on a Mediterranean cruise
"Stuck in the Middle" by Virginia Smith
Nice Christian love story with family values
"Unwrapping Christmas" by Lori Copeland
Just had to have one Christmas story to read on my December B2B cruise
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
How nice of your brother Jackie, you will enjoy it once you get in your comfort zone.

In an above post, Linda mentioned 2 sites,one I went to I think can help you...here is the chat link..I went there yesterday and you can post your questions here. Introductions & Welcomes

Another palce to get help is Askville.com. click on the Amazon spot,and ask your questions.Let us know what happens, I bet you are reading in Dutch very soon....

I get my e-reader sunday

Read and post cruise reviews

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
I get my e-reader sunday
Yay! Good for you! Let us know how you like it.

Old January 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Admiral

I know you will enjoy it..what book do you think will be your first download? Books in a minute,a good thing!

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Trip, there are many Dutch writers you never heard off who write great books as in detectives, but also novels, I will feast myself on surfing the net on good books

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Jacqueline....I love a good mystery!

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My wife bought me the Sony E-Book for Christmas and I admit I was thinking "I don't want this thing." as it cost about $300 and I rarely even buy books.

My problem is that every book I buy I end up leaving on a plane or in a hotel room - and if I don't I just never finish them because I don't have a reading conducive life-style. (we watch TV and then go to sleep. I used to read nightly but the WWW and HDTV changed all that).

It did not seem a bargain to me to have this thing unless you are like Louann and already spend several $100 on books/year, which I don't.

But anyway, now I have this thing, so my question "where is the best place to buy books?" Is it Amazon - or because its a Sony is there a better place?
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Definitely not Amazon. Sony store is pretty good. I also use Kobo.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Admiral

There’s nothing like the smell of an old library book!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
But anyway, now I have this thing, so my question "where is the best place to buy books?" Is it Amazon - or because its a Sony is there a better place?
Just in case you don't have it, here's the link to the Sony ebook store: Reader Store :: eBook Downloads

This page has links to find library books you can read on your Sony Reader, a link to Google books and lots of free classics, and also several category choices at the bottom of the page: The Digital Reader from Sony :: Reader Store

Old January 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you Linda - I heard you could get library books.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Linda,
Can you download books for a Kindle on the Sony site or just for their e-reader?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Linda,
Can you download books for a Kindle on the Sony site or just for their e-reader?
It doesn't appear so. This is from the Sony Reader website:

Q: Are your eBooks compatible with the Kindle reading device?
A: No, Kindle uses a proprietary eBook format and DRM. This means that Amazon eBooks books only work on the Kindle and if you own a Kindle, you are generally limited to shopping at the Amazon eBook store. The Kindle does not support EPUB or ACS4 DRM so Reader Store eBooks will not work on the Kindle.

I highlighted that part in red because is really isn't true. There are several websites that sell books you can read on the Kindle.

Fictionwise eBooks: Free eBooks, eBooks for your iPhone, BlackBerry, Android device, Symbian Mobile Phone, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Palm handheld, PC, Mac and more!

Feedbooks | Free eBooks for Android & iPhone/iPad

Ebooks | BooksOnBoard | Online eBook Store, Downloadable Audio Books, Digital eBooks | Ebooks | BooksOnBoard

There's a few to get you started. The last one doesn't have as many that are readable on Kindle, only titles available in MOBI format.

But with all that being said, Amazon has the biggest selection....way bigger than Sony's. And from the few price comparisons I've done, they have better prices as well.

Old January 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Borders Books appears to be in trouble and is attempting to refinance their debt and if not successful may go out of business..one of the reasons they indicated was due to the growing emergence of e-readers

is this the beginning of the end for the brick and mortar book stores ? my son's/grandson's generation think I am a dinosaur because I still have a phone land line, buy CD's instead of downloading MP3's, and actually purchase books (they did get me a kindle for Christmas)
I still buy LP's .I've never downloaded music .I buy books.Barnes and Noble bookstores are closing in many places in NYC .
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Henry..LP's are making a major comeback as are turntables,,there is also a device that will convert old LP's to CD's and allow conversions to MP3/IPOD

in the French Quarter there is a store that deals in nothing but LP's and I like to spend hours browsing and listening to old jazz LP's..I don't download because after Hurricane Katrina I elected to buy as much of my music CD's locally to help keep folks employed..if I can't find it locally, I order thru CD Baby which is located in Portland Oregon and cuts out the middle man and gives the artist a bigger cut

my dream is to purchase an old fashion style Wurlitzer Jukebox, that plays CD's and compatable to hook up my MP3 player to it and play thru my surround sound system
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Venice:

I still have my turntable that I bought nearly 30 years ago.I have hundreds of LP's ,45's and 78's . I have jazz 78's going back to the 30's.
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Just thought I'd share this with those of you who have Kindles. Over 100 free books today. Most are non-fiction. Enjoy! Dozens Of Free Books Today

In the email, it mentioned to check again later today, as more would be added.

Old January 7th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

I think that book lovers and bookstore lovers should begin a ban the kindle movement .
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also love bookstores, I can hang out in them for hours. I hate to see shops like that close because soon there will be no reason to go out and shop.

The concept of "browsing" while shopping is disappearing, along with downtown shopping districts and walking zones.

Tge world is gettinjg far too car and WWW oriented. People NEED to get outside and see other people. It is good for the mind.

I know- I work at home and live in a real car-town. I rarely even have a good reason to leave my house. It's sad. I miss NYC.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I love bookstores AND the Kindle. I just love to read. I also read newspapers and magazines.

Sorry, but this is a Kindle/iPad/books thread. If you want to start a "ban the Kindle" thread, it's pretty easy to start a new thread. Why come on a thread where people are having fun comparing notes on their ebook readers and helping each other use them and try to make us feel guilty about owning them?