Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
First Mate

Ahhhh, there's good news this morning!

Patience being a virtue which tends to upon occasion be in short supply for moi, paid off in this case.

I was up at the crack of dawn as usual, and said, what the heck, let me try and download the software update one more time.

....and lo and behold, 3 minutes later, the update was firmly ensconced on the pc !!!

I think that the issue was at the Amazon end of things. With all the Kindles out there, the demand for the software to be downloaded was overwhelming. My earlier attempts, being during "normal" hours, were a part of this demand. I was in a queue waiting my turn. When I tried "off hours", I was able to do it.

So I moved the new software to the Kindle and followed the instructions for installing the new software on the Kindle, and I am now happy to say that I am at the latest release which I should be. The only thing now left to do is to update Mrs. S's Kindle.

Todd, plan B in this instance was to go to a free wifi location and do it that way. In fact, I was going to go to a Border's....not sure about the ethics of that, but I have spent enough $$$ there over the years to warrent it in my mind.

Fern, you do not have to download ebooks to your computer and then to the Kindle. If you have a Kindle with 3G (the "magic" cell phone type signal) capability, it will download directly to the Kindle automatically. You can tell if you have a 3G signal when you turn on your Kindle and see on the very top an icon that says 3G.

This has indeed been a learning experience, and I am happy it has concluded positively. Now all we need to do is download some books and use the units as they were intended.

Hope all have a wonderful week end !

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Cool

WiFi is type of connection that laptops and other devices use to talk/use the internet .
The 70$ router is the best way to setup WiFi at home .
3G( also 4G) are a type of cell phone and very pricey ( could be chaep in the US).
The best thing is to go to Best Buy and buy a wireless router . They are cheap as borscht these days . Many Home high speed (also called DSL or ADSL ) routers/modems supplied by providers ( also called ISP's) have Wifi buiult into them.
If you buy an external WiFi router , have the store ( if they can) set your router up in store or some will make a cost call ( usually less the 50$) to set it up in house as well as your kindle.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Admiral

and that's the reason why with anything to do with a computer, I call up my grandson and ask him to have his Dad bring him over to my house to go fishing..and while my son is here, he does all those computer/kindle type things for me

makes one wonder if it's just easier to buy a hardbound book
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Vince,
Naw.......then you wouldn't have an excuse to have son and grandson come over to fish and fix stuff.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid1962 View Post
Ahhhh, there's good news this morning!

Fern, you do not have to download ebooks to your computer and then to the Kindle. If you have a Kindle with 3G (the "magic" cell phone type signal) capability, it will download directly to the Kindle automatically. You can tell if you have a 3G signal when you turn on your Kindle and see on the very top an icon that says 3G.
Sid, I only mentioned downloading to your computer because I thought that's what you wanted to do . I'm so glad you got everything straightened out.

Venice, unfortunately our 13 year old grandson lives too far away to get his help !

I love my Kindle,

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Familiar Face

I live in rural Montana so only have the usual DSL (at that is even slow) I have a Kindle with no options but to load via computer. I have done it several times and it is fairly painless. I also had difficulty one time where I could not get the books I just purchased to download. I finally emailed Amazon and they notified me they were having difficulty and should be fixed in a few hours. Sure enough I tried later that day and no problem. I love my Kindle and other for that one problem have not had to wish I had access to WiFi at all. What I do is put the books I download on my Kindle and then on a CD which I keep separate. Then when I finish the book I delete it from the Kindle so I can keep straight when I have read or not but still have it on the CD if I want to reread at a later time. I also think Amazon keeps the files for you on their website. Don't know how I would travel now without it. No more having to bring several books or buy reading material while I am on vacation.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Good Book About the Caribbean

Try this one. Caribbean Moon. A good murder/thriller/humor thing based on a cruise ship and some of the islands.

My wife has a NOOK and I have a Kindle and we read it at the same time.

Pretty fast read and it made me laugh a few times.
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Murgman, I just downloaded it to my Kindle..thanks!

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Anyone read the "Lincoln Lawyer"? Just got it and will start toight...I know there is a movie out now too? Any good?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I use Booklending.com......sure hope they don't stop us from using this one.

Also.....I just bought Caribbean Moon!
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Anyone read the "Lincoln Lawyer"? Just got it and will start toight...I know there is a movie out now too? Any good?
Oh, I knew about the movie (haven't seen it yet), but I didn't know about the book. Let us know how you liked it!

I got Caribbean Moon, too. Thanks for the tip!

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old April 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Admiral

This one got good reviews, looks good..$2.99

Amazon.com: True Hollywood Lies eBook: Josie Brown: Kindle Store

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Lincoln Lawyer was a great read!
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Trip, I One-Clicked it!

Has everyone seen the new Wi-Fi Kindle with ads, for $114? It looks like there are small ads on the bottom of the screensavers and the home pages. What do you think? Would it be worth it to you to save $25 to deal with the ads? I guess you also get some special offers sent to you when you have this version.

If I didn't already have one, I'd be ordering this one. I don't really care what's on the screensaver OR the home page. I spend very little time looking at either one. And the offers sound pretty good. Besides, saving $25 is a few more books I could One-Click!

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Linda sounds good enough for me to read on the plane Friday....While I am away, Stuart Woods new one, Bel Air Dead comes out..I will preorder..I love his books, because from page one..I am in!

Last edited by Trip; April 25th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Admiral

So far, I am enjoying the Lincoln Lawyer, I could see it being a good movie too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Default Kindles and IPads and Books, Oh My:)

Just letting those who don't know that there's a new Stuart Woods book, Bel Air Dead, being released on Amazon April 26.

Judy
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Admiral

It's been a while since I read from my Kindle, but, it is loaded with goodies,and, my fave author Stuart Woods new one will be my choice as I fly across the ocean..I will probably fiinish it by the time I land.

Reading less on this cruise will seem odd but, I will be seeing parts of the world I have never seen. Down time by the pool if weather permits, will allow me some more reading time

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Just downloaded this free book, for my Kindle....looks good...

Amazon.com: One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mystery Series) eBook: Rod Hoisington: Kindle Store

I also started Caribbean Moon,on my cruise,and into it now at home..very good!

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Familiar Face

I have the Nook. I love it! got it the day after thanksgiving and have read 27 books so far. I think i have maybe spent $15 on those books. Most of the ones i have bought have been only a few dollars and the rest have been free. I love my nook and read with it every day

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Admiral

I received the Kindle with ads for Mother's Day and the ads do not bother me at all. They are only on the home pages and as screen saver. I have put 65 books on so far with most either costing $.99 or $2.99. Added the app for our laptop so when we are on a cruise hubby can read so have added a few free books that mainly he would be interested in. But my wish list at Amazon is sure growing.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Is this the newer less expensive one that has ads? I didn't realize that...

Old May 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Admiral

the Kindle with the ads is $114, you save $25 over the price without the ads. the one wth the ads is the one with wifi but not 3g.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Have you gotten any of the "special offers" with it, nlb1050?

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I have responded to one but so far have not been able to actually use it will try again tonight. It is one to get $10 from VISA for buying a book using your VISA, but the books listed have not been ones that I want or either have in hardback.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Barnes and Noble has an amazing deal on Ebay for the Nook with wifi, with a color touch screen on the bottom...Bruce bought it for me, and it's charging now. Will be interesting to see if it's better than my Kindle..time will tell.

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Keep us posted if you like it better than your Kindle?? I don't know how I lived without a Kindle all this time?? Had a suprise the other day, found an Amazon $10 gift card from over a year ago, still working on a $25 I got too...It is amazing the books you can get for a Kindle for so little $.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Admiral

All I did was send Bruce a link to show him the great deal on it, and, voila, it arrived today!

If I like it better I will keep it, read all my kindle books,and then sell it, if not it will be returned. I need another head to read them both! If it was the $$ all color one, that would be a different scenario.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Well, it's going back...Not enough differences to justify keeping hubbys thoughtful gift. Biggest difference is the color touch screen at the bottom, and the good price of $99.00. I have the cover for my Kindle,and, I would have to invest in one for the nook. I like the idea of holding it like a book..