Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Kindles and Ipads,and Books, oh my:)

With so many Cruisemates, with Ereaders of all kinds, and IPads, with probably more to come after the holidays, we should start a thread...We could share, and discuss all sorts of goodies Oh I guess I started that thread.

If anyone has book, authors whatever to share,,please do...oh and if anyone wants that list I have of mysteries set on ships, let me know, I will post.. We have so many book lovers here,this could get interesting. Share your faves with us.

I will start us off with ...has anyone listened to a book on their Kindle?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Never bought a Kindle. I've had my Sony for about 2 1/2 years and love it. I now have an IPad too. Love e:books and can't imagine going back to paper. I also get my magazines on my Ipad now instead of paper.

I've only read Clive Cussler's Plague Ship that involved a cruise ship.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Admiral

I don't own and have no intention of buying one of the ebooks. I don't buy books either - only read each one once so I go to my local library and get them for free ... or might buy a used paperback to take on a cruise. My library gets the books (particularly the best sellers and authors I like) right away.

There's the initial cost of the ebook, then around $9-10 for most others and though I've never tried one (as in just holding it), I don't think it would be as comfortable to hold as a book. I have observed cruisers using them and they seem to enjoy - it's just my opinion. So all those $10 +, I can add to my cruise piggy bank!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Admiral

I am an equal opportunity reader. I have been a library patron since I was a child, and waited for the bookmobile every week. Books I have read, after I loan them, I then donate

I listen to books on tape and I won't buy a book that costs over 10.00 on the kindle...I just joined my book club, again.

However you read, it's a good thing.Getting lost in a good book,soothes the soul......

Old December 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Don't have one and don't want one. I think hubby wanted to get me one for Christmas but when talking with my daughter I told her I like having the actual book in hand and plus I buy most of my books second hand. So it would cost more in the long run for me to have one.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Admiral

I just wrote a wonderful review of the Kindle... . Cyber space "sucked it up ".

I'll just say that I LOVE my Kindle. Also, every book I'm able to get for free or buy.

If you love to read it's worth looking into,
Fern

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I just wrote a wonderful review of the Kindle... . Cyber space "sucked it up ".

I'll just say that I LOVE my Kindle. Also, every book I'm able to get for free or buy.

If you love to read it's worth looking into,
Fern
Yeah, there's so many free or really really cheap books out there that the cost of buying them really isn't an issue. Especially if you like the classics. I just couldn't go back to paper. Most people who don't like or want an E:reader haven't tried them. My husband was like that, couldn't see the attraction whatsoever until I replaced my first Sony and gave him the old one...he's now completely hooked and also hates reading paper books.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't have mine yet, but most likely will in the near future...Gosh, there are so many to choose from. I thought it funny, at the top of this page there is an ad for "kindles", how weird. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, you just download a book to your kindle from the internet, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Admiral

I had a Sony Reader that was given to me several years ago. I loved it. Then they did an update and the thing never worked again. I sent it in, they sent it back, not working. I went through step after step trying to make it work, never did. I've looked at the Kindles, but not sure if I want to go that route again. I've looked at the I Pads and am undecided on that also. I still read paper books and love them. Just finished John Grishams, The Confession, very good book.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was also one of those who said no thank you. It didn't look right, and I would miss my books. Jim kept saying he wanted to get me one, and kept saying no.

We were in the airport in April. The lady next to me had a Kindle. She showed me how to use it, and how many books she could hold at one time. Jim reminded me that I had books in my suitcase, my computer bag, and purse.

I came home that night and ordered mine. I also ordered the cover that opens up like a book, so when holding it, feels like I have a real book in my hand.

One of the reasons it works for me is that I do not read the same book twice, and I also have a need for the newest books on the market. I use to buy them from not one but two book clubs and then donate them to our little town library. My book budget was very high.

My book expense has gone way down. I have an account with the company that sales my e-book, with all info stored, so it is a matter of clicking and it's mine. We were in a airport last week, and saw a book I would love to have in one of the book stores. It retailed for 35.00 I went and sat down at the gate, turned on my e-book and turned on the internet provided for free, and bought the same book I had just seen, for 9.99.

I no longer have tons of books in my suitcase ( I have been known to read 5 books on a cruise)

I have already decided what I will do when my e-book is completely filled up, and can no longer hold books. I will wrap it up, and give it to a patient at the hospital, or, send it with Jim to Iraq for the soldiers to read, and then I will buy me a new one.

I was slow to get on the band wagon, but have never looked back since. It is one of the best things I have ever received.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I understand your frustration...About 10 yeas ago, I had one of the first ebooks from RCA. At that time it was $350.00!
One of the early issues was getting content, so unlike today, even though, there are ongoing issues between publishers,
authors,and buying sites like Amazon.

One day, the content just stopped,and I had an expensive paperweight A few years later it sort of came back from the dead, with better content,and,with different buying options,so I bought the new one. Funny, how it was not that many years ago, but miles away from the ""newest" technology. How Amazon was able to do,what RCA could not. is amazing.

Donna, with a Kindle you search for a book, click to buy, it's charged to an account you have set up,and in seconds the book is in your Kindle. But every book, you might want to read, may not have a Kindle version.

Old December 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Admiral

technology..we old folks fight it, young folks embrace it..my grandson has one and was reading to me using his Kindle me last weekend so I guess it's time for me to upgrade

it's somewhat psychological for me about having a den with lots of books on my bookshelf .. growing up, I thought people who had lots of books in a separate library in their home, were rich and smart..everytime my son/grandson come to visit they want to know why I still have a landline phone, a turntable with actual albums and lots of books collecting dust that I have only read once (except the Bible).. my son keeps everything in perspective and reminds me that when he puts me in a nursing home he will donate my books, albums and turntable to the Veterans Home in my town
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Venice, I understand the need to have books around,although I donated many...mostly series of authors I love, I kept all my mysteries set in Florida,and some others, I just can't seem to let go of. Books and a cuppa tea, as you can see by my avita, have always given me comfort. I have called my kids,haphazaerd readers...I guess they did not get my reader gene

Old December 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

The RCA E-Book's failure was due to three main reasons.

1. It was ahead of its time. Even though people and businesses wanted to go "paperless" in theory people still wanted that paper in their hand and in their file cabinet.

2. Proprietary format: The format of the e-docs were proprietary and hard to find content or it took a lot of steps to format content to RCA specifications.

3. Reliability: The devices didn't work worth a dang. The battery life was low and the storage media was prone to failure. They also were not durable and slight drops and daily bumps and grinds would cause failure.

My company purchased about 100 of the devices for executives and we had about a 40% failure rate during the first year. No new devices were purchased and many were returned.

The new devices (IPad, Kindle and Sony) are now more reliable and the format is interchangeable making them more versatile.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My personal feelings about the devices are:

They are the wave of the future and eventually they will be the primary medium for reading books, magazines, news and other information. The financial pay pack to publishers, with the elimination or reduction in paper and printing costs, will push the industry in that direction.

The problems that I have with them are:

Longevity: Magnetic media is not permanent. Within a few years the disks will lose their integrity and fail.

Admit it. Most of you do not backup your computers and definitely don't backup your e-readers. Yes, you can re-download the books you have bought from some proprietary sources, like Amazon, but most of the free content or documents you have offloaded from your PC or other sources would be permanently lost if the device failed.

I can just see the angst when someone realizes that they just lost $5,000 worth of content because they dropped it in the pool or dropped it on the concrete.

There is still nothing better than having a paper book that is fairly permanent. 150 years from now the book, if reasonably stored, will still be there for people to enjoy. The e-book will be a paperweight.

Thirty years from now the old, Heinrich Heine, saying will probably be changed a bit to say: "Where they de-magnetize e-readers they will eventually de-magnetize people."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old December 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Mike, side by side, my RCI would look like a dinosaur, but that one had some features, my Kindle doesn't have

If you wanted a mystery, good luck finding one you would read, but if you wanted a research or technology tome, it was a yay! How far we have come, in such a short time!

Old December 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Admiral

All my e:books are backed up on an SD card. Not saying that also couldn't fail. There is a backup of all my purchases on both Kobo and the Sony site that you could download at any time. All the free stuff is very easily accessible through Google, Mobile Read, etc.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Admiral

It is my understanding from the Kindle boards, that books are stored, so if you loose your kindle, you can down load again, without charge. I don't know if this is true or not.

Sadly, Most people do not keep their books stored the way they should be.

I think in the future there will always be books, but I do think this is the way of the future.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 16th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
It is my understanding from the Kindle boards, that books are stored, so if you loose your kindle, you can down load again, without charge. I don't know if this is true or not.

Sadly, Most people do not keep their books stored the way they should be.

I think in the future there will always be books, but I do think this is the way of the future.
Luanne,

Yes you can recover your books from Amazon and some other sources. The problem is that they are there as long as the provider carries the book. That period is up to the provider and not you.

Unless someone is diligent about knowing what is on their e-book they won't be able to figure out what they actually lost unless they have only purchased media from one source.

Take care,
Mike

Old December 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Admiral

I, like so many of you above, swore I'd never buy an e-reader. Then, on my wife's favorite TV station (QVC naturally) she saw an E-Reader (a Pandigital Novel)and talked me into getting it as an early Christmas present, so I acquiesced.

As I've oft stated, I have an extensive library on the Second World War. One of the books I had just started (actually at the hospital the week before she died) was The Day of Battle, one of a trilogy of books on WWII by Rick Atkinson. The book with notes and index is at or just over 790 pages so it makes a hell of a paper weight.

My niece DeAnna talked me into opening up my new Novel. Now the hard cover book above I purchased for only 8 bucks or so at The Book Warehouse in Pigeon Forge. She suggested I download that one since I was reading it and I'd have something to read on my recent trip to Florida.

She has the Nook (also by Pandigital) and I asked if it was as good as the Nook. She's into all electronics and after playing with it for about 20 minutes declared it to be far better than her Nook. She said it has far greater capability than her Nook and unlike some e-readers, can be read in direct sunlight. Although the stuff that came with it said it had one gig it turns out it's an updated edition with 2 gigs. Of course none of this matters to me because all I'll ever do is use it as an e-reader. I took DeAnna's advice and the first book I downloaded was the one listed above and with my luck, it was $9.99 (probably because it is non-fiction and relatively recent (2007)).

Long story short, I like it. When I get used to it I'll download more books as I'm always reading anywhere from three to five books at a time. What I do miss is the "feel" of the book and hope that I can order for my Pandigital something such as a case with a cover that opens as described above by Luanne.

While It will not, however, take the place of my love for hard cover books, I view it as an "addition" type of thing to use and enjoy when convenient to do so.

While it's not for everyone remember, I was one of the strongest of naysayers about it and now I own and enjoy one. What it boils down to is, "Never say never."

Todd
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Admiral

One more question....How many books can you store on a Kindle....I thought literally thousands???

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I have a Kindle 2 and it holds 1500 books
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Donna, oh, at least a gazillion

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Ok, sounds like a Kindle will last a lifetime, nice!

Thanks girls :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The capacity of the e-reader is only limited to the size of the storage disk , operating system addressing, and perhaps the memory.

I think a Kindle can hold somewhere around 1500 books.

I'd like to know if the 1500 number is the number of books that are addressable in the directory or just a rough estimate based on the amount of storage.

BTW: Just so everyone knows. I have a Sony and Kindle e-reader. I have a lot of technical material on these but very little in casual reading material.

When a good Windows based tablet computer comes out then I will have one. I want a unit that does both computing and is an e-reader.

Take care,
Mike

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Which do you prefer Mike?

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Admiral

next thing is that the staple of my door backstop..the printed phone book yellow pages will be a thing of the past and we will receive a flashdrive on our door step

I will treat myself to a Kindle after the first of the year when they go on sale..I'm planning on taking a long airplane ride in March to Capetown, South Africa so I'll have plenty of plane time to figure it out
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Which do you prefer Mike?
The Kindle.

It has more (hacks) ,non-vendor software, that is available to customize. I have downloaded different fonts to make it easier to read.

Even without the hacks the display is better on the Kindle than the Sony. The Sony is also three years older than the Kindle.

Take care,
Mike

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Admiral

I didnt know I could change my fonts..geez! Here is a site I just found,looking to see if you can download from a library..Askville from Amazon.
Can you download books from other sources to the Kindle?

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Venice, they are getting rid of the phone books in our area. It will be a slow process, but they hope to do away with them in a couple of years. They say that people have the internet, and refer to that more often.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008