CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Dear Lurkers:) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/378786-dear-lurkers.html)

Trip December 17th, 2010 03:15 PM

Dear Lurkers:)

Dear Lurkers,
I noticed that in the good morning thread today, there were 13 responders, and 96 views! So that means there are many of you out there in Cruisemateville, that we have yet to hear from:)

Since we are in the holiday spirit, come pop in tomorrow, when the thread opens, or you can start it, and introduce yourself.

We would love to meet you all, and, wish you a happy holiday...whaddya say?:)

Lombard December 17th, 2010 03:48 PM

I popped in to see what was happening.

I have some pictures for RD to upload but since my life is boring I had nothing to say in the thread.

rollerdonna December 17th, 2010 10:25 PM

Liam, you have pictures for ME??

donna

Lakers Fan December 27th, 2010 04:02 PM

Lurkers

I met 51 people at the Meet and Greet of my last cruise as well as numerous other people on the cruise who are CM lurkers .They all said they prefer to read .I tried to change their minds but doubt that I did .

Trip December 27th, 2010 04:18 PM

Henry we have two people, who decided to come say hi, I am happy to say...Haimia and Bjm.....the welcome mat is always out, hopefully,more will put a toe in the water.That's warm Caribbean water,with a foo foo drink at the waters edge:)

Marc December 27th, 2010 04:44 PM

Trip, if you review the initial post, and then go back after the second post; that counts as two views. The only way to get a good count on number of actual people to look at a thread is to have only one post in the thread.

Still there are a lot of lurkers that should post and lot of posters that should lurk. :D

anniegb December 27th, 2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard (Post 1335332)

I have some pictures for RD to upload but since my life is boring I had nothing to say in the thread.

My life is boring too; I also think the thread is a North American thread :)

Manuel December 27th, 2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1337472)
My life is boring too; I also think the thread is a North American thread :)

Everyone is welcome here. :D

TM

anniegb December 28th, 2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1337515)
Everyone is welcome here. :D

TM

I know Manuel and thank you:D

However I was just stating possible reasons for relative small number of posters.

Another thought? Are most posters also Face Book?

Annie

PS I hope the roads are clear for you

Lombard December 28th, 2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1337543)

Another thought? Are most posters also Face Book?

FB is taking people away from these sort of sites for daily updates for friends.

But there is still a place for them in their speciality categories.

Jacqueline December 28th, 2010 02:20 AM

One lurker here :cool:

Jacqueline December 28th, 2010 02:21 AM

Hi Annie, where in UK do you live? Are you also happy with all the snow? :D

anniegb December 28th, 2010 02:42 AM

I don't have a FB a/c - never say never; I thought of opening one but discovered Skype.

MercedMike December 28th, 2010 11:32 AM

Facebook

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1337555)
I don't have a FB a/c - never say never; I thought of opening one but discovered Skype.

Well, I have a FB acct ...

My daughter posted some pictures on FB and told me to open an account so I could see them.

About 5 seconds after I opened the account, it "suggested" a whole raft of people I should "friend." I scratched my head a bit and went over the list and realized that as soon as I signed up it had RAIDED MY ADDRESS BOOK to get the names of those people!

That was the last time I visited Facebook. Who knows what else on my computer it is RAIDING?

To be perfectly honest about it, who knows what THIS site is raiding?

Kuki December 28th, 2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1337656)
Well, I have a FB acct ...

My daughter posted some pictures on FB and told me to open an account so I could see them.

About 5 seconds after I opened the account, it "suggested" a whole raft of people I should "friend." I scratched my head a bit and went over the list and realized that as soon as I signed up it had RAIDED MY ADDRESS BOOK to get the names of those people!

That was the last time I visited Facebook. Who knows what else on my computer it is RAIDING?

To be perfectly honest about it, who knows what THIS site is raiding?

We were raiding everyone's bank accounts, but it turned out to not be profitable. We found out everyone is broke :)

anniegb December 28th, 2010 01:17 PM

Mike

I have seen similar happenings via IM etc. Every few months I 'hoover' up my contact list. This has reduced the number of FB friend requests which I politely decline.

I know it is just not a generational concern - my 18 year old nephew severely restricts his FB contact list.

Annie

anniegb December 28th, 2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1337684)
We were raiding everyone's bank accounts, but it turned out to not be profitable. We found out everyone is broke :)

Just shows the Swiss and Cayman Islanders are good at their job.:D

Annie

Mike M December 28th, 2010 02:50 PM

FB does allow you to stop access to your address book when you register but it is a tiny little box you need to "uncheck".

I enjoy FB to keep up with actual friends and family but I have limited access. I have also ticked off a few people because I didn't accept their friend request. :) I don't have a reason to have 500 friends.

All of the "games" and "fun stuff" want access to everything and I never use them. It's also nice to be able to block the games without blocking the person. It was a little frustrating to open FB and there are 20 updates that are nothing more than people wanting you to water their fields, supply them with a stake to slay the vampire or eat the pancakes they made.

Otherwise, Facebook is a good way to share photos with family and keep in touch with those far away.

Take care,
Mike

Ron December 28th, 2010 11:06 PM

I use facebook fairly often with a few friends and out of town / state relatives. It's a good way to stay in touch and send photos, etc.
But, I'm not in to all the different games either.
I keep my info. pretty private and don't try to befriend someone just to make my list of friends grow, as some seem to do.
It can be fun but I usually only spend about 10 minutes a day on it.
It does seem to be taking the place of regular e-mails though.

katlady December 28th, 2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1337684)

SSSHH!!!!That was suppose to be a secret.

Mike M December 29th, 2010 12:45 AM

Kat:

You also need to put some tape over that webcam. We can see everything. ;):D

Take care,
Mike (This is a joke and we cannot access webcams)

katlady December 29th, 2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1337851)
Kat:

You also need to put some tape over that webcam. We can see everything. ;):D

Take care,
Mike (This is a joke and we cannot access webcams)

Well then you deserve what you see. I hope my hubby and I haven't scarred you for life.;-)

Lakers Fan December 29th, 2010 11:27 AM

I must confess that for a few months I was a lurker on CM .

bselmo January 2nd, 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard (Post 1335332)

Liam - You need to go on more cruises!!!!!!!!!rofl

Beth

Cruznut2 January 2nd, 2011 05:56 PM

I come in every day. I might not always post but most days I post somewhere. I have a Facebook account. I dont spend a lot of time there as I don't find it that interesting. I have found friends and relatives there but I like the friendliness of the forums much better.

Laura

Lombard January 2nd, 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bselmo (Post 1338996)
Liam - You need to go on more cruises!!!!!!!!!rofl

Beth

Yes I do!

I'll try and sort that out.

I'm off to Christchurch this weekend for a friends birthday.

Kind of freaky because of the 7.1 earthquake they had 4 months ago!!!!