Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Netflix download Quality

I love that I can come here and ask intelligent questions about anything and get a quick answer.

I have a ? about Netflix. I loved the Blockbuster service where I got a DVD in the mail which I could watch and turn in at the local store and get another DVD to watch the same day.

But everyone is using Netflix now (not to mention the stock going nuts).

I have never used Netflix for downloads (I did use their mail service but found the selection of DVDs to be bad).

I m a TV quality freak. I have a 65-inch LCD flat panel. If I get a Blu-Ray or watch an HD videocast the picture is amazing.

But If I download any movie - whether from Cox Cable, from Amazon or Hulu, the video quality is like old analog TV - definitely not HD.

Maybe they can do HD for a computer monitor, but not for my 65-in TV.

Am I right about the lack of streamng quality, or does Netflix offer the best video quality possible in a streaming format? Euqal to HD or BluRay?

Thanks to anyone who knows...
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It depends on your connection speed. Netflix's download quality will be based on the aggregate connection speed. The faster the higher the resolution.

If you have a 2Mb connection you might get 480p. If you have a 4Mb connection speed you might get 780p.

Remember the connection speed is the total speed between you and the server. Even if you have a 10Mb fiber connection the total speed is only as fast as the slowest link between you and the Netflix server.

So: You won't get 1080i. So don't download Avatar.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

See that what I thought. We watched a movie from "On Demand" Cox Cable last night and it was like standard TV, not HD at all. I have even tried downloads of HD shows through my blueray (which has an ethernet connection) and the download did not even finish.

I am listening to Jim Kramer talk about the Netflix stock like it is going to $500, and I'm thinking "My Blockbuster acct was GREAT, I could watch Avatar on bluray DVD and then turn it in at the store for a new movie" Netflix doesn't offer that.

My point is that download is not ready for primetime, yet Netflix stock is at $180/share.

I don't want to watch ANY movie on my computer (except maybe if it is about cheerleaders ) yet that is what Netflix is basically selling. Dumb.

You know Blockbuster is almost Chapter 11 because of Netflix (Stock is under $1/share), and I would take BB over Netflix any day.

I met some people who were going to get a $60/month fiber connection for their internet, just so they could watch Netflix movies. "We save on renting videos and we don't need a TV, we watch them on our computer" Nuh-uh, not for me.
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Paul,
If I were consumed by the quest for high quality video, I think that Netflix will not be the answer for you. I am however a big fan of the Netflix service though. Because our family doesn't watch tons of movies but we do have a nice 55 inch TV and the Blue Ray which we use to stream Netflix. I like it because for 10 dollars a month I can order as many movies as I like and it was a Godsend after the last two surgeries. I could sit in my chair with my leg elevated and pick through their selections until I found something captivating enough to keep my mind off my troubles for a couple of hours. I cannot justify spending megabucks to purchase Blue Ray Movies that will likely sit and never be watched enough to justify their hefty price tag.

It is not a perfect service, sometimes there are technical difficulties where the movie will sit buffering indefinitely, also the selection is not fantastic, it would be great if they had a better selection of new releases. I sat and watched "The Proposal" night before last and during most of the movie it had a very clear and sharp picture but it was not consistent, which might drive you crazy. Also if I am watching a streaming movie and the hubby is in the bedroom on his computer trying to do anything slightly bandwidth intensive, either my movie will suffer, or his application will.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hii BW - thanks for the advice.

The Blockbuster service sent me BluRay DVDs in the mail - always within one to two days (they send from a local outlet so it can be one day). I could have three at once, and when we were done we could take them to the BB store, trade them in for three nore BluRay movies and have those at home. They would not ship the next movie in your queue until you turn them in, but if the store is nearby you just pull in on your way anywhere and drop them off.

I did use Netflix before the downloads got popular, and their selection was horrible. The good movies were always out of stock (which is why being able to go to the store with BB is so good, that was where we got all the best titles). The Netflix site steers you to older flicks by featuring ones with "top rated user reviews" first. I recall I really had to dig deep just to find new releases on there.

It just shocks me how a much better service can get eaten alive by a much lesser quality one. But from what I hear it is all young people who watch anything video over 5 minutes on their computers. geezers like me want the home theater experience.
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Familiar Face

Are you watching older movies. Because I watched an old one and it didn't look great on my tv, but I just watched the Princess and the frog and it looked amazing.

Carnival Ecstasy 11-28-11

Bare with me...I'm new.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I am listening to Jim Kramer talk about the Netflix stock like it is going to $500, and I'm thinking "My Blockbuster acct was GREAT, I could watch Avatar on bluray DVD and then turn it in at the store for a new movie" Netflix doesn't offer that.

Not that you said you were researching Netflix as an investment, but a brief opinion for anyone who may.

Jimbo has been accused of front running short that particular stock along with several others that appeared on the Regulation SHO list. It's have been very short sold in the past with in excess of it's float in loaned shares. Hedgefunds like to yo-yo these SHO stocks and use Jimbo as the mouthpiece. The SEC subpoenaed Jim on what I am describing, but dropped the case after he was taped tearing up the papers on TV. I guess he had some juicy dirt on the SEC or the entire broken system is "too big to fail".

Long story short....have the scoop on Netflix before investing and be prepared to see some volatility. Sometime you can watch options trading to get a feel for how much volatility is coming. I was never any good at guessing which direction it was going to go, but big blocks of options definitely signals "HOLD ON TIGHT" as the market maker puts together his arbitrage. I have no idea what the fundamentals of Netflix look like, so I'm just commenting on off book "stuff" I've seen over the past 5-6 years.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

7x57

I agree with you completely - this looks like a "playah's" stock in my opinion, too. By the way, it is one of George Soro's biggest holdings (or was about a month ago, anyway). He never does anything without some kind of inside line.