Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Default Wet Windy Tuesday

Morning Mates from another storm-ravaged day in the Maritimes.
We were hit overnight with a powerful nor'easter, still raging on with high winds and a lot of rain (still no snow!) Power went off twice during the night, but it is on at the moment, so I am posting while I can.

Hopefully, off to the pool this morning for my last Aquafit class before the holidays, providing of course, that the power is on there....

Hope everyone is well this morning and not dealing with inclement weather..

donna
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

Another storm went through yesterday and another 6" piled up. Betty blew out the driveway when she got home last night so we're all dug out. She now appreciates me a little more after these last few snows. She asked: "How much longer before you're healed?" I have two more weeks before I can lift or exert myself so, hopefully, the snow will be done for the year by then.

Not much on the agenda for today. Just some washing to do.

On the bright side. Today is the first day of Winter and best of all the days will start getting longer. Heck, when the days get longer I say that Winter's over.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a warm Texas, where we are suppose to be in the upper 80's today. We slept with the windows open last night, it was so warm.

I woke up at 3:30 this morning in time to see the last of the eclipe of the moon. I didn't get up for it, but thought why not. I don't know what woke me up, but I just couldn't go back to sleep, so it will be a long, shortest day for me.

The questions are already flying about what Don't ask, don't tell will mean for the military. Congress satisfied their voting block, but now already over worked commanders will have to sort it all out. One question that has been asked around here is what happens to those who married in a state that allows same sex marriage. Will they come here, as a married couple? Do they get housing, and benefits? The answer is of course, no because the nation does not accept gay marriage. Well then, the questioner said, "I guess we will have to go back to court for that one too." Did I mention that the commanders don't need to worry about this crap right now?

Before someone gets their boas and pink hot pants in a wad, let me tell you that gays in the miltary have been around as long as I have, and they were not always closeted. For the most part they were accepted, and treated like any other soldier, as it should be. But they were soldiers and that's it. Now they have attached a new name on themselves. My prayer is that all will work out. That the soldiers will be able to go on with the fine work that is being done, and let those in Washington work out the other stuff, because afterall they have nothing else to do up there.

Sorry about that. I guess I am balancing on my soap box this morning.

I got so much done yesterday. I am as pleased as punch. I plan on doing more of the same today.

I hope all of you are doing well.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Well, all this white stuff has arrived, even though they said my area would "probably" not see it..About 2 inches fell, and flurries are falling again. The Cape really got zonked. Mother Nature is globally on the rampage it seems...

I never got to the supermarket yeaterday,and may not till Thursday, my ambition had just flown the coop;(

I don't have the kids today, so the day is my own, I guess I will do some beading...I made some vintage alphabet memory wire bracelets,and they sold well, including one i made for my Granddaughter, so, I ordered some more beads,and will whip up a new batch

Make it a good one,

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. Another beautiful day here in FL.

Trip, if you have a photo of that alphabet bracelet could you send it to me. I now have a little great niece that might enjoy that in a few years. :-)

Mike, you could sweep that wonderful wife of yours up, and take her off on a warm cruise far away from snow filled driveways while you heal up.

Donna, enjoy your weather day. Hopefully the lights will stay on and you'll be able to go for your swim.

Luanne, enjoy the warmth.

Take care everyone.
Phyll
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest..........still wet & windy........but at least no white stuff.........

Trip......the alphabet bracelet sounds cute.......would love to see it also.........

Y'all have a good day...........

Sharon
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Ladies here is the bracelet...onw woman at work, bought it for her friend who loved word games....it's a conversation piece, pun intended

Linda Pearl's Photos | Facebook

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
First Mate

Good morning from a frosty NW Ohio. We were to get 1-2" of snow, but the air was so dry that it never hit the ground. Freezing drizzle due later! Ugh!

I am a self-employed clerical assistant. I do bookwork and other office tasks for 5 small companies/non-profits. This was after 21 years as an office manager for a local company that is now belly-up! DH is a factory worker for one of the big 3 (ok, used to be a big 3). We have DD1 who is married, no kids and is finishing up her pediatric residency. DD2 is engaged and is working on her doctorate in physical therapy.

Both daughters are with their high-school sweethearts! We live in a rural area. We have a 7 year old Australian shepherd and will soon get a miniature Australian shepherd. Thanks for the name suggestions. One is under heavy consideration!!!

Well, that is enough to bore you all silly for now. Have a great day, cruisemates!

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny Connecticut. We barely missed getting snowed on. The storm drifted to the East.
I wish everyone a beautiful stress-free day.

Spring is only three months away.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates.. and a special welcome to Haimia!

I'm back out on my patio perch enjoying my morning coffee, and catching up on CruiseMates. We're only heading to about 70 today, but winds are calm, so it seems like perfect golf weather, so what do you think I'm doing today? Especially since we're expecting rain, and some cooler temps the next couple of days.

Mrs. Kuki is really enjoying her painting classes. She's painted a bird, and it actually looks like a bird, so it appears she has some talent (her father was an artist). I'm trying to convince her she could make more money painting houses... for real, not on canvas

The eldest Kuki Jr. is coming to town this Frid. for 4 days, while his office is closed for the holidays. His wife is a teacher and is going to Mexico for a couple of weeks with her family since she has the time. Looking forward to seeing Jr. and playing a couple of games of golf with him, plus he hasn't seen our little winter escape condo yet.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Good morning all!

Allow me also welcome you to Cruisemates, Haimia. You're not boring anyone on this thread, believe me. Matter of fact, in reality that's one of the main reasons of what this thread is all about. We all love hearing what's going on in our "family" and I assure you, it is a family in every meaningful sense of the word, one that was instrumental in getting me through the roughest days of my 63 years and a family that still provides me tremendous support.

It's cloudy and cool here with a projected high of around 41F.

Well, I guess there's no White Christmas in store for you, Luanne and Phyll (and Ken and Laura and Ray for that matter). Maybe Mike, you can convince "A Higher Authority" to provide that for our deep South neighbors.

Actually, here in East Tennessee they're calling for snow showers on Christmas Day. I just hope it's that and will not prevent everyone from driving up here from a little town outside of Knoxville about 100 miles away for our big family Christmas dinner.

Sharon, I don't know exactly where you live but I thought I heard something on the Weather Channel of Washington State possibly getting up to around 70 this week. Hope that includes where you live, unless of course, you want Mike to include you as well in my requested appeal to him.

Any possibility for a White Christmas for you, Trip? Sorry, but as yet I still can't get myself to join Facebook. Of course I'm sure that someday I eventually shall.

Donna, your weather is typical for that part of Nova Scotia but I still bet it's more than worth the benefit of living in such a gorgeous area. I still recommend a generator. You two do have such a lovely home.

Phyll, you're making me jealous about your Florida weather even at this time of the year when everyone wants snow. One year we visited a late Aunt down in Coral Gables who lived on the waterway. All of the boats would pass at night with all of their decorations and I couldn't get it out of my head that, "Why are all these people putting up Christmas decorations in the middle of July?"

Boy Luanne, your weather can go from one extreme to the other almost literally overnight!

Well, gotta' get to cleaning for Christmas, I've already the Leg 'o lamb scheduled for Thursday evening defrosting alongside the turkey and the prime rib for Saturday. The lobster tails and shrimp, I'll move down from the freezer to the fridge on Thursday. Christmas Eve I'm serving shrimp bisque
followed by the nine ounce tails. Fran said the one Christmas eve I made the bisque not froma recipe but from ingredients that I thought should go into it, it was to die for. This year I'm taking a huge gamble I can duplicate the effort.

By the way, here I remembered to enlarge my font and make it bold and haven't seen anything from Ray lately. Course I could have missed it. Hope they're both okay.

Also I hope everyone has a marvelous day and of course, Prayers for all of you on my list as well as a request for Blessings upon each of you, continues.

Todd
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Admiral

good morning from New Orleans..weather is actually pretty good (high 50's) so it was nice this morning on my daily walk

all my Christmas shopping is done so I can just kick back for the week and do nothing but watch reruns of my favorite tv show "The Closer" on A&E at 1pm everyday

my son indicated that once he completes 'Colonel College" next June he might be posted to Hawaii, which means next year this time I'll be there celebrating my grandson's 8th birthday and Christmas
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Default Wet Windy Tuesday

You couldn't have described it better, Donna! It's a mess out here. I like rain, and even I am getting tired of it, and I can tell you, so are the people living in the fire areas!

I received an e-mail telling me that the Christmas gift box arrived in Minnesota, also a rundown on my mother. As many of you know, she's 95, suffers from dementia and living in a care facility near Minneapolis. EX-DIL basically says that mother is failing, seems dazed and confused and says she's lonely. Christmas morning, she will be visited by ex-DIL, her daughter, husband and 20-month old Joey. He should raise her spirits!

Wendell update: Doing well and driving again, so that's good news.

Yesterday, Keith started his Christmas shopping. I know . . . Today he gets his leg operated on once again for a basal cell skin cancer that was caught a few weeks ago.

Well, I must bite the bullet and go out in the elements. Grocery shopping and errands await.

Have a good day and stay safe, warm and dry.

Judy
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Todd this is the public link to FB, anyone is supposed to be able to view this picture....

Linda Pearl's Photos | Facebook

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good afternoon, missed morning with present wrapping.
Not a beautiful day here in GA, rain and cold.

We may have snow showers on Christmas day and that would be a bad thing. Our 3 1/2 year old grandson (Josh) is getting a battery powered motorcycle from us and we are expecting about 20 people over. He will ride in the house if he can't go outside.

Got to get out today and finish my shopping and get all the turkeys and hams.

Have a great afternoon.

Trip-I love the bracelet.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

BJM,

I am from Atlanta. How far are you?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Good Afternoon CruiseMates!
Just been working through the morning with the kids to help them get their schoolwork done. Then after lunch we went outwith our tubes and sleds to have a little fun while the snow lasts. The temps are in the high 30's today so it is starting to melt. We decided to go hunting some new sledding hills and I told the kids I knew of one on the backside of an old cemetery. So I drove up to the top of the hill at the cemetery so we could see the hillside in question and we decided we'd come back another time since we were already pretty wet and a little cold. So I started the trek back down the hill when my truck starts sliding sideways down the hillside in the truck and came to rest about 5 feet away from a brick wall. Luckily there were no head stones in this area. So I put it in to 4 lo and eventually got the truck to move kind of in a sideways motion. In the meanwhile the kids are screaming that we're all gonna die, or the cops are gonna come arrest us etc... It was a challenge to get the truck out through the brick pillars that are on each side of the entrance since I was sliding diagonally and moving forward all at the same time. Well that was the excitement of the day! So now I need a nap to recover from that excitement!

Good to see you posting Todd! Welcome to our lurkers, glad you decided to hang out and visit with us a while. Have a great day all!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne,
I live between the "Big Cities" of Rossville and Chickamauga, just a few miles from Chattanooga, TN.

I was born in LaGrange, GA just south of Atlanta and went to high school in Winder, GA.
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I must confess I am one of the "lurkers" that Trip talked about. I only post when I feel I can answer a specific question. However, today was a day when I got the best bargains in my shopping career.

I saw an ad in my local paper for a Pop Up Store (a store that opens in a vacant store for a short period of time). They said they had designer handbags at less than warehouse prices. Only carried 3 brands, so I won't mention them here but here's a hint - sold on QVC by a lady named "K", her husband "B" and another brand that rhymes with Jello. There had to be at least a thousand brand new bags in the store, with prices as low as $25.00 each. I got three beautiful designer leather bags and my total was $100. Merry Christmas to me. I love a bargain and with coupons, etc. I couldn't have done better in a regular store. They are closing on Friday but hopefully they will return next year.

Cookies are baked, tree is up and 80 Christmas cards have been mailed. Grandchildren sleeping over tomorrow. I told them no getting up in the middle of the night and opening their presents. I wrap each one's in different paper and don't tell them which pile is theirs.

My daughter had a great idea. She bought a 4 foot pre-lit fake tree and only decorated it with ornaments bought on vacations. She put it on an end table in her den and it is great to look at it and remember places we have been together as a family.

Happy end of the day to all.

Leyla from Long Island
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Leyla, we need to to drop in and say hi! If I had known about your pop up sale, I would have jumped on a plane..see) I am green with envy!!

I always wondered if B Makowsky was married to Kathy..Both their bags are sold in Marshalls and TJ Maxx here, but never at those drop dead prices.LUCKY YOU! I would have hyperventilated My mind is like that jello brand, I cannot think of what it is?

Sounds like you surely have your act together!

Bjm..thanks so much!

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Trip - my daughter just called and I told here I was "high" on the smell of genuine leather. Yes Kathy is married to Bruce and they also own Tignanello, rhymes with jello. Some people were walking out of the store with bags bigger than Santa's sack.

Leyla
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Leyla, Your daughter is right..bet most ladies there were close to fainting! Tignanello, ok I have one..bright yellow!! Boy they have cornered the handbag market huh!!!

Old December 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Familiar Face

Freezing cold, and yet again no snow. I have a feeling we will be having a blizzard soon. So much for the first day of winter.

Carnival Ecstasy 11-28-11

Bare with me...I'm new.