Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

As we have for the last .... years, we'll be staying home! Going out on a night when people who don't drink all year, DO and DRIVE makes us very happy to stay home where we're safe !

I'll also be following John Heald's New Year's eve in NY on the Carnival site.

I may make something out of black-eyed-peas, Good Luck for the year !

Happy New Year to everyone!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

I'm attending my Church's 10 pm service, we have fellowship after and will be home on my back porch at midnight watching the fireworks display from Jackson Square
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Since I moved to Florida I have heard nothing about "First Night" Celebrations. These are alcohol free family oriented events going on at various places in the city usually ending with fireworks. I used to enjoy the celebrations in Concord NH. One year I took Patty to a "First Night" in Wolfeboro NH. She loved seeing the parade and the fireworks. I know that Boston use to have a "First Night" too. Is that still happening Trip? Since I have been in Florida I have stayed home every year.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 30th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I work NY Eve until 10:45 PM and the next day from 2:15 to 10:45 PM. I plan on going home, slicing some cheese, add some crackers and open a bottle of Chilean Red and enjoying NY Eve. Then on NY Day, I hope somehow to catch part of the Rose Bowl between Wisconsin and those boys from Texas somewhere while I am at work..............................
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Everything I have heard is, the aiports are still a mess,and patience is fading fast,,people on the tarmac for hrs on end, and might be at the end of the weekend till it migght be back to normal.

One good thing is a marching band did make it to NYC..I didn't catch where they came in from....That's a very good thing!
Fundamentally, the problem is that flights now are normlly over 80% full, and probably even more full over the holiday period.

If an airline has sold 80% of its seats into and out of a city (New York, for example) and it has to cancel one day's flights, those passengers will fill all available seats for the next four days unless the airline operates extra flights to clear out the backlog. Further, customers who hold confirmed reservations on the operating flights have priority for those flights so the people whose flights were cancelled have to wait.

If an airline has sold 90% of its seats into and out of a city, as is very likely during the holiday period, the situation is even worse. It will take nine days to clear out the backlog without extra flights.

But actually, an airline that uses an affected city as a hub might be able to free up some capacity by rerouting some passengers through another hub.

Norm.