Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default What inspired you and what depressed you in 2010

2010 was a bit of a rough ride for the world economy. And for westerners, it continued to be difficult with 2 wars going on.

What inspired you in 2010? Could be personal, or could be a world leader or event.. whatever it was, share it.

And on the flip side... what depressed you in 2010 that you hope will change or improve in 2011?

For me, my inspiration was a person. Ana Lyn Valencia. She is my mother's Filipino live-in care-giver; a slight 24 yr. old who joined our family last April, direct from the Phillipines. She has made a world of difference to my mother's well being. She has wonderful character, and is so giving, and so cheerful throughout. She has really brought my mother to new life, after some difficult times.

I now understand so many cruise lines try and employ Filipino staff.

What depressed me this year was the lack of improvement in the economy, with so many people still out of work, and still losing their homes.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

This one is easy for me. Just recently I related the story of a my sisters friend. He established a scholarship fund to a Community College in Massachusetts. The scholarship will be designated for students with disabilities. He named it The Tommy, Mary and Laura DiNardi Scholarship Fund For Students With Disabilites. I work in disabilities and know well how much harder they have to work to achieve goals. This scholarship fund is well deserved.
This year was not without great sadness for me. My sister passed away in January. Over the course of the year several others close to me have passed away.
In the coming year I wish everyone great health and hapiness.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 31st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

What inpires me everyday is looking at the face of my wife, my kids and my grandchildren. They give me the inspiration and motivation to do what I need to do and get through each and every day even when I don't feel up to it.

What depresses me is the negative attitudes and fear that I see running people's lives. Perhaps the reason this depresses me is that I must fight against these things each day and I will not let them win.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:59 PM
Admiral

I would have to say that my husband and son inspire me. They inspire me to be a better person and are my sunshine on those cloudy days.

What depressed me is the negativity and lack of caring for one another. It seems so many people are on this path. The self important attitudes I see in people each day saddens me. I sometimes wish I wasn’t so sensitive to it.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Admiral

The rescue of the Chilean miners inspired me. It showed how the world can come together to help their fellow man.

I was depressed by the fear- and hate-mongering that so many politicians and other public figures foment, and just to further their own agendas. What is more sad to me is that so many people believe it.
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Admiral

What inspired me the most was that we were able to take some wonderful trips. And also the wonderful peaple here on Cruisemates.

I am most depressed by the continous lack of peace in the world.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Admiral

what continues to inspire me is my son and my grandson and also that every wednesday/saturday night at 959 pm i could win some serious $$$$ in the lottery

I am most depressed by the polarization of our political party system & the boldness and meaness of both some elected leaders and the media pundits..when will the goodness of Man make an appearance and say enough is enough
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM
Admiral

My inspiration is a "who", a young Canadian by the name of Justin Hines, who, despite his crippling handicap, has the most positive and optimistic outlook on life, which shines through in the music he writes and sings.
His music has given me many hours of pleasure, comfort and hope, especially in the times which I have felt depressed, particularly at Christmas spent without family or friends.

donna
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

The thing that has inspired me is my hubby and son, who should have just given up after we lost Joe is such a way, but instead have worked their way back up.

The thing that saddened me was the knowledge that our Justice system is a game played and does not really offer justice.

I look forward to 2011 as we grow stronger every day. We smile more, and laugh a little. It is nice that when I go out in the wind, I don't feel like the wind is blowing through my heart.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Luanne..one gets stronger alittle everyday..judging by your most recent posts, you are

I suspect your beloved Falcons and my Saints may meet again real soon in the playoffs..if so, we will have to make a small symbolic wager..fyi I put a deposit down for the new 2012 VW Beetle that will debut in May (thanks to Oprah) and it comes with a scale model that I can add to my collection that you so nicely contributed to

the justice system might not always be served but Karma is the great equilizer (just doesn't always happen when we want)
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I think you are right about the meeting in the future. You are on buddy!!

Congrads on the new car. Good for you.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Admiral

What depresses me I cannot freely post on this board because with 100% certainty it will be removed .
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
What depresses me I cannot freely post on this board because with 100% certainty it will be removed .
Henry... that's a very odd thing for someone to say with over 5000 posts in a year.
Old January 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Henry... that's a very odd thing for someone to say with over 5000 posts in a year.
How about if I send you a PM answering this question and you can tell me if its permissable for this board ?
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Admiral

What inspired me ( A ) I survived another year! ( b ) It was inspiring to see so many people come together when the miners in Chile were trapped for a record number of days, but yet, the whole world came together with technology, help and just plain concern and prayers--they all made it out alive. Like Dave said, it shows the whole world CAN come together, if only they would. ( c) I'm inspired that the country , in general, supports and respects our service people again-- they are called upon to go--they go--they fight--they die -- they're wounded etc. and when they come home, someone cares. Unlike Vietnam when you were called upon, you went, you fought-- you died --were wounded and it seemed like who gave a rats behind --so I'm pleased to see the service people have the respect and gratitude that most people show them! Thank you fellow Americans for that!

Depressed ( a ) That we have two wars going on to which we have to send our service people to fight and die. (b) That the illustrious people we have elected year after year to go to D.C. have become so out of touch with reality that the country is suffering greatly because they don't seem to be able to agree on anything. Do they actually know or care that they, the congress, actually work for us, the people? Do we need to remind them?
( c ) I'm concerned about the economy and the high rate of unemployment that has affected so many good and decent people--so many homes lost to foreclosures, peoples very lives changed and uprooted --when will it end--will our learned heads in D.C. finally grow up and quit the bickering?
But, as we go into another year, we have to have the hope and attitude that it will indeed get better !
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Admiral

What occurred in Chile was a great inspiration but unfortunately things like that tend to poof .Its the same as people coming together in the time of a natural disaster .One thinks that mankind will be civil to each other but its just a fluke .
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:44 AM
Admiral

Henry..interesting observation about human nature..right after Hurricane Katrina, the local folks extended a level of civility and caring never before practice (all except for our elected officials) for a short period of time (few weeks) but then went back to non caring selfish attitudes of the past

however, after more then 5 years, volunteers from out of town continue to come to New Orleans to help us rebuild and bring a loving,caring, can do spirit that has bonded with the local citizens that were most impacted

human nature at it's best is a Blessing ...at it's worse, it's discouraging and sad
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately primarily its the latter ,Venice
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Henry..i think we all need to be careful and not get caught up in the "media hype" (where they focus on the negative) about human nature

I suspect there are more acts of kindness on an one to one basis that no one knows about, that far outweights the crap that we are constantly pounded with thru various media outlets
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Admiral

For me the 2010 happy story is the again the Chilean miners, and going into 2011 the saddest thought is how the Muslim extremists will or may affect our lives during this year. Let’s be honest, we got through the SUPER power nuclear threat, the cold war etc but these guys,,,mmm, it’s all different. I could say they are scary, but they would love that, but actually they are not. I’ll keep living my life….

Oh dear Henry, you appear to have a problem with Kuki and deleted posts, mmmm, amazing how he puts it back on the person as if totally innocent... my A
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
For me the 2010 happy story is the again the Chilean miners, and going into 2011 the saddest thought is how the Muslim extremists will or may affect our lives during this year. Let’s be honest, we got through the SUPER power nuclear threat, the cold war etc but these guys,,,mmm, it’s all different. I could say they are scary, but they would love that, but actually they are not. I’ll keep living my life….

Oh dear Henry, you appear to have a problem with Kuki and deleted posts, mmmm, amazing how he puts it back on the person as if totally innocent... my A
Ah DavidB is back with us for 2011. A wonderful way to start the new year.

FYI Henry's post was odd because (as far as I know) he's never had a post deleted by me or anyone.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki ,kuki ,lend me your comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Ah DavidB is back with us for 2011. A wonderful way to start the new year.

FYI Henry's post was odd because (as far as I know) he's never had a post deleted by me or anyone.
You have deleted at least 2 of my posts and another person with deletion capability has deleted at least 2 of my posts .

I am 100% positive that if I chose to post what is on my mind in this instance it too will be deleted .
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
You have deleted at least 2 of my posts and another person with deletion capability has deleted at least 2 of my posts .

I am 100% positive that if I chose to post what is on my mind in this instance it too will be deleted .
Well Henry, if that's true (and I have no recollection of deleting any of your posts) 4 out of 5214 isn't doing too bad You are a predigious poster.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Admiral

True ,but I am still sure that if I were to post my true feelings on the subject of this thread it will be deleted .Therefore ,I shall refrain from doing so .
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

What inspires me are my family, and some very wonderful people in New Orleans who are still hurting and need help,but are not giving up! It's been a long hard struggle for them, and still they contiue on!

Our elected people bother the hell outta me!
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRT View Post
What inspires me are my family, and some very wonderful people in New Orleans who are still hurting and need help,but are not giving up! It's been a long hard struggle for them, and still they contiue on!

Our elected people bother the hell outta me!
Sorry James confused on this one as not being from the USA, are you telling me that people in N.O. are still in trouble after all these years, but the US can send troops, aid and all that kind of stuff to places that the people within one of their own states dont relate to or have a kinship with, but their tax dollars go to bigger "causes" instead of being spent at home first?,,,sorry just guessing your view. If true then we live in a very very mad world, look after your own first, then you can look to the rest if you feel the need. By showing others you care for your own is the biggest example you can give to anyone, if you dont do that then the message or direction or potential life you present to others as to "how life should be" becomes shallow,,,,very shallow.

Ahhh Kuki, what would I do without you,,,,I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and a propserous New Year,,,David
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Sorry James confused on this one as not being from the USA, are you telling me that people in N.O. are still in trouble after all these years, but the US can send troops, aid and all that kind of stuff to places that the people within one of their own states dont relate to or have a kinship with, but their tax dollars go to bigger "causes" instead of being spent at home first?,,,sorry just guessing your view. If true then we live in a very very mad world, look after your own first, then you can look to the rest if you feel the need. By showing others you care for your own is the biggest example you can give to anyone, if you dont do that then the message or direction or potential life you present to others as to "how life should be" becomes shallow,,,,very shallow.

Ahhh Kuki, what would I do without you,,,,I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and a propserous New Year,,,David
David,
Sad as it is, New Orleans has a very long way to go to get back where it was.There are alot of people there in dire staights,and need help more now than ever
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Trillions of dollars being spent by the USA in Afghanistan ,Iraq and other areas could instead be used to feel the homeless and to rebuild american cities devastated by hurricane, earthquakes and other disasters .
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Admiral

another inspiration for me in 2010 was being on the Carnival Liberty in October on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise and enjoying the performances of artists that I had never heard of or seen perform before...it inspired me to look forward to next year's cruise on the Carnival Valor

what depressed me was I had to get off the ship
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree with Luanne...

What really depresses me is when the justice system messes up. The O.J. trial outcome was one of the most depressing things in my life (seriously) - I had to quit my job I was so down.

The thing is - as Americans we believe in our system of justice - we believe it works and we depend on that as a means to make sense out of our society. We have a codified system of behavior that is enforced (not voluntary, like religion). For Americans, I think they find a real sense of meaning in that system.

But when it breaks down it makes your whole world topsy turvey.

So - what really depresses me is people who are dissatisfied with our American system. It is still the best country in the world, and I get really depressed when I hear people talk about it like we are just pretenders.

Hey - we (and the allies) won WWII, we went to the moon, we created the personal computer and HDTV. We invented the airplane, the telephone, the telegraph and the light bulb. This is a GREAT country.

I know so many young kids who were not taught all of that in school. They are "truthers" who think the World Trade Center was a gov't plot and that the moon landing was staged.

THAT kind of stuff really depresses me. How do you explain to a young person who thinks that, that not only are they wrong, but that harboring such ideas will make them cynical and probably a failure in society?