Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Airline security

Three weeks ago when I left for my cruise I anticipated very strict security at the airport .Instead ,it was just the opposite .I mentioned to a homeland security employee that there was tighter security at my local public library and he just shrugged .

Has anyone who has flown in the past few months found tighter security ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Admiral

I don't know what you mean by "tighter security?" Have I had to go through the new scanners making me remove everything including boarding pass from pocket; yes. Have I been held up by incompetent TSA employees that can't stare at a screen without chatting with their friends slowing up the line; yes. Have I seen anything that would make me feel safer; NO!

Until we allow profiling, we will never be safe. All the hoopla and supposed checks we go through now do not provide safety. The changes in ROE made immediately after 09/11 including hardening of cockpit doors has added more to airline security than 10,000 TSA employees.

I remember one passenger made the news because his one quart plastic bag said "Kip Hawley was an idiot;" I respected my fellow frequent flyer that did that. Have you ever wondered why the bag for liquids can be one quart and not one gallon? Have you figured out why 100ml and not 150ml? Have you realized that you can take a pint bottle of alcohol and pout into 100ml containers and put them in your one quart bag and then board with it? Aren't these rules silly?

I used to fly every week for my job; both before and after 09/11. I have had to put up with every stupid rule. I have also lived overseas during the last four years. No other country requires these stupid rules for their domestic flights; however, they have to follow for flights to USA. In fact, on one Japanese domestic flight I boarded the flight without ever having to show ID.

As you can tell; I have strong opinions on this topic.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Admiral

On my last flight prior to my cruise the pilot came out to converse with the passengers on his way to the lavatory .He said he was from NYC and wanted to know if a passenger would be willing to listen to sports scores and give them to a flight attendant . I found that to be a bit odd . Everyone seated in my vicinity had the same opinion .
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have been to many airports in the last three years, and have really not noticed a lot of differences. I really haven't thought a lot about it, because I am a go with the flow kind of girl. The need it, I provide, they want it, I say okay.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Angry Airline security

Everybody knows that airline security in the US is a total farce. The Israelis laugh themselves sick over it. In Israel young Arabs get a thorough going over and elderly white haired Europeans do not, and nobody thinks that is somehow strange.

I don't see that it is any tougher or easier than before, just that they keep changing the rules. Now babies are allowed their sippy cups, and a couple years ago that lady was jailed for having one. My CPAP machine that used to get a thorough check is now waved through. But I had to take a plastic pill box out of my pocket last time. They are just making it confusing and difficult without providing any more security.

Frankly I think most of the traveling public is sick and tired of it.

I am definitely NOT a trained terrorist and I can think of several invidious plans involving trains, buses, or simply private trucks that would make a worse mess than 9/11. But we continue to have security no place but at airports and Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Either let trained security experts do it RIGHT or quit the politically correct fooling around.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Admiral

It really is a farce .I nearly got arrested for complaining how lax security was on an airline I flew on recently .
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Keep in mind that when I flew to Orlando last month it was the first time I'd been on a plane in almost 18 years. My niece DeAnna told me what to expect (they travel so much overseas that they have that what I call "easy access" card).

Because I have an ICD I have to go through the whole schmeer...pat frisk, etc.

I have to say that both in Knoxville and at Orlando the security folks were top notch professionals (unlike the "rent a dead beats" that used to do "security" checks back in the nineties and through which you could probably carry an M-79 grenade launcher and a Kaloshnikov).

They were extremely thorough, friendly, understanding and missed nothing. Maybe that's not the norm but that is what I experienced and I had no problem whatsoever with complying in every regard. Following the inspection I told them I had taught search and frisk procedures for many years and they were as good as anyone I had ever seen.

Todd
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Admiral

In NY and LA security is nearly non-existant
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Admiral

Henry..you must have flown an older narrow body (or commuter) aircraft because most aircraft have access to network broadcast of sporting events and usually the pilots announce updates on the PA system

Todd..in smaller (spoke) airports, the security experience is alittle less hectic ..in the huge international connection hubs security experiences are much more intense then is what is visiable to the customer
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I guess I may be in the minority, but I fully support the new TSA security rules. I fly in and out of O'hare and most recently I flew round trip to San Diego. I went through the new screeners at both airports. I made a joke to the screener that whomever the TSA officer that just had to screen a picture of me naked should get some sort of "hazard" duty extra pay!

Seriously though, I like the idea that each and every person is throughly screened before allowed to board an aircraft I am flying on. And I do mean EVERYONE. Profiling may work in Israel, but in the US it won't. We just saw recently where a young asian male was able to get onboard an aircraft disguised as an elderly white male. Anyone can go out and get a good disguise, like a priest or nun outfit and fly. We have terrorist sneaking explosives on in their underwear now. Does anyone think that people so bent on terror wouldn't have a problem trying to sneak explosives onboard using a baby or child if they thought they could get away with it? If we start profiling and eliminating people from a screening because they "appear" to not fit a terrorist profile to a security officer at the airport, we are setting oiurselves up for a hugh disaster! I personally want everyone, including me and my family, and I mean EVERYONE throughly screened before I get on an airplane.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Admiral

I remember one flght AFTER 9/11 having my nail clippers and tweezers taken away. On that same flight, I was allowed to bring on board a can of nuts, which was sealed with a metal lid that could easily slice .... well, you know.

When it comes to airline security and customs., I'm a "yes sir/no sir" kind of person (or yes ma'am/no ma'am as the case may be!) I refuse to mess with some arrogant SOB who has the power to make me miss my flight or wreck my holiday. One of my recent border crossings, I was most annoyed by a US customs guard, who - basically wanted to know what my nationality was. It wasn't enough that I answered his questions about my citizenship (which is all that should matter), and where I was born (in Canada) ... but he wanted to know where my parents were born. What did it matter? He had no way to verify my answer anyway. Or, then there was the guy who wanted to know who owned the car I was drivnig.

okay ... going off on a tangent.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
Profiling may work in Israel, but in the US it won't. We just saw recently where a young asian male was able to get onboard an aircraft disguised as an elderly white male.
Not to mention the fact that in the United States there really isn't a profile of crazy, violent people based on looks. The guy who blew up the building in Oklahoma City AND the guy who flew an airplane into a building in Houston were white American males. Israel's system uses more than looks, but does not have to contend with the tremendous volume of air passengers in the USA.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Aidan,

It was Austin where the man flew his plane into the building.

Profile does not mean just the color of the skin, but also behaviors, which is what the people in Israel are trained to do.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

[QUOTE=venice;1339497]Henry..you must have flown an older narrow body (or commuter) aircraft because most aircraft have access to network broadcast of sporting events and usually the pilots announce updates on the PA system

I flew on JET BLUE
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Admiral

I am being really honest here in my response

"used to fly every week for my job; both before and after 09/11. I have had to put up with every stupid rule. I have also lived overseas during the last four years. No other country requires these stupid rules for their domestic flights; however, they have to follow for flights to USA. In fact, on one Japanese domestic flight I boarded the flight without ever having to show ID"

OKAY FINE, but what you are all missing in my opinion is this,,,if its seen pro American or British they will hit, internal or external flights and at any time with the right people onboard.

Are the people doing the prevention doing the job,,,mmmm. Are we looking in the right places, maybe next time it could be a cruise ship with 3,000 people on board in the middle of whatever water, titanic remade

Should you be relaxed on any flight or bulk transfer,,, no.

The next time they will,,,,and its coming,, as before they will come up something we have not seen or experienced before, thats what they do, something new, not what has happened before that we plan for. It could be a plane a ship, a major shopping mall

So my answer,,profile every single person on a plane, on a ship or in your country, and if in doubt,,drag them in and everything they had on them either personally or in hand luggage or in the hold or at home.

You see in my opinion we are not tough enough, we still stand by civil liberty and the sense of inconvenience when others will use that very weakness against us,,,,Time to take it and toughen up