CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Feds Raid Jam Fest Cruise Embarkation - 15 Arrested (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/379263-feds-raid-jam-fest-cruise-embarkation-15-arrested.html)

Paul Motter January 7th, 2011 04:00 PM

Feds Raid Jam Fest Cruise Embarkation - 15 Arrested

1-7-11
Feds Raid Jam Fest Cruise Embarkation - 15 Arrested
The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that a popular music cruise, Jam Fest, was raided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents before the MSC Poesia set sail. The agency was looking for illegal drugs and contraband while it was docked at Port Everglades.

The paper reports there were 15 seizures of Marijuana; LSD; mushrooms, hash oil; Ecstasy; prescription drugs and drug paraphernalia in mostly small quantities, according to a CBP spokeswoman' Migdalia Travis.
The names of those arrested were not released. MSC Cruises said it would have to confirm the report before making a comment.

Agents and K-9 officers from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement; the U.S.Marshals Service; U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and the Broward Sheriff's Office participated in the raid, according to the CBP spokesperson.

This was the 9th Jam Cruise with the name Jam Fest. The cruise was promoted (fittingly?) by "Cloud 9 Adventures" and they call their loyalty program the "Repeat Offenders."

Trip January 7th, 2011 04:08 PM

Bummer man.... This Cheech and Chong cruise got off to a bad start!Seriously, people just don't get it..a cruise, or jail time.,,hmmmm:confused:

Paul Motter January 7th, 2011 04:08 PM

I don't know - but this kind of ticks me off. Are they allowed to do this without a warrant, etc? Just because it is a concert cruise does that give then the right to go searching.

I understand illegal prescription drugs being bad. But I think a lot of people don't always carry them in their prescription bottles even if they are valid, just because that is too bulky and you risk losing the bottle, etc.

If people have illegal drugs I guess they are fair game, but I don't like the idea that future music cruises will be raided in due course just because they are music cruises.

Trip January 7th, 2011 04:59 PM

Don't you think they walked in with papers in hand? Probaly a source inside dropped a dime...Someone had to have an idea what was going to be stashed by crew or brought onboard.:confused:

Rev22:17 January 7th, 2011 05:14 PM

Paul,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1340634)
I don't know - but this kind of ticks me off. Are they allowed to do this without a warrant, etc? Just because it is a concert cruise does that give then the right to go searching.

I understand illegal prescription drugs being bad. But I think a lot of people don't always carry them in their prescription bottles even if they are valid, just because that is too bulky and you risk losing the bottle, etc.

If people have illegal drugs I guess they are fair game, but I don't like the idea that future music cruises will be raided in due course just because they are music cruises.

The "drug sniffing" dogs have very well honed noses that can detect a miniscule quantity of an illegal substance. The agents cannot search somebody without probable cause, but they have probable cause as soon as the dogs indicate that somebody is carrying drugs or that there are drugs in a checked bag.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the prescription drugs probably were in the posession or the luggage of the passengers whom the authorities busted for illegal drugs. Once the authorities make an arrest, they do a complete inventory of the person's legal posessions as a matter of normal course to maintain accountability and to ensure their return upon the individual's release from custody. If they found additional contraband (prescription drugs for which the individual does not have a proper prescription), that contraband could result in additional charges.

Norm.

venice January 7th, 2011 05:29 PM

WalMart pharmacy is nice enough to place 9 days worth of my prescription medicine in smaller original containers along with the prescription medical description when I refill them just before I leave for a cruise ..it fits perfectly in my case logic toiletry bag..never had a problem

I suspect there is more to this story then what is being reported..I have some friends on this cruise so I will chat with them upon their return

we Smooth Jazz folks only need our music as our stimulantsroflrofl

HawkeyeFLA January 7th, 2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1340655)
Paul,

The "drug sniffing" dogs have very well honed noses that can detect a miniscule quantity of an illegal substance. The agents cannot search somebody without probable cause, but they have probable cause as soon as the dogs indicate that somebody is carrying drugs or that there are drugs in a checked bag.

Norm.

I question that well honed nose after reading this.

Tribune analysis: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops often wrong - Chicago Breaking News

Phil&Liz January 7th, 2011 07:25 PM

So why can't TSA profile like these cruisers were?

venice January 7th, 2011 11:19 PM

I've never read the small print when I've purchased trip insurance..is this covered under a standard policy:confused:

the other person in the cabin that was not arrested, i wonder if they continued on with the cruise (i would)

commission1 January 8th, 2011 10:13 AM

What a waste of taxpayer money, people doing shrooms and smoking dope at a music festival, no tell me it aint so. good grief

Paul Motter January 8th, 2011 10:46 AM

That is true, isn't Phil. It is profiling.

Phil&Liz January 8th, 2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1340828)
That is true, isn't Phil. It is profiling.

Short of them revealing a tip or a confidential informant, it appears they were profiled for the "type" of crowd.

altacockerCruiser January 8th, 2011 07:42 PM

Doing the Persia on Jan23rd, which is one of their baseball theme cruises. I guess I will be able to get all the steriods I want.

LOL,
Paul

Aidan January 9th, 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1340655)
Paul,

The agents cannot search somebody without probable cause, but they have probable cause as soon as the dogs indicate that somebody is carrying drugs or that there are drugs in a checked bag.

This is true. And the beauty part is, if the police want to search your bag or car, the dog will always make a hit!

Hopefully, the powers will soon be expanded so the dogs can be taken door-to-door. This way the houses of undesirables can be searched on demand as well.

green_rd January 9th, 2011 02:22 PM

My suspicion is the profiling is based on information regarding past Jam cruises.

VTFun January 9th, 2011 04:26 PM

Sounds as though some people were planning to have a wild time aborad the ship!

Kuki January 9th, 2011 06:25 PM

It would seem innocent enough if some folks were smoking a little pot or hash, but not sure I'd want to be on a ship where people's actions were being affected by hallucinogens.

There's already too many drunks going overboard. All we need is a few that think they balance on a rail or fly.

venice January 10th, 2011 11:39 AM

I checked out their website..alot of really fun activities were scheduled but no workshops on medical marijuana:cool: