Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM
First Mate

Default 14 decapitated bodies found in Mexico resort city

14 decapitated bodies found in Mexico resort city - Yahoo! News

ACAPULCO, Mexico – Police found the bodies of 15 slain men, 14 of them headless, on a street outside a shopping center in the Pacific coast resort of Acapulco on Saturday.

The victims, all of whom appeared to be in their 20s, were discovered in an area not frequented by tourists.
intimidation attributed to drug gangs.

Acapulco isn't quite the tourist town it was a decade or two ago, but it seems the violence is getting closer to tourists. The article does not list country of origin and I'll assume they are Mexican until told otherwise. Not that it changes much in my opinion. Absolutely heinous!

I've zero desire to visit Mexico in it's current state.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Admiral

As much as I don't want to, I'm afraid I have to agree.

Todd
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree also. Didn't I read that some of the cruise lines were stopping port stops on the western side until things get better?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I honestly didn't care much for the Mexican mainland for awhile. The surge in violence through the past couple of years just enhances those feelings of.. I'll pass!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Two weeks from now I will be in Los Cabos enjoying fun in the sun with family and friends. We're doing an All Inclusive (forgive me) and I have no desire to change my plans.

The drug cartels send messages and these are some of the more gruesome ones. Then again, there are some nasty messages that have been sent in East L.A. and other areas. It doesn't mean I'm not going to stop in Los Angeles.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Admiral

This is my opinion only and it is based upon the experiences of my late twin brother who lived deep in Mexico for several years.

Back then, in the hinterlands, there were two forms of law enforcement, the Federales (or Federal Police) and the Rurales (or rural law enforcement). According to my brother they were light years apart and he cited this example which he witnessed.

He entered a village where a large fiesta was in progress. There was a guy who was a nasty drunk and the uniformed Federales arrested him. They were actually having to drag him to jail when at the other end of the unpaved dusty street (like in the movies) two guys without uniforms but who were armed to the teeth wtih the bandoliers across their chests like in the movies started sauntering down the main street. They were Rurales. They encountered the Federales and had a brief conversation with them. The Federales then quickly exited the scene leaving the drunk on the ground.

One of the Rurales leaned over and said something to the drunk. He immediately got up and walked between them, stumbling but unassisted, to the local calaboose.

When Spencer asked a bystander who they were, the bystander smiled and said, "They are the Rurales. You don't even think about messing with them for if you do, you'll regret it for eternity."

Maybe Mexico needs to bring back the Rurales.

Todd
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When I read this, I was trying to think If I knew anyone there right now.. Just saw on Facebook, a chat friend is heading there tomorrow on a Princess ship..I sent her the link.....I think the passengers should be made aware, so they can make the best choice for themselves..I know what mine would be! The Captain did tell them there was some political rally,with a crowd of about, 50,000, and they would anchor for an hr or so, before they sailed in.

Eddie and I were there just over a year ago on the way to South America, so it is not that big of a deal if we stay on the ship. I don't think many people on this ship have been following this kind of news. Thanks for the heads up. Even with the princess group excursion, it might be dangerous.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 8th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Mexico needs to bring back the spirit of Pancho Villa.
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:18 PM
First Mate

Our up coming cruise makes three port stops in Mexico at Huatulco, Acapulco and Manzanillo. We have not booked shore excursions and will probably not venture far from the port. Also, we stayed at an all-inclusive in Los Cabos 2 years ago and shortly after a person was shot dead when they answered a knock at their door. It happened at the same resort that we stayed at. Other than the port stops we have no desire to spend any great length of time there.

Old January 8th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Its very likely that one can find violence in ever city in this world except for possibly Transylvania and Lapland .
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Naturally there's some places that are more dangerous that others but here in my little corner of the world yesterday there were 3 shot dead in a house, another in the hospital riddled with lead-- a lady was found dead in her home--death under investigation--then today in Tuscon,Az.the shooting of a congresswoman and numerous others,with I believe 9 dead. I don't know anywhere that one can say it's safe. The pitiful thing is that it continually gets worse. What do we do--start carrying sawed of shotguns to protect our self, or .45's with quick draw holsters like the old west?
I never dreamed I'd think about wanting to lug another one around again, but I'm beginning to wish I had my ol' M-60 machine gun that I toted around in Vietnam-- that might discourage some of the thugs when they saw that!
We had approx. $40,000 dollars jewelry stolen right out of the house back in August by a drywall guy and the stupid thing was that I was here, around the house, in and out, mowing the yard, etc-- I should have been standing over his shoulder with my Beretta in my hand I guess. He's in jail but the jewelry was pawned all over so there's some happy folks out there wearing our jewelry they bought cheap at the pawn shops ( aka legal fences ) !
Bottom line is as I mentioned, it appears that there's not any truly safe places and it's continually getting worse. But. I'll continue to travel, cruise when I want and just try to use common sense and hope for the best.I foresee in our cruising future fewer cruises to the Caribbean and maybe some barge cruises in Europe, A couple of cruises to the Med. and Europe--when my wife finally decides she wants to throw in the towel and retire from the jewelry business !
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Admiral

We are thinking of building a fortress and stocking it with food and books .
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Violence can happen anywhere, agreed. As of recent tourists have not been the target of "ultra" violence (harken memories of A Clockwork Orange?) unless you consider the couple at Falcon Lake tourists. I wonder what the current stats are regarding kidnapping.

Quote:
What do we do--start carrying sawed of shotguns to protect our self, or .45's with quick draw holsters like the old west?
CCW is on the rise.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
"They are the Rurales. You don't even think about messing with them for if you do, you'll regret it for eternity."
They might have decapitated him. It seems to me the current drug mafiosos are the Rurales.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
We had approx. $40,000 dollars jewelry stolen right out of the house back in August by a drywall guy and the stupid thing was that I was here, around the house, in and out, mowing the yard, etc-- I should have been standing over his shoulder with my Beretta in my hand I guess. He's in jail but the jewelry was pawned
Good thing he didn't get into the safe.
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Yeah--had I given him the keys to the vault he would have gotten well over a million !! That would have really been bad !!
To most people when you mention $35-40,000 dollars in jewelry, they envision a huge pirates chest. I can carry $40,000 dollars in jewelry in the palm of my hand !
I wasn't bragging about my wife's jewelry-- I was merely making the point that even in ones own home there is a certain element of danger from various sources. He didn't get it all, truth be known,. But, since she has been in the business for over 35 years, she can and did buy jewelry at cost, which is considerably less that you or the guy up or down the street could get it for. She still has plenty--the theft put a dent in it but didn't wipe her out--she can still cover herself in it if she so desires, and we did have insurance. It won't financially ruin us.
I appreciate your concern!
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Yeah--had I given him the keys to the vault he would have gotten well over a million !! That would have really been bad !!
To most people when you mention $35-40,000 dollars in jewelry, they envision a huge pirates chest. I can carry $40,000 dollars in jewelry in the palm of my hand !
I researched precious gems a few years ago as a potential investment. I never envisioned a pirate chest. Wish I went with gold. Instead went with sub-prime real estate. Geeze I took a bath.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

The main reason I brought up the theft, and I did mention it sometime back, was to hopefully get people's attention to make sure that if and when you have a service type person , electrician, plumber, drywall, appliance repairman or what ever, don't be caught napping when it comes to having a stranger in your home. Sadly, crime is on the rise almost everywhere and you need to be aware that it only takes a couple minutes for someone to steal something from you.
Hopefully if I got just one persons attention and made that one person more aware, it was worth the effort to type this.
Of course, we could do away with crime overnight-- just make everything legal and --bingo-- legally, a crime free society !! Morally, not so --but what the heck--morality and legality do not mix !
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Admiral

DH doesn't want any part of Mexico - even some of the resorts are not safe (wasn't there an explosion at one just a few weeks ago?).

When we were in Cozumel on DREAM, the Federales, did a training excercies, where they took command of our ship. THere were helicopters and people dropping from the sky and climbing up from the seas. It was interesting and scary at the same time. Thankfully, John Heald was on the speaker telling us all not to be alarmed.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Once again, my old friend Joseph's advice rings true:

"You are not safe anywhere, so you might as well go everywhere".

Sad as it is today, wasn't the Safe-Way store in Arizona safe before Saturday?

No point in taking silly chances, but sometimes life itself is a silly chance.
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgique View Post
Once again, my old friend Joseph's advice rings true:

"You are not safe anywhere, so you might as well go everywhere".

Sad as it is today, wasn't the Safe-Way store in Arizona safe before Saturday?

No point in taking silly chances, but sometimes life itself is a silly chance.
Excellent point.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM
First Mate

You definitely should not stay home.

Quote:
Rocket, not lightning, killed Chinese man

Posted on: Tuesday, 16 December 2008, 22:38 CST

A Chinese man believed to have been killed by lightning was actually done in by a small weather rocket found when it detonated during cremation, police say.

Authorities said people who were in the Inner Mongolia province house with Wang Diange -- who was overseeing a wake at the time of his death -- discovered his body amidst rubble after a large explosion that destroyed half of the home's roof, The Daily Telegraph reported Tuesday.

The residents concluded that the home had been struck by lightning from a thunderstorm and police concurred with the assessment, releasing Wang's body for a funeral and cremation, the British newspaper said.

However, a few days after Wang's death, a weather rocket lodged in his body exploded while the corpse was being loaded into the cremation chamber, destroying the body and the doors of the cremation oven.

Authorities said a small piece of metal found in the oven after the blast led investigators to a local weather bureau, which had been firing rockets into the atmosphere in an attempt to protect tobacco crops from large hailstones.

Weather bureau internal investigators said one of the shells must have failed to detonate, crashed into the home where the wake was taking place and lodged in Wang's body, where authorities said it was concealed by the extensive injuries.

The weather bureau said it is paying Wang's family about $12,000 in damages.