Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
no one can deny that most of these destructive policies, including race and class warfare, have come from the left.
ROFL... you just did it again.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Guns have a long tradition in the US. This country was forged out of the wilderness by frontiersman, farmers and minutemen with guns. Sometimes people who live in large urban areas in the northeast or on the west coast forget there is a large expanse of the US in between where not all, in fact not that many at all, live in those large urban areas where modern police are minutes away with a 911 call. Many of us in middle America live in rural areas where it can take 30+ minutes for a lone sheriff to arrive. We need to be able to protect ourselves. In addition, things like shooting, hunting and fishing are traditions in small town and rural USA, passed down from generation to generation. We don't give up our traditions very easily here in the middle of the USA. I know many people who live in cities don't understand those of us in rural/middle America and why we defend our gun rights with so much ferver, it is because guns are things we grew up with, they are part of our life here, guns have been part of our traditions and history for generations, and most importantly, it is how we defend ourselves here. That is why we defend the 2nd Amendment and our rights.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Default I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
Guns have a long tradition in the US. This country was forged out of the wilderness by frontiersman, farmers and minutemen with guns. Sometimes people who live in large urban areas in the northeast or on the west coast forget there is a large expanse of the US in between where not all, in fact not that many at all, live in those large urban areas where modern police are minutes away with a 911 call. Many of us in middle America live in rural areas where it can take 30+ minutes for a lone sheriff to arrive. We need to be able to protect ourselves. In addition, things like shooting, hunting and fishing are traditions in small town and rural USA, passed down from generation to generation. We don't give up our traditions very easily here in the middle of the USA. I know many people who live in cities don't understand those of us in rural/middle America and why we defend our gun rights with so much ferver, it is because guns are things we grew up with, they are part of our life here, guns have been part of our traditions and history for generations, and most importantly, it is how we defend ourselves here. That is why we defend the 2nd Amendment and our rights.
I live in a town with a population of 25,000. We do not have a police force here .The nearest police station is 45 minutes away .We do not have violent crime .
Just because traditions have been handed down over generation mean that they have to continue . In the south blacks were hung regularly ,that was a tradition over generations ,that is no longer the case .
What gives man the right to kill an animal for sport ? If a person is attacked by a bear the bear is killed but if a person kills a bear for sport then a bear should have the right to kill the man ,by the reasoning of people who hunt .
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Henry,

You live in a town on Long Island and have "no" violent crime? I want to know where this Utopia is.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I live in a town with a population of 25,000. We do not have a police force here .The nearest police station is 45 minutes away .We do not have violent crime .
A NYC suburb is not rural/middle America. You make my point, you do not understand our way of life here.

Quote:
Just because traditions have been handed down over generation mean that they have to continue . In the south blacks were hung regularly ,that was a tradition over generations ,that is no longer the case .
Really!? You are going to try and compare a parent or grandparent passing down to the next generation and lynching? Please!

Quote:
What gives man the right to kill an animal for sport ? If a person is attacked by a bear the bear is killed but if a person kills a bear for sport then a bear should have the right to kill the man ,by the reasoning of people who hunt .
Hunting is not done just for sport, it is done for food and to preserve populations of certain species. By the way, where do you think all that meat in the supermarket comes from?

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Default Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Henry,

You live in a town on Long Island and have "no" violent crime? I want to know where this Utopia is.

Take care,
Mike
In the 8 years that I've lived here there have been zero murders ,zero reported rapes . The only crimes are shoplifting ,DWI ,DUI ,stolen cars and teen on teen muggings .
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Default Your way of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
A NYC suburb is not rural/middle America. You make my point, you do not understand our way of life here.

Really!? You are going to try and compare a parent or grandparent passing down to the next generation and lynching? Please!

Hunting is not done just for sport, it is done for food and to preserve populations of certain species. By the way, where do you think all that meat in the supermarket comes from?

I have friends and relatives living in Kansas ,Minnesota ,Illinois ,Wisconsin and other states in rural areas .None of them hunt .
I am referring to people who shoot birds and animal for sport .Again just because something was done generations ago does not mean its right to continue in this century .
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43
I have friends and relatives living in Kansas ,Minnesota ,Illinois ,Wisconsin and other states in rural areas .None of them hunt
There are 890,000 Minnesotans and 930,000 Wisconsinites that do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
In the 8 years that I've lived here there have been zero murders ,zero reported rapes . The only crimes are shoplifting ,DWI ,DUI ,stolen cars and teen on teen muggings .
Wow, you have different statistics than Uniform Crime Reports for both Suffolk and Nassau Counties, New York. Plent of murders since you have lived there.

Oh, of course, you grew up in the 60s and still on a high. I still remember in the 60s that one of my cousins was mugged and murdered in Central Park.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Wow, you have different statistics than Uniform Crime Reports for both Suffolk and Nassau Counties, New York. Plent of murders since you have lived there.

Oh, of course, you grew up in the 60s and still on a high. I still remember in the 60s that one of my cousins was mugged and murdered in Central Park.
I grew up in the 40's and 50's .NYC has too much crime .I had a friend murdered in the 50's and a girl friend raped in the 60's .

I live in a small town in Long Island .The towns east of me have high crime rates . My town does not have a police force .It does not need one . There are occasional muggings or fights but 99% of the time between teenagers .
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Default Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
There are 890,000 Minnesotans and 930,000 Wisconsinites that do.

Take care,
Mike

I'm sure there are but my friends in Minnesota do not hunt or fish and neither do my friends in Wisconsin .I have never fished in my life .To me and this is of course my personal opinion ,fishing or hunting for sport is barbaric . All life is sacred .I don't believe any person has the right to kill a person or an animal for sport .
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Admiral

I think we can agree to disagree and we each have strong beliefs based upon our personal experiences (both positive and negative)

I grew up in rural upstate new york, my Dad taught me how to fish and hunt , i've lived in middle American (including north dakota and montana and eastern washington state), the military taught me a very healthy respect for firearms but what i can't figure out to this day is.....why would anyone bring a gun (both conceal and in the open) to a political rally and claim they are exercising their constitutional rights to bear arms ...and in light of the proliferation of hate groups and incendiary rhetoric of our politicians and media pundits these days..it seems to me that is setting the climate that at least to me is scary to say the least
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Henry, I do not hunt, fish or, for that matter, smoke, but I have no right to decide for others how they should live their lives.

A man with a gun may commit a crime. A drunk in an an automobile may commit a crime. Should we ban all firearms and automobiles? It is the person, not the object that is the culprit.

Here in Texas, gun ownership is a right, and many choose to own weapons for protection, as well as for sport. Just this past week here in San Antonio, a woman shot an intruder in her home and a man shot a pit bull that was attacting a woman on the street. In both these cases, innocent lives may have been saved.

No law that we make can prevent crime. Quick and severe punishment could possible deter some future act of violence. The great majority will always respect the rights of others. For the few that do not, we must have police and prisons.

Live and let live and you will live longer!
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Henry, I do not hunt, fish or, for that matter, smoke, but I have no right to decide for others how they should live their lives.

A man with a gun may commit a crime. A drunk in an an automobile may commit a crime. Should we ban all firearms and automobiles? It is the person, not the object that is the culprit.

Here in Texas, gun ownership is a right, and many choose to own weapons for protection, as well as for sport. Just this past week here in San Antonio, a woman shot an intruder in her home and a man shot a pit bull that was attacting a woman on the street. In both these cases, innocent lives may have been saved.

No law that we make can prevent crime. Quick and severe punishment could possible deter some future act of violence. The great majority will always respect the rights of others. For the few that do not, we must have police and prisons.

Live and let live and you will live longer!
I am merely giving my opinion .I have life long friends who are hunters . I belong to a fraternal organization that runs annual fishing trips .They know my opinions and do not ask me to join them .
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
.I have never fished in my life .To me and this is of course my personal opinion ,fishing or hunting for sport is barbaric . All life is sacred .
I'll respect your right to be a vegetarian, but I will continue to eat meat.

Quote:
I am referring to people who shoot birds and animal for sport
Wonton Waste is illegal in most if not all states. You might want to do some fact checking before you paint a large section of our population with such a broad brush.
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Here in Texas, gun ownership is a right
Texas is no longer a Republic. All 50 states have that right even though some counties and a handful of states severely restrict that right.
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Default Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I'll respect your right to be a vegetarian, but I will continue to eat meat.

Wonton Waste is illegal in most if not all states. You might want to do some fact checking before you paint a large section of our population with such a broad brush.

I am not a vegetarian but I am a member of Friends Of Animals .