Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Tucson shooting - A Nut Job or Incited to Violence

The horrific and unnecessary shootings in Tucson....

Was it a case of a "nut job" run amok, or was it a "nut job" incited (purposely or accidental consequence) by the push of politcal adversaries and their representatives to anger the nation to direct their blame to "SOMEONE" for all the things wrong in their lives?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/

Last edited by Kuki; January 10th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

I would suggest a path of patience and not get caught up in the media hype that we have been shell shock with with all of the political posturing..i remind everyone of the Oklahoma City situation where the media pundits immediately associated it with foreign terrorist and everyone was pointing fingers and getting the public work up into a frenzy..when the real story came out i don't remember any apologies from the media or political pundits

our politicians (from both sides of the aisle) have an agenda on this situation..let's hope law enforcement will be allowed to do their investigation without being hampered by the political climate
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
let's hope law enforcement will be allowed to do their investigation without being hampered by the political climate
Venice,

I guess my question is if people think the "political climate" instigated this situation. Has the "political climate" gone beyond, and created a possibly dangerous "social climate"?

We do have to realize that aside from recruiting terrorists, Bin Laden motivates and instigates crazies to take their own crazed actions, without ever giving specific commands to action.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
I would suggest a path of patience and not get caught up in the media hype that we have been shell shock with with all of the political posturing..i remind everyone of the Oklahoma City situation where the media pundits immediately associated it with foreign terrorist and everyone was pointing fingers and getting the public work up into a frenzy..when the real story came out i don't remember any apologies from the media or political pundits

our politicians (from both sides of the aisle) have an agenda on this situation..let's hope law enforcement will be allowed to do their investigation without being hampered by the political climate
I would also mention, that the media reported the representative's death, then later in critical condition. Imagine the family's horror of hearing this. I just wish the media was a little more precise in getting the CORRECT facts! Never can be sure what to believe!
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Admiral

I sure don't know if this was a "nut job" run amok, or was it a "nut job" incited but when I first heard about it yesterday I did have one thought. It was " was this motivated by Sarah Palin's post." In that post she put crosshairs on a map and Az was one state targeted and unfortunately the target of the shooting was listed by name among many others.

This country does not need any person of Sarah Palin's stature making a post like she did. Unfortunately there are people in the country that would read this and decided that they will take care of anyone listed as being having to go.

My prayers are with those that were killed and injured and with their families.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
I sure don't know if this was a "nut job" run amok, or was it a "nut job" incited but when I first heard about it yesterday I did have one thought. It was " was this motivated by Sarah Palin's post." In that post she put crosshairs on a map and Az was one state targeted and unfortunately the target of the shooting was listed by name among many others.

This country does not need any person of Sarah Palin's stature making a post like she did. Unfortunately there are people in the country that would read this and decided that they will take care of anyone listed as being having to go.

My prayers are with those that were killed and injured and with their families.
Funny enough Nancy, those were exactly our thoughts on this side of the pond.

We knew SP had named Ms Giffords as a politician she wanted removed from office in Nov 10 - my nephew remarked this p.m. surely no-one took her literally! Hopefully, SP will phrase her comments more carefully in the future.

Our thoughts are with all those affected by the tragedy.

Annie
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Admiral

To answer the question - this was a nut gone amok.

Crosshairs and targets are commonly used as a visual aid to focus attention on something. For example, today's Huntsville Times has a full-page to hype tomorrow's Auburn/Oregon football game - and it is titled "Duck Shoot" with a photo of a shooting gallery full of ducks with 'O' on them. Could this entice a nut to want to take some shots at the Oregon football team?

Where do you draw the line on what is allowed in public discourse, lest you push a psycho over the edge?

Sarah Palin is also renowned for her hunting skills, hence the use of crosshairs on Arizona for the elections had a double-meaning.

Those who are running around breathlessly assigning blame to this or that person or organization are being reckless. Sadly, I think there are some out there who'd like to see someone open fire at a tea party rally now, just to even the score. It all goes to the general decline of morals in today's society.
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Dave - I hope sincerely you are correct!

Only the shooter can answer the question.

Annie
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post

Sarah Palin is also renowned for her hunting skills,
Here is the Palin ad:
http://www.stephentaylor.ca/images/sarah-targets.jpg

Rep. Giffords is listed on the left, fourth from the top.

Palin highlights her bear hunting skills by placing a gun scope cross hair over the areas where her political opponents live.
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Dave, I am not saying that SP's post did trigger this shooter but am hoping that it did not but you know there are people who would take that kind of thing litteraly (sp). To me that kind of post is the sign of a "nut" no matter who makes it. And Arizona is not the only state with the crosshairs on it.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Interesting I didn't know about the Sarah Palin post until I read it here. But I have to say there is a tendency to not take personal responsibility for your actions. Jared Lee Loughner is a nut job that killed innocent people. We have no way of knowing what set him off. Even if Sarah Palin had not made that post he might still have taken this action.

But I also think Sarah Palin and others (no matter what political party) should use more care with their comments. Promoting murder is what you are doing when you put targets over people's names or faces. Is that the type of person you what to be? Is that the type of person you want in a position of political power? It is true I would not vote for Sarah Palin, but it had more to do with her lack of experience and intelligence then it does her political party.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Admiral

The man who committed these atrocious crimes yesterday is entirely responsible for the actions he took.

I don't approve of the use of a target by either Sarah Palin or a left wing community on line writer- Marko Moulitsas in regards to Congresswoman Giffords. Neither one of them nor anyone else is responsible for this man's actions.

We have had killings like this off and on in my life time and before. As for the cases I can remember, the person who did the killing was not functioning as a normal human being.

We are living in a time when simply holding an opposing opinion can be labeled hate speech. We need to tread carefully.

Phyll
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We are living in a time when simply holding an opposing opinion can be labeled hate speech. We need to tread carefully.
Phyll.. see there lies the problem. People have forgot how to express their opposition.

I agree, there has alway been, and will always dysfunctional people around. But, there is an art to debating opposing viewpoints, without the vitriol. Seems way too many people take shortcuts, and head directly to finding the most sensational imagery and name calling to illicit the biggest reaction they can get.

"Real" journalism has put on a new face because they feel they are competing with the free to say anything they can think of bloggers, and internet writers. They are dreaming up ways to make bigger splashes, and that unfortunately means beating drums that get people worked up, or afraid.

Nothing happens in a vacum.
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

There is way too much violence in this country.
The last thing we need are politicians to entice even more.
And that is what they are doing when they preach intolerance.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
There is way too much violence in this country.
The last thing we need are politicians to entice even more.
And that is what they are doing when they preach intolerance.

TM

I agree with this statement completly. And even if the SP post did not incite this guy it just may someone else. and that is something this country does not need.

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Admiral

I'm not going to engage in a back and forth with 'evidence' of which politician used what. Palin used crosshairs. Democrats have used targets - as recently as this past spring and also in 2004 - on maps that look just like the Palin map linked in another post. The difference being they were 'targeting' Republicans. I can provide links if you wish them. Obama said if 'they' bring a knife to the fight, "we'll' bring a gun. It's all metaphors.

People have been murdered because someone said 'hello' the wrong way to the murderer. We need to get over launching a search for who 'we think' are the guilty every time something bad happens. I do find it curious that Sarah Palin lives rent-free in so many people's minds, such that they immediately hope to indict her at the least provocation.

I don't often agree with him, but David Gergen today published a blog at CNN which calls for everyone to stop pointing fingers at Palin, tea party, whatever. The alleged murderer was just arraigned today and isn't really talking to police, yet so many people are willing to assign blame when none of us, I repeat, none of us, knows the facts.
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Dave, I completely agree that no one other than the shooter knows why he did it.

I have not seen the items of the " Democrats have used targets - as recently as this past spring and also in 2004 - on maps that look just like the Palin map linked in another post. The difference being they were 'targeting' Republicans." But I don't think that that is appropriate either, no matter who does it.

And if it had been any other politician I would make the same statements, I don't care who even if it had been the President.

Old January 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Nobody has mentioned that among his possessions was a copy of Mein Kampf .It could be that he was targeting a jewish congressperson .
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Admiral

"Hindsight has a way of corrupting people's memories, inviting them to view a past event not as it actually occurred, but as they wished it had occurred, given the ultimate results" ..The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
if it had been any other politician I would make the same statements, I don't care who even if it had been the President.
I should have been more precise. I am not referring to anyone here, but rather those posting truly hateful comments in other forums, media websites, blogs.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I just finished reading an article on yahoo about this guy and after reading it it looks like he had wanted to get the Congresswoman for awhile and he finally found his chance.

He definitely has problems.

Old January 9th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Nobody has mentioned that among his possessions was a copy of Mein Kampf .It could be that he was targeting a jewish congressperson .

I find it interesting that NO national news station (as far as I know) has even posted that possibility. When you "look" at his posts, I wonder... .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Default National news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I find it interesting that NO national news station (as far as I know) has even posted that possibility. When you "look" at his posts, I wonder... .
The national news networks exhibit a bias at times .
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Admiral

And the political opportunists are already jumping on it...

...Pennsylvania Congressman Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he plans to introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.... (my bold type)

Not that his bill stands a snow ball's chance of passing, but the words "could be" are chilling. This is the kind of thing you unleash when you allow a single tragedy to take control of your emotions.

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
This is the kind of thing you unleash when you allow a single tragedy to take control of your emotions.
You mean like invading Iraq

It's really not a matter of WHO to blame... but I do think there's something to be said for WHAT to blame. There's no sides innocent. But honestly IMHO if no one can see how "ramped up and amped up" the country has got since you elected your President, then they are wearing blinders.

I may not be smart enough to tell you why, but I think one should hope this "single tragedy" serves as an alert to a nation, not as another excuse to hurl more BS, and more fringe lunatics to take more distorted actions.
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
And the political opportunists are already jumping on it...

...Pennsylvania Congressman Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he plans to introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.... (my bold type)

Not that his bill stands a snow ball's chance of passing, but the words "could be" are chilling. This is the kind of thing you unleash when you allow a single tragedy to take control of your emotions.

There goes free speech out the window. This bill is a waste of time and money it will never pass. At least I hope it never passes.While I wish that people chose their words and pictures carefully. I don't want the US government to determine what those words should be.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Admiral

Following the Columbine disaster, everyone started blaming people being allowed to have guns, right wing fanatics, etc., ad nauseam, calling it the worst such disaster in this country's history.

Not even close. The worst such disaster occurred in Bath Indiana in the thirties when a disgruntled taxpayer wired an entire school with explosives and detonated them killing 38 grade school students before driving up to the school superintendent's resident and blowing up his car killing both himself and the superintendent. He began the day by murdering his wife. Betcha' that today only one out of every 50,000 Americans have even heard of that tragedy.

Authorities later found an additional 200 pounds of explosives in the wreckage that failed to detonate. Had that occurred, probably literally hundreds would have died. Turned out he had spent months setting the thing up.

His reasoning? The raising of his taxes. Yet no one to my knowledge, blamed politics, political rhetoric, etc. Do you think folks exercised more common sense back then by attributing the horrific act to what it was....a nut job as opposed to attributing the horrific act to any type of political rhetoric or symbolism?

Todd

Last edited by ToddDH; January 10th, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Admiral

Todd..I think I saw that event on TCM when they had a marathon about the monthly newsreals that use to be shown in the theatres before the main movie in the 30's and 40's

Kuki..your:neutral: dual citizen status :neutral: provides a unique perspective and I hope that our CM's who live outside of the US (Europe etc) post to keep us abreast on how the rest of the world sees our current situation to provide additional perspective

we live in an incendiary time, that is fueled by many factors..this is not unusual in the history of our Country (in many ways resembles the 30's-40's when POTUS Roosevelt was battling the depression (high unemployment), 2 front global warfare (and terrorism inside of our Country), introduction of the New Deal Programs,immigration issues, racial discord, supressions of civil rights, etc. one of the obvious differences today is the 24/7 monster role of a very bias media/communications ...our Country use to be able to turn on Walter Cronkite every night and receive both good/bad news with few exceptions in a calm/non judgemental fashion..we could sure use that today
with this specific event, we should focus on the victims and their families and provide healing and prayers for them and let our justice system deal with the one who caused it...I share Dave's perspective
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Captain

Kuki, if this congress can't turn around the financial disaster that the last 3 years have brought about then I believe we will see more and more politicians being held accountable by the people of this nation.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
we live in an incendiary time, that is fueled by many factors..this is not unusual in the history of our Country (in many ways resembles the 30's-40's when POTUS Roosevelt was battling the depression (high unemployment), 2 front global warfare (and terrorism inside of our Country), introduction of the New Deal Programs,immigration issues, racial discord, supressions of civil rights, etc. one of the obvious differences today is the 24/7 monster role of a very bias media/communications ...our Country use to be able to turn on Walter Cronkite every night and receive both good/bad news with few exceptions in a calm/non judgemental fashion..we could sure use that today
with this specific event, we should focus on the victims and their families and provide healing and prayers for them and let our justice system deal with the one who caused it
No question punishing the guilty party should be left to the justice system. I do find it odd that in the media this guy is still referred to as the suspect. For that they chose their words carefully, yet all their other words are often not thought out at all.

As a non US citizen, it's been very interesting watching this incident and ramifications unfold in my midst, and seeing it through the eyes of the local, not just national press.

Sadly, I do see both the right and left blaming each other for the results. That just means neither side is going to "get it". The methology of expressing their discourse (on all sides) has to change or the fringe elements on both sides will continue to do unthinkable acts.