CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Lounge musicians (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/379415-lounge-musicians.html)

Lakers Fan January 12th, 2011 11:41 AM

Lounge musicians

When I was on the HAL Zuiderdam last month I had the opportunity to listen to all the lounge acts .One was an 8 piece band with a singer who was terrific .To me ,each member of the band was very good ,too good to be on a cruise ship's lounge . I got a chance to speak to the drummer .He said that both he and the band's leader have been with a lot of groups over the years . This band was put together in the hope of eventually being discovered .I'm wondering if this ever happens .Are there really good talent on cruise ships ?

I happen to know a singer who has had a 35 year career playing in concerts all over the world ,released a few CD's(LP's) and now in her mid 60's is doing cruise ships as is her husband ,a comedian in his 70's .
That to me is understandable ,however ,I wonder if younger people ever catch that break or just spend their lives in cruise lounges ?

Queen of Oakville January 12th, 2011 12:56 PM

I used to laugh when Simon Cowell would say that someone sounded like a cruiseship singer.

I've heard some great talent on cruiseships (and some bad talent too).

I think one of the American Idol finalists one year was on one of the Royal ships. She made it to top 5, and then ended up pusuing a career in acting.

MercedMike January 12th, 2011 01:16 PM

The new Vaudeville

On one cruise, one of the entertainers said that cruise ships are the New Vaudeville. They are giving a lot of young people the chance to follow their dream and try to catch that big break.

How many catch the big break? Not many. How many High School football stars make the NFL? Not many. How many valedictorians win a Nobel Prize? Not many.

But to be young and follow your dream is a wonderful thing.

To be middle aged and know your dream is not going to happen, and to accept it, and be satisfied with a reasonable career and happy with your lot in life is a wonderful thing.

To be middle aged and know your dream is not going to happen and live a bitter and disappointed person is sad.

Lakers Fan January 12th, 2011 04:39 PM

There are more venues for entertainers than for college athletes .

Donna January 12th, 2011 06:37 PM

I would certainly hope that some entertainers would be discovered working on a cruiseship, for sure...A few times, I've seen an act on TV and mention that they'd be super on a cruiseship, so it does go both ways...

ToddDH January 12th, 2011 08:56 PM

I am not a musician although I'm steeped in music....all kinds from light classical and light opera to big band, Broadway, Country, Gospel, you name it. I have a piano and I used to play by ear as while my older brother received years of instruction, there wasn't money for me to take lessons when I came along. Mother used to holler, "Would you stop that pounding, you sound just like Dell Wood!

Anyway, one of the most talented "house bands" I ever heard was on the Explorer of the Seas.

Now if you like old fashioned Rock 'n Roll with a pounding base, an outrageous piano, one of the best Sax players I've heard in decades, do yourself a favor and go to You Tube and type in The Refreshments. There are two such bands, one from Arizona. Forget them. Go to the other and play "One Dance, One Rose, One Kiss first and then they have a ton more. They have a southern flavor but they're not even American. They're from Sweden and on some of the videos, one of Europe's best Rock 'n Roll guitarists, Albert Lee sits in with them and you'll never believe a 63 year old can still play as he does. Also, the keyboardist, Johan Blohm, is considered the best Boogie and Rock'nroll piano player in Europe. He's a huge fellow and he's famous for while his hands are going ninety miles an hour, from the elbows up he never seems to move and has his head cocked to one side with this wry smile on his face. If you like loud pounding well played foot stompin' music, turn your sound up sit back and enjoy.

Todd

Cruznut2 January 13th, 2011 07:34 AM

If you have a chance to see Christopher Alan Graves on a Carnival Ship do not miss him. He is the most talented entertainer I have seen in many years. I have seen this show twice and it never gets boring. I was on Carnival Liberty in Sept 2010 the last time I saw him.

Laura

beenie weenie January 13th, 2011 10:07 AM

Funny you should mention this. There are so many talented people on this earth. Often the amount the amount of talent they possess is not commensurate with the amount of success and fame they achieve.

Last night a lady had asked me about a Sax player who played with my Mom's band years ago. I knew immediately who she was talking about. The guy was legendary. He played like he was making love to his saxophone and all the women would just throw themselves at him (sometimes they threw their clothes, hotel keys, phone numbers lol)... He was the very best sax player I ever heard in my life, even better than Boots Randolph. But he died a relatively young man in his late 50's or early 60's, his body ravaged by alcohol, cigarettes and probably women lol. It was tragic really to be that talented and self destructive.

One of our great trumpet players was fantastic, he too died young. He has just finished a contract on a Holland America ship. He disembarked in France and died of a heart attack before he ever left the country.

We had a drummer who drove his car off a bridge late one night, this story could go on and on. We had a singer who could have blown George Benson right off the stage but he was a hot mess. He wouldn't show up on time for jobs. He could not get his act together and though he had great talent he was doomed to fail. Then there's our bipolar trombone player who was great when he felt great, and a miserable son of a gun when felt bad, and brought everyone else down with him.

Such is life. Sometime attaining fame and fortune has more to do with being in the right place at the right time, rather than having the most talent.

Lakers Fan January 13th, 2011 08:25 PM

Speaking of sax players .A cousin of mine was a sax player in the late 60's for a rock band .He had no faith in the group and left to start his own band .The best gig he ever had was being in the house band in a lounge in a carribean hotel .The band he left became a mega supergroup and I believe they are in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame .

Rev22:17 January 13th, 2011 09:02 PM

Henry43,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1341929)
When I was on the HAL Zuiderdam last month I had the opportunity to listen to all the lounge acts .One was an 8 piece band with a singer who was terrific .To me ,each member of the band was very good ,too good to be on a cruise ship's lounge . I got a chance to speak to the drummer .He said that both he and the band's leader have been with a lot of groups over the years . This band was put together in the hope of eventually being discovered .I'm wondering if this ever happens .Are there really good talent on cruise ships ?

I have seen some really fabulous talent on cruise ships, including people who have had starring roles on Broadway.

I know that for the dancers in the cruise line's production shows, completion of the second contract with a cruise line has long been the ticket to a successful career on Broadway or in Las Vegas.

And why the second contract? Quite simply, the dancers on cruise ships have one of the most demanding regimens anywhere in the business because they typically must do four shows at once. The second contract proves that one is good enough to be invited back, and thus leaves no doubt of one's ability to meet the pressures and demands of the business.

I presume that the same is true of musicians and singers hired directly by a cruise line.

Norm.

venice January 14th, 2011 12:58 AM

i was on a full charter smooth jazz cruise last year on the Celebrity Century, when the regular ship's musicians were not onboard. the promoter reached out to the rest of the crew who played jazz and allowed a few to sit in with the world class jazz musicians on the nightly midnight jam sessions...one night, our cabin steward who played trumpet, was able to sit in with trumpet player Greg Adams (founding member of LTD during the 1970's)..in the very back of the room , there must have been over 100 of our cabin steward's fellow crew members who gave their co-worker a standing ovation..for the rest of the cruise the guests treated our cabin steward as a superstar...he was on his job the very next morning as if nothing had happen..i had taken some pictures of his performance, had them developed and ask our cabin steward for his autograph and then put the pictures on our cabin door along with a big star...he was so proud...the paid professional music staff are not the only great musicians onboard on any given cruise

Lakers Fan January 14th, 2011 08:47 AM

Similiar to that ,Venice .On my cruise last month they had one night in which the staff perfomed in their native languages .One guy who was a cabin steward did a solo and he had a great voice .

MercedMike January 14th, 2011 12:31 PM

Crew show

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1342415)
Similiar to that ,Venice .On my cruise last month they had one night in which the staff perfomed in their native languages .One guy who was a cabin steward did a solo and he had a great voice .

Well, wandering a bit off the original topic:

The crew shows on HAL are famous. The wait staff are all Indonesian, and the bar crew are all Philipino. So each cruise one or the other of them puts on a native show for the passengers. They are absolutely wonderful. There are almost always two or three extremely talented singers among the crew, and their fellows back them up with enthusiasm if with varying degrees of talent! The Indonesians typically do a small excerpt from the Monkey King play with fabulous costumes. Once our steward played the Monkey King and we teased him the rest of the cruise.

Lakers Fan January 14th, 2011 08:45 PM

Not necessarily so

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1342507)
Well, wandering a bit off the original topic:

The crew shows on HAL are famous. The wait staff are all Indonesian, and the bar crew are all Philipino. So each cruise one or the other of them puts on a native show for the passengers. They are absolutely wonderful. There are almost always two or three extremely talented singers among the crew, and their fellows back them up with enthusiasm if with varying degrees of talent! The Indonesians typically do a small excerpt from the Monkey King play with fabulous costumes. Once our steward played the Monkey King and we teased him the rest of the cruise.

We had a waiter from the Phillipines .There was a waiter who was born in Indonesia but has been living in the US since age 2 .