CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   A truly class act and a magnanimous gesture to say the least (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/379614-truly-class-act-magnanimous-gesture-say-least.html)

ToddDH January 18th, 2011 03:36 AM

A truly class act and a magnanimous gesture to say the least

I heard on the news last night that the Astronaut who is married to Represntative Gifford said he would truly like to meet the parents of the assassin who shot his wife and killed so many others.

He wants so tell them that not only does he in no way hold them responsible but that they're as much victims as those their son shot, including his wfe and that his heart goes out to them as well.

Being the wus that I am, I just sat there as the tears rolled.

What a magnificent man he must be!

God Bless him and all of the victims and their families.

I know a man whose wife was killed by a young kid who was racing and smashed into their car. He put his arms around the boy who was sobing and with his parents and told him he forgave him. He additionally went to the trouble to prevent the boy from receiving any jail time simply because he was by all accounts an excellent young man and he didn't want his future destroyed by the incident.

Todd

ruthlessboss January 18th, 2011 05:03 AM

I feel sorry for the family members of the shooter. Their world's have been turned upside down through no fault of their own.

skymaster January 18th, 2011 07:38 AM

I agree! How horrible would it be to have a son do something so senseless, and ruin so many lives? God bless the Admiral, and of course, his wife.

"SKY"

anniegb January 18th, 2011 08:59 AM

Todd, I would have cried as well!

I also cried at the story of Jordan Rice who sacrificed his life for the sake of his younger brother in the Australian floods.

How is Rep Gifford progressing?

Annie

LisaK January 18th, 2011 09:23 AM

this only goes to show that there are angels among us

Lakers Fan January 18th, 2011 02:05 PM

Interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1343590)
I heard on the news last night that the Astronaut who is married to Represntative Gifford said he would truly like to meet the parents of the assassin who shot his wife and killed so many others.

He wants so tell them that not only does he in no way hold them responsible but that they're as much victims as those their son shot, including his wfe and that his heart goes out to them as well.

Being the wus that I am, I just sat there as the tears rolled.

What a magnificent man he must be!

God Bless him and all of the victims and their families.

I know a man whose wife was killed by a young kid who was racing and smashed into their car. He put his arms around the boy who was sobing and with his parents and told him he forgave him. He additionally went to the trouble to prevent the boy from receiving any jail time simply because he was by all accounts an excellent young man and he didn't want his future destroyed by the incident.

Todd

That to me is a rarity in emotion

Luanne Russo January 18th, 2011 07:42 PM

As soon as I heard, I understood completely. I could have been full of hate for Joe's killer, and his family, or I could forgive. It was the easy way out, by forgiving. The pain of loss was bad enough, but the heart and brain, take so much more to hate.

If he is anything like me, he also wants answers, and that can only come from family, and the shooter. I am still waiting for that. I hope it happens to him faster.

Lakers Fan January 18th, 2011 08:43 PM

I have posted about this in the past . In 1955 a friend of mine age 10 was murdered by 3 pre-teens .Two of the 3 were killed by the police in 1962 .The third is still around . I happened to see him at a wedding about 15 years ago.I knew ahead of time that he was going to be there but I was not planning to confront him .He approached me ,however ,and we had a long ,civilized talk.

balabusta January 19th, 2011 10:47 PM

Todd, I agree with you when you say that Astronaut Kelly is a good person, who wants to meet with the parents of Jared Loughner. You can only blame parents to a point if their offspring turn out as Jared Loughner did. Children are molded not only by their environment, but also by the friends they hang around with. Then too, there are people that suffer from "chemical imbalances" that can lead to depression and a whole lot of different behaviorial problems. I have a good friend, who is quite religious and goes to synagogue every Saturday, yet, she has a son who is now in prison for the third time. (her other two children both graduated from college and are not into drugs). Then too, Bugsy Siegel was a mobster and his brother became a doctor!