Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:58 AM
Admiral

Default Friday, Calm Before the Storm

Morning Mates, from a peaceful, gray, but cold Pictou County where we await yet another nor'easter, or what they call a "Weather Bomb" here in the Maritimes.
Later today we are to get hit with 20-25 cms of snow, mixed with rain, wind and who knows what else. It will be a messy drive home tonight, that's for sure. Presently, it is -8C and dull.

Yesterday it snowed lightly all afternoon, and I took the kids out sledding at work, I even tried it. A little too bumpy for me.
Today, we will probably do the same, they love being outdoors, and so do I, all except for my frozen tootsies.

After work tonight I am going to my first Pilates class. It's taken me over a year to find a Pilates class here, and I sorely miss my old class in Montreal.
I have been teaching it to the kids at work, but I NEED someone to stand over me and make ME do the exercises!

Wishing you all a great Friday, and those of you in the path of the "weather bomb", please stay safe!

donna
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
I started to post on the daily thread about 3 different times yesterday and everytime I started I was interrupted by something or someone.

As I shared a while back due to some new revelations in d/h's family history, we may be looking at some genetic testing for d/h and the kids to determine if they might be carrying a cancer gene. We're waiting on test results from other family members which should be given Feb. 8th. We'll know more then. I wanted to thank those of you who offered prayers and support. I means a lot to me.

Yes the weather bomb hit here yesterday Donna. D/H stayed here and worked from home. Overnight the temps plummeted from 25 degrees Fahrenheit to -3. I guess the wind was whipping all night long but I slept so soundly I didn't hear a thing. So far I am loving that new mattress!

Made a big pot of soup yesterday, I think that ought to be just what I need for lunch on a day like today. Oh I am so ready for spring already! I want desperately to start planting my flowers and getting my stuff growing...

The good news is that i can see the sun just popped out over the horizon so it looks like the days are finally getting noticeably longer again. Yay!

Well I hope you all have a great morning! Take care, stay warm, be safe!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Good morning from a very frozen Chicago. Temps by me are -4 with a wind chill of -27, you have to love January!! Going out with the girls tonight for some food& drinks

BW... That has to be a scary test to take, I'm not sure if I would want to know. My dad died of cancer at 42 at the same time my mom was battling breast cancer. I have never entertained the thought of having the test. I know it’s gained popularity in the past few years. Best of luck.
Hope all is well& have a great day!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013

Last edited by Aerogirl; January 21st, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Another snowy day here..I think it's out 150th storm since the holidays!! Once again, I was cruising vicariously the GMA on the Disney Dream..I would so go on that water coaster!! Mike have a ball in Cabo!

Som Bruce stayed home,and If I get the kids,[school is cancelled here] I will be babysitting 3 kids today..oh my!

Gotta figure out how to get the diaper cake to the party too...oh well.....

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post

BW... That has to be a scary test to take, I'm not sure if I would want to know. My dad died of cancer at 42 at the same time my mom was battling breast cancer. I have never entertained the thought of having the test.
There is a certain degree of fear and dread involved. But there is also a degree of empowerment that comes from knowing, since it allows you to be more proactive in making treatment decisions. If by chance one of my kids are carrying the BRCA 1 or 2 genes, it is now possible to isolate those genes should they ever want to have children and ensure they do not pass that gene along to their children. Also they will be aware of their predisposition to certain cancers and will be given tests that would not be offered to the general population who would be at a lower risk to increase the chance of early detection and be offered prophylactic surgical options and perhaps in the future there might be gene therapy available to help "fix" the faulty gene.

If you have a strong family history of certain types of cancer in your family it may be worthwhile to test. Here are some basic guidelines I found online:
" A personal history of:
o Breast cancer at a young age (younger than age 50) or ovarian cancer at any age
o Bilateral breast cancer or two or more primary tumors of the breast
o Breast and ovarian cancer (in the same individual)
o Breast cancer in a male
AND/OR
A maternal or paternal family history of:
o Two or more individuals in the family (parent, child, sibling, grandparent, aunt/uncle)
with breast and/or ovarian cancer
o One or more close male relatives with breast cancer
o Early onset breast or ovarian cancer (before age 50) in a close relative
o Confirmed BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation
Note: Individuals who belong to ethnic groups with increased mutation prevalence, such as those
of Ashkenazi Jewish descent, may be appropriate candidates for referral even if they have a less
striking personal or family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer"

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Default Tgif

Good morning from NY where its sunny and 27 degrees .It snowed last night and we have 2" but as I speak the roads are being plowed.
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM
Admiral

this is just a baby storm, only about 4" of the light fluffy stuff, its slowing down already and sun may come out in the afternoon
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Good points BW.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning CruiseMates! Sunshine and temps in the 70s. I never get tired of typing that

After a couple of days of more bonding with Mrs. Kuki, I'm headed to the golf course shortly. The bonding must have paid off because she has offered to cook dinner tonight.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Cool,sunny and dry here in West of Scotland.

BW - thinking of you.

A sad day in my home town as the funeral was held for one of our more famous sons; I don't know how well known he was in USA.

YouTube - Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Annie
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.........well......it's raining yet again...........not as bad as it has been but......

Not much going on today........48 outside right now......

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
First Mate

It is a whopping 9 degrees F outside. Of course, Holly wanted out TWICE during the night. Brrrr!

Not much happening here. PT later today (hopefully, last one) and DH is working tonight. So, a quiet weekend ahead.

Good day to all.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Default Friday, Calm before the Storm

Good morning! Slightly cooler here in SoCal but pleasant, nonetheless.

Not much happenin', which is probably a good thing. It's gym day. I just started one of Amazon's free books on the Kindle . . .

Judy
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a sunny and cold Texas. I slept late this morning. My brother called and said, "Oh are you sleeping?" That was all I needed, because I was awake then. I can sleep anytime. I would rather talk to him, than sleep.

I have a pain in the neck this morning. Not someone bothering me, but a real pain in the neck. I have been doing a Yoga move called the half moon, and I think I over did it last night.

No weight loss this morning, because I ate KFC last night. I thought I had worked it off, but I guess I didn't do enough. I will have to give up some of my favorites next time we eat there.

This morning when I turned on the Wii, the icon had a party hat on, and wished me a Happy Birthday. It also told me how old I am. Fifty seven isn't that old is it?

Not much planned for today. Josh has to work, and Jim is still gone, but I will get some work done to make me feel like I have been productive.

I hope all of you a wonderful day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon everyone. It started off as a beautiful very warm sunny day here, but the mild cool front is getting closer, and the clouds have moved in.

I have to go to a funeral here in just a bit. My neighbor's husband passed away this week, only 2 weeks after they had arrived for the winter. He had recently been diagnosed with ALS, but they really expected to have more time. Just makes you think how precious every day is.

Beenie, if I didn't tell you before, I'm praying for you and your family. It's good to be armed with the info so you can take those steps if you need to. It's still got to be hard to go through.

Trip, I hope your winter weather will go away with the month of January. You sure have had enough already along with RD and many of the rest around here.

Take care everyone.
Phyll
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Beenie Weenie,

WOW - I never heard of a cancer gene or the testing.

As a mom of young kids, I think I would want to know. If nothing else, to make the most out of every moment.

My dad died at 52 - stomach cancer which invaded his lymphnodes.

I turn 42 this year .... time for testing. I did a endoscopy 5 years ago, and if memory serves my doc said we would start more frequent testing when I was within 10 years.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Luanne, Happy Birthday! and congrats for using your wii.

I bought one for DH two years ago for Father's day. We rarely use it.

We're doign a version of "biggest loser" in our martial arts club now. Two teams competing to see which team loses the most weight. I'm sick right now, so I have not been working out at all. I went for my weigh in on Wednesday night and had lost 3 pounds, unfortunately from sickness and not from working out.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991