CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   To Cruise or not to Cruise.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/379957-cruise-not-cruise.html)

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 05:22 PM

To Cruise or not to Cruise....

We've been looking for something very romantic for our wedding anniversary in 2012 but can't make up our mind if it's going to be a cruise or not. The CNN Article this morning was interesting so I thought I'd ask you guys.

We have our eye on the 11 day Azamara Riviera's and Amalfi Coast cruise on September 23rd. But at $4,100 pp for a balcony, you're looking at $750 a day. Beautiful itinerary and extremely romantic but for $8,000 without flights, that's a nice apartment for a week in Positano with tons of cash to spare.

Your thoughts? would you spend that kind of cash for that Itinerary? or would you do it by land?

Monaco
St.Tropez
Portofino
Cinque Terra
Sorrento
Amalfi
Capri
Sicily
Rome

johnthed0g January 28th, 2011 05:32 PM

We don't think we could do a land holiday now, cruises are so varied. 2009 was our special year, we were 60 & had been married 40 years, we decided not to bother with a party so we went on four cruises!! None were special cruises as such but we enjoyed them. Canary Islands, West Med., Norwegian Fjords, East Med. So maybe don't get wound up to do a special cruise, have a special year?

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1347351)
We don't think we could do a land holiday now, cruises are so varied. 2009 was our special year, we were 60 & had been married 40 years, we decided not to bother with a party so we went on four cruises!! None were special cruises as such but we enjoyed them. Canary Islands, West Med., Norwegian Fjords, East Med. So maybe don't get wound up to do a special cruise, have a special year?

We're the opposite, some of the best vacations we have had are land trips. I also don't get that much vacation time :)

anniegb January 28th, 2011 05:37 PM

Hi

Very easily done by land - I have done it a few times. The best way is by land JMHO.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Annie

Marc January 28th, 2011 06:07 PM

Trackypup, you can get a 10 day cruise that includes air, one night pre hotel, transfers, and a suite with all beverages, tips, and specialy restaurants included for around $7300 per person on Regent Seven Seas Mariner or Voyager.

The 2012 schedule is not out yet (will be in two weeks) but I have been told that 2012 prices are almost the same as 2011. I did a comparison with the Voyager 09/29/11 Venice to Monte Carlo itinerary. This itinerary has one day in Sorrento (until late night) and next day in Positano.

I have spent a couple of anniversaries on Regent; both wonderful. I also have another dozen or so cruises with them. I can't think of a better place for an anniversary.

johnthed0g January 28th, 2011 06:07 PM

We have done loads of land based trips mostly Caribbean in search of some sun, since we started cruising we have not done as much.

venice January 28th, 2011 06:21 PM

have you considered a barge cruise (6-12 psgrs) thru the south of France?..all inclusive and very romantic

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1347357)
Trackypup, you can get a 10 day cruise that includes air, one night pre hotel, transfers, and a suite with all beverages, tips, and specialy restaurants included for around $7300 per person on Regent Seven Seas Mariner or Voyager.

The 2012 schedule is not out yet (will be in two weeks) but I have been told that 2012 prices are almost the same as 2011. I did a comparison with the Voyager 09/29/11 Venice to Monte Carlo itinerary. This itinerary has one day in Sorrento (until late night) and next day in Positano.

I have spent a couple of anniversaries on Regent; both wonderful. I also have another dozen or so cruises with them. I can't think of a better place for an anniversary.

That itinerary is very close to one we looked at on Oceania and quite liked. I'm sure they'll be some more options to look at once the other lines put out their itineraries

anniegb January 28th, 2011 06:24 PM

Hi

How much vacation time do you have?

Another option would be to stay in Ravello; hire a car and visit the area.

Annie

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 06:29 PM

I get 6 weeks but my boss gets the shakes if I take more than 3 at a time. Azamara also has a nice 7 day one around that time that does the Amalfi Coast, that might be a nice option and then take the train up to Cinque Terra and French Riviera. Split our time between land and a cruise. I'm very impatient waiting for all the lines to put out their itineraries ;)

anniegb January 28th, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1347369)
I get 6 weeks but my boss gets the shakes if I take more than 3 at a time. Azamara also has a nice 7 day one around that time that does the Amalfi Coast, that might be a nice option and then take the train up to Cinque Terra and French Riviera. Split our time between land and a cruise. I'm very impatient waiting for all the lines to put out their itineraries ;)

On year I flew into Nice, spent time on the French Riviera then trained via Genoa to Santa Margherita (Ligure) and accessed the Cinque Terre from there.

You can then train to La Spezia and access trains to the rest of Italy from there.

It amused me that on the Nice-Genoa train, the Italian conductor tried to persuade a group of American students to abandon their planned trip to Milan in favour of the Cinque Terre.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Annie

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1347376)
On year I flew into Nice, spent time on the French Riviera then trained via Genoa to Santa Margherita (Ligure) and accessed the Cinque Terre from there.

You can then train to La Spezia and access trains to the rest of Italy from there.

It amused me that on the Nice-Genoa train, the Italian conductor tried to persuade a group of American students to abandon their planned trip to Milan in favour of the Cinque Terre.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Annie

Too funny! but the shopping is better in Milan :p We've done that train actually. 2008 after our Greek Island cruise we took the train from Civitavecchia to Monaco and spent 5 days there. Santa Margarita looks like a lovely base. We were in Camogli a couple of years ago, it's such a beautiful area.

Marc January 28th, 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1347365)
have you considered a barge cruise (6-12 psgrs) thru the south of France?..all inclusive and very romantic

Actually, a small group, with the rest being strangers, is probably one of the least romantic trips. On a cruise ship, you can do your own thing. On a barge, you are all together.

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1347365)

I haven't but only because we've spent a ton of time in France. We did three weeks last year in Burgundy, Loire, Provence and the Riviera so I thought it would be a lot of repeats. But don't get me wrong, we love the area.

My husband was just looking at a Princess itinerary of Venice to Rome on Pacific Princess (for 2011 - who knows for 2012) and really likes it...so another one to add in the mix...it's an interesting itinerary.

Lakers Fan January 28th, 2011 10:04 PM

I think a factor should be how many years married you will be celebrating .If its #17 either but if its # 50 I would do something extravagant .

Marc January 28th, 2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1347453)
I think a factor should be how many years married you will be celebrating .If its #17 either but if its # 50 I would do something extravagant .

All anniversaries should be celebrated; you never know which one may be your last.

Lakers Fan January 28th, 2011 10:33 PM

I agree that all anniversaries should be celebrated but certain years are special such as 25 ,50 ,etc .

Trackypup January 28th, 2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1347453)

15 Years for us

venice January 29th, 2011 04:28 AM

there is a 6 night Barge cruise from Venice that I am seriously looking at for 2013 (2012 we are going on the Dave Koz and Friends full charter jazz cruise out of Barcelona)

Marc..interesting perspective about a small group..I've had the totally opposite experience, my lady friend thought it was very romantic because it was very intimate...it might have helped that we were with 8 other interesting couple's and we did some activities together and we did alot just with the 2 of us..it was a weekend Maine Windjammer cruise

anniegb January 29th, 2011 05:01 AM

How about something totally different - a safari! Absolutely fabulous!

Staff:guest ratio was at a min 5:1

I have a significant birthday in 2012 and I am debating between a luxe cruise and a safari and safari is currently winning.

:)

Annie

Marc January 29th, 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1347540)
How about something totally different - a safari! Absolutely fabulous!

Staff:guest ratio was at a min 5:1

I have a significant birthday in 2012 and I am debating between a luxe cruise and a safari and safari is currently winning.

:)

Annie

A safari is wonderful!!! There are so many fantastic camps in South Africa. Mix in time in Cape Town and a drive along the Garden Route and you have a wonderful trip.

Aerogirl January 29th, 2011 11:54 AM

We went to Hawaii for our 10th, it's still the best vacation to date. It was a land vacation and we did four islands. Give it some thought if you haven't been there already.

Trackypup January 29th, 2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1347581)
We went to Hawaii for our 10th, it's still the best vacation to date. It was a land vacation and we did four islands. Give it some thought if you haven't been there already.

We got married in Hawaii actually but have been back several times

venice January 29th, 2011 02:36 PM

safari is a great idea:D..google Zambezi Queen..and you can combine a photo safari with a luxury cruise..throw in a side trip to Capetown (great music and beaches) & Johannesburg (great wine country) and you have the making of a romantic special trip