Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Airline restroom rant

The facilities on airplanes...

Have you ever been waiting so long that you started knocking on the door and found out someone was still in there taking like 30 minutes? Why?

Have you ever had a seat next to the toilet on an international flight and had to smell the "dairy air" (as John Heald would say) for 12 hours wafting out everytime the door opened?

Have you ever been on an international flight and all the toilets have stuff left in them that didn't go down and absolutely no one is willing to fix it?

Doesn't it make you wonder why each flight doesn't assign at least one attendant as the "sanitation engineer?"

Have you ever used the "lift the occupied sign" trick to unlock the toilet from the outside only to find someone was still in there?

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
The facilities on airplanes...

Have you ever been waiting so long that you started knocking on the door and found out someone was still in there taking like 30 minutes? Why?

Have you ever had a seat next to the toilet on an international flight and had to smell the "dairy air" (as John Heald would say) for 12 hours wafting out everytime the door opened?

Have you ever been on an international flight and all the toilets have stuff left in them that didn't go down and absolutely no one is willing to fix it?

Doesn't it make you wonder why each flight doesn't assign at least one attendant as the "sanitation engineer?"

Have you ever used the "lift the occupied sign" trick to unlock the toilet from the outside only to find someone was still in there?

Thank you for the laugh! Though I cannot relate. I avoid pubilc restrooms at all costs. I have NEVER used the facilities on an Airplane (longest flight LAX to Hawaii).

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

I too avoid public restrooms unless absolutely necessary .
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Gad - my wife is the same - she can avoid thge restroom on a flight for hours. Not me.

If she really has to go then we have to rationalize it - "do you think it's OK?"

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Familiar Face

I have been on an airline where the flight attendants were responsible for the condition of the restrooms - China Air. Flying coach, I got up to use the restroom mid-flight of my 16 hours. The attendant saw me, raced ahead and did a quick disenfecting and sprucing of the restroom before I went in. It was wonderful, but to be honest I was embarrassed that she did that for me. By the way - the restroom had no odor.

I cannot say I was okay with other practices on that airline - no computers for check in - just clipboards and no calling by section - everyone just crammed forward to board the flight.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Admiral

After leaving the plane when everyone heads for the baggage area I am literally running to the rest room .
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The Asians are not known for keeping orderly lines. They are known for making a tent shape with their hands over their heads and wedging themselves into a crowded room (like an elevator).

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In chat one night, I mentioned how odd the ladies rooms were on the Eclipse. They most they have in any ladies room is 3 stalls. One woman, who uses a scooter, said what many of you did..I don't use public bathrooms..Another said I go to my cabin...well, I think we all would go to our cabin if we could manage too, but realistically, that can be troublesome for many.

Usually restrooms by the theaters/restaurants have a larger amounts of stalls, so imagine the lines there! I would use that nice southern expression, with multiple meansings to say to those who make mad dashes....well bless your hearts

btw..never had issues on planes...fortunately

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Thank you for the laugh! Though I cannot relate. I avoid pubilc restrooms at all costs. I have NEVER used the facilities on an Airplane (longest flight LAX to Hawaii).
OMG not me! I think I have visited every washroom in every store, every gas station, every house, every cruise ship, every train, boat, bus and train I have ever traveled. I cannot hold it, there's just no way.
I agree with Paul's rant, he makes some valid points, but I'd rather have to use a dirty washroom than "dirty" myself!

donna
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Admiral

911 has changed many onboard airline processes including use of onboard rest rooms

I'm looking to fly from Atlanta to Johannesburg/Capetown South Africa which is about 18 hours non stop..decided to change planes in Brussels due in part to the challenges Paul describes
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post

OMG not me! I think I have visited every washroom in every store, every gas station, every house, every cruise ship, every train, boat, bus and train I have ever traveled. I cannot hold it, there's just no way.
I agree with Paul's rant, he makes some valid points, but I'd rather have to use a dirty washroom than "dirty" myself!

donna
Donna, you must be related to my hubby. My son will be just like his dad. My daughter, however, takes after her momma. I remember one time we were at a water park in the town and she had to use the facilitities. I wanted to drive her home, she said it was urgent. Reluctantly, I took her to the bathrrom. We got inside and took one look (and whiff) and she said, "that's okay, I will save it for later". That's my girl.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by debp View Post
I have been on an airline where the flight attendants were responsible for the condition of the restrooms - China Air. Flying coach, I got up to use the restroom mid-flight of my 16 hours. The attendant saw me, raced ahead and did a quick disenfecting and sprucing of the restroom before I went in. It was wonderful, but to be honest I was embarrassed that she did that for me. By the way - the restroom had no odor.

I cannot say I was okay with other practices on that airline - no computers for check in - just clipboards and no calling by section - everyone just crammed forward to board the flight.
I did the last Rhapsody cruise out of Texas before it moved to Asia. They were changing the cabin stewards in anticipation and I had a Chinese steward for the first time. His english wasn't very good, but that was the CLEANEST cabin we have ever had.

I try to wait until we reach the terminal when flying. Not always possible, but then again it's easier for guys.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I couldn't hold it for two hours if I tried - nor would I. I mean if you want to sleep on a red-eye to Frankfurt how do you do that with a full bladder?

I wash my hands, dry thoroughly and use the towel to open the door. Then I break out the hand sanitizer and the moist towelettes and do a thorough cleaning (actually, that last part is optional).

Number 1 is not pretty, but it is actually sterile chemically speaking. #2 is much worse, but think about doctors & nurses who deal with it daily. They all manage to live normal lives.

This is the kind of discussion I have with my wife when she really needs to go but is afraid.

Wow - this really is a hotter topic than I thought.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Admiral

I wipe my seat tray with wipes and bring water on to drink. Alway have wipes with me on a flight!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Gad - my wife is the same - she can avoid thge restroom on a flight for hours. Not me.

If she really has to go then we have to rationalize it - "do you think it's OK?"
I can fly London-Beijing w/o having to make a visit.

I have never had problem with the facilities if I have had to use them.

Annie
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Paul, don't get started on air lines. I can't remember when a flight time was not changed. I pick them based on the best time and pay for it, only to have it changed. I have been told by doctors to get up and walk around on longer flights, only to have airlines say stay seated. I think thats why I enjoy the few cruises out of SF we take so much. Mike
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Mike..blood clotting is a huge medical concern on international flights...when I fly international, i try to walk around the cabin at least once per hour and do seat exercises
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Admiral

I try to avoid using the "lav." but one comment & this is a fact, on our recent flight we were in the premium cabin, we had our own toilet, one between 63 people, the rest had 4 between about 250 people, same ratio I think. Our toilet was as clean at the end of the flight as it was in the beginning, the one's at the back were like pig stye's. What am I saying ...nothing really, just an observation.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I once had a problem with using public bathrooms. Then I had most of my entrails removed and I now have no problem. A case of necessity.

I've had few problems with airplane bathrooms. I do get a shiver when the person who comes out looks like they spend their time living in a refrigerator box under a bridge. The Lysol wipes are always in my pocket.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Can you imaginee a person who has airplane bathroom issues and claustraphobia, and has an emergancy? Now, that would be tough...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I was on a LAX to NY flight on that airline that Trump used to own? Tower Air, and the back bathrooms got so dirty they were literally overflowing with crud. And that flight was going on to tel Aviv from NY.

Thank God I got off in NY. I can't imagine.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post

donna
I agree with Donna! When you gotta go, you gotta go! I've recently changed a cruise shore excursion because I realized we'd be almost 3 hours each way on a bus with no "facilities". Yikes!

I've "gone" in some fairly primitive places and have never had anything terrible happen.

I carry TP with me and use paper towels or TP to open the door out of the restroom. You're more likely to get something off the door handle than off the toilet seat :eek: !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am like Donna, If I see a bathroom, I have to go. I guess I have been lucky over the years that I didn't die, or get really sick.

I have to go to the bathroom, because if I saw bugs in the food, I would pee all over myself, and then the next thing I knew, there would be a thread started about people that pee on themselves on planes.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Decades ago on a flight to Miami, I had to go. It was a little turbulent but not that bad. I went into the bathroom, shut the door, lifted the seat, started to go and at that moment, the airplane hit one hell of an air pocket.

Need I elaborate further?

Todd
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I was on an Alaska Air flight once, and there was no sink in the bathrooms. They only had packaged wet wipes. I'd have thought that would be illegal... but apparently not.

That was the only and last time I flew Alaska Air.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
Admiral

as bad as an airline lav may be..the 1st time i was in Instanbul and visited the Blue Mosque, I found my way into the public "men's room"..it was a hole in the ground...as bad as i had to go, i held it until i got back to the ship....that's saying something because i grew up the first 12 years of my life without indoor plumbing so i knew what an outhouse was
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
Admiral

You get those "hole in the ground" lavs in Europe, or as someone described one to me ..."a hole, two footprints & a straining bar!" What on earth is that about? who thought of this system....medieval? not really they had sit down lav's in Roman times & in old castles over here. I blame the French (we tend to blame the French for everything here, failing that the Germans, but the Germans don't do that ''toilet hole'' thing)
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am also a victim of the power of suggestion. It stems from once having a blocked ureter while visiting Tijuana. I had an operation about two weeks previously that left a few blod clots in my urine.

We went to Tijuana and started drinking beer, and I had to go, and it wouldn't come out. OMG!

We had to rush back over the border and get me to an emergency room in San Ysidro. It took two hours and the pain was horrible. You can imagine what the border check was like.

Anyway - at the ER were 100 people, so I had to wait. So I went in the mens room and decided to try it from a different angle and it came out. It turns out men have a straighter path when sitting.

ANYWAY - since then I can't leave the house without going first, or get on a plane, bus, etc. I once had a twilight-zone like panic attack getting on a city to city bus in Jersey and seeing no restroom.

I think it is surprising how many people here have completely different preferences and ways of doing such a simple thing. I am sure the industry (like the Japanese toilet makers) already know all this stuff, but geeze - what a surprising amount of diversity.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

And the worst "hole in ground" I ever saw was in China - it was a trench in a public place with nothing to push the debris along (even the Romans had running water in the sewers). And no way to wash up afterwards.

Not a sanitary place. Even a major tourist attraction in a major city had no running water, sad.