CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   The Most Unforgettable Character You've ever Met (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/380111-most-unforgettable-character-youve-ever-met.html)

Lakers Fan February 2nd, 2011 12:41 PM

The Most Unforgettable Character You've ever Met

Readers Digest features a "Most Unforgettable Character you've ever met" feature .Is there someone in your past who fits this description ?

For me its sort of in reverse .When I was a youngster my father took me to a friends office .He was bringing his nephew and even though he was 3 years younger it was expected that we would get along . Pictures were taken of both of us playing (I still have them) . Approximately 10 years ago I was at a conference ,the guest lecturer was Donald Trump .Afterward selected audience members were chosen to meet "the Donald ." I was not among those chosen but I got to speak to his VP of Operations ,I showed him a picture of 5 year old Donald .He said "one minute ". Out came Mr.Trump and he gave me 5 seconds "nice to see you."

Luanne Russo February 2nd, 2011 10:21 PM

My son, Joe. He was very special.

ToddDH February 3rd, 2011 12:46 AM

I once snuck into the high school auditorium and played a "chopsticks tripet" with Arthur Ferrante and Louis Teicher where they were practicing for an up coming concert that evening.

At the beginning of the concern that evening they made the announcement that they wouldn't be playing one of their signature pieces "The Theme From Exodus" because they felt that with out an orchestra background it wouldn't sound that good. At the end of the concert on their last curtain call they said they were going to play a special song especially for the young boy down in the first row (and Ferrante pointed to me).

They sat down and played the Theme from Exodus! It never sounded better! The next day at school, a friend who took classical piano (he was/is of the type who believes that anything other than true classical isn't music) and actually became a professional classical musician and a maestro, walked up and said, "Okay, how'd you pull that one off?" "Hey, sometimes it helps if you play boogie woogie rock 'n roll!"

My only other claim to fame was that I once did the twist with Chubby Checker on the stage at the local collegeback in '97. Now that took an enormous amount of cooercion (including three rather large men) to even get me up on the stage, much less actually dance!

Todd

rollerdonna February 3rd, 2011 07:31 AM

That's pretty cool Todd!

donna

Phil&Liz February 3rd, 2011 06:10 PM

For me there have been several that would fit the bill.

I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with a few outstanding cardiologists.. Julio Palmaz-the one the coronary stent is named after was one. Met the lesser known other half of the inventor team Dr. Richard Schatz.

Dr. Red Duke is quite a character. Got to sit and chat with him a few times.

Here at CM I would have to say that Stormin Norman is unforgettable ! Can't wait to meet with him again on BC4.

I am sure Dave the Wave is an unforgettable character, too. One day I shall meet him, too.

johnthed0g February 3rd, 2011 06:22 PM

I have met a few most forgettable people....but I forgot

Cruznut2 February 3rd, 2011 08:32 PM

She is not famous for anything but just being herself. Many here have seen my posts about her, some have even met her. Her name is Patty. Patty is a sweet woman who is mentally challenged. She is tiny about 5 feet tall. At the age of 5 she was admitted into the "Laconia State School" an institution for mentally challenged persons in Laconia NH. There she lived for the next 30 years. Eventually she was let out into the community to live. Patty was in group homes and even had her own apartment with support. Eventually a program called Shared Family Living came into being. I met Patty in 2000 when I was being considered as a candidate to take a client into my home. Patty moved in in September 2000 and there she stayed for 5 years. She had a job and went to it every day. She just spent a few hours a day cleaning a restaurant dining room. She was so proud of her job. The waitresses all "lost" change on the floor or tables for Patty to find. She was always delighted to come home with a pocket full of change. Of course she was paid for her work too but her checks were deposited into her accounts. Her public guardian handled her finances. Patty is very religious and went to church on a regular basis. She is Catholic but for her any church is okay. As she once said God is everywhere so it should not matter what church you go to. Patty and I were best friends and did everything together. She went with me to Louisiana to meet my daughter and grandchildren. I also took her on a cruise with me. We went with a CruiseMates group on Carnival Glory. She of course got medals and even the coveted "Ship On A Stick". She blatantly flirted with the CD Mark Price and bragged about the cute guy that kissed her on the boat.
Shortly after that cruise Patty was moved to another home where she remains today. From the time she moved until the time I moved to Florida I saw her every week for an outing. I still keep in touch with her by phone. I miss her a lot but I know she is happy and that is okay.

Laura

belgique February 3rd, 2011 11:23 PM

Cruznut's post cannot be topped for "Unforgettable People". The unforgettable are not always celebrities, athletes, movie stars, politicians or astronauts, but the people we meet in our lives who touch us the most.

Patty was fortunate to find Cruznut and vice versa. Patty would also be on top of a list of "Most Important People I Have Met". Well said, Cruznut.

Cruznut2 February 4th, 2011 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgique (Post 1349460)
Cruznut's post cannot be topped for "Unforgettable People". The unforgettable are not always celebrities, athletes, movie stars, politicians or astronauts, but the people we meet in our lives who touch us the most.

Patty was fortunate to find Cruznut and vice versa. Patty would also be on top of a list of "Most Important People I Have Met". Well said, Cruznut.

Thank you Belgigue.

Laura

Lakers Fan February 4th, 2011 10:23 AM

Such a beautiful story

Cruznut2 February 4th, 2011 12:55 PM

http://s1.postimage.org/z1226284/163...31_2679229.jpg

Patty, Deb, The woman who takes care of her now. Lorraine, another client that Deb cares for.

Laura