Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Talking Trivia -- Won and Lost

I have seen a number of posters mention how they like Trivia on board the ships.

Of course the questions that stick in your mind are the ones you won -- or lost -- a game on!

Here is one I remember:

"What color is a bride's dress in China?"

I let my DW talk me out of the RIGHT answer ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Is it RED ?
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Is it RED ?
I think you are right Henry.Indian women also wear red,

However most Chinese women opt for a Western wedding dress I understand.

Certainly my Chinese SIL was wearing Ivory on her Wedding Day in 1995.

BTW we had 2 wedding receptions incl meanl; the Chinese meal was largely shellfish and guess who is allergic to shellfish? But hey ho it was a free or 'open' bar at both receptions and I had but a glass of wine the whole day.

Annie
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Admiral

My nickname is "Mr. Trivia " .
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Win or lose, we love Trivia, on board the ship and at home. We play twice a week at local pubs!

donna
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Win or lose, we love Trivia, on board the ship and at home. We play twice a week at local pubs!

donna
I've spent some good quality time at the Old Stone Pub at the Customs House.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Default Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post

donna
I do a daily trivia quiz on the music board that I contribute to
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I've been called upon many times to dig deep, to help someome answer something..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 6th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Here is one I had to answer on Carnival Spirit. Who invented the bra? Answer is Otto Titzling.

Later I did hear that this is not true so I looked it up on Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/bra.asp

You be the judge.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 6th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Default Trivia

Yes, RED it is!

Remember what the Trivia Master (or Mistress) always says: "We take our questions from Trivial Pursuit and the answer they give is the RIGHT answer."

My DW talked our team out of my suggestion of red and insisted that we answer yellow.

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It wasn't in cruise trivia but many years ago I did an audition for Jeopardy at the Mall of America.

There were hundreds of people auditioning and I made it to the final twelve. Us twelve were divided into four teams and played a game of Jeopardy and the winners would be on the show.

In my game we made it to final Jeopardy and I was in the lead with just over $12,000 and the final Jeopardy category was "Astronomy". The answer was: was "Alpha Crucis is the brightest star in this constellation." The person in second place was only $1,000 or so behind me and I thought I knew astronomy fairly well so I bet $10,000. Alas, I didn't know the answer and wrote down Cassiopeia. Wrong answer! I lost and went home. No one knew the answer but bet less than I did. I came in third.

When I got home I told my wife what happened and asked her. "Alpha Crucis is the brightest star in what constellation?" Without hesitation she said: "The Southern Cross." My wife grew up in Brasil and the Southern Cross is as common to her as Ursa Major "Big Dipper" is to us. It just goes to show that you need to pay attention to the world below the equator.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Talking Alpha Crucis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I

In my game we made it to final Jeopardy and I was in the lead with just over $12,000 and the final Jeopardy category was "Astronomy". The answer was: was "Alpha Crucis is the brightest star in this constellation." The person in second place was only $1,000 or so behind me and I thought I knew astronomy fairly well so I bet $10,000. Alas, I didn't know the answer and wrote down Cassiopeia. Wrong answer! I lost and went home. No one knew the answer but bet less than I did. I came in third.

When I got home I told my wife what happened and asked her. "Alpha Crucis is the brightest star in what constellation?" Without hesitation she said: "The Southern Cross." My wife grew up in Brasil and the Southern Cross is as common to her as Ursa Major "Big Dipper" is to us. It just goes to show that you need to pay attention to the world below the equator.

Take care,
Mike
... now, here is one where I probably would have had a discussion with the Trivia Master.

Stars are named according to the constellation they are in, and with a Greek letter to indicate the brightness. Thus, the nearest star, "Alpha Centauri" is the brightest star (alpha) in the constellation Centaurus. Alpha Crucis is then the brightest star in the constellation Crucis and that is what I would have put. Crucis is commonly called the Southern Cross, but that is not it's scientific name. I always say that if they ask a scientific question, they should want a scientific answer, so if Crucis was not the answer I would have been miffed!

Old February 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Admiral

we had the most recent example where a couple lost alot of $$ because they answer that the "yellow post stickers" were invented first, were told that they were wrong, went home and research and the tv station had to admit they made an error, but would not give them the money...that's just plain wrong
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
... now, here is one where I probably would have had a discussion with the Trivia Master.

Stars are named according to the constellation they are in, and with a Greek letter to indicate the brightness. Thus, the nearest star, "Alpha Centauri" is the brightest star (alpha) in the constellation Centaurus. Alpha Crucis is then the brightest star in the constellation Crucis and that is what I would have put. Crucis is commonly called the Southern Cross, but that is not it's scientific name. I always say that if they ask a scientific question, they should want a scientific answer, so if Crucis was not the answer I would have been miffed!

The Southern Cross's astronomical name is Crux.

What irritated me was that Crux is Latin for cross. That, in itself, makes it an easy answer. I had a friend who went on "Wheel of Fortune". He was a very intelligent person but he said that he could feel his IQ drop by 20 points as soon as he stood at the wheel. I think I had the same problem.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Talking Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The Southern Cross's astronomical name is Crux.

What irritated me was that Crux is Latin for cross. That, in itself, makes it an easy answer. I had a friend who went on "Wheel of Fortune". He was a very intelligent person but he said that he could feel his IQ drop by 20 points as soon as he stood at the wheel. I think I had the same problem.

Take care,
Mike
-- I have heard some ministers say that standing at the pulpit sucks your memory out. Some of them have the Lord's Prayer taped to the pulpit.

And of course we saw that the Super Bowl plays tricks with lyrics!

But I will say ... the first day I stood in front of 30 students to teach an Algebra class, looking out at that sea of faces left me wondering if I could add 2 + 2 and get it right!

Old February 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Captain

The best trivia prize we ever won was on Coral Princess. Whatever tchotchkes they had planned to award the winners were not available that day, so the cruise director substituted a bottle of champagne.
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Admiral

DH and I used to play triva all the time. I need to dig out our trivial pursuit game.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991