Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Default Cassette Player In Your Car

is no longer being manufactured...the last vehicle that came as optional equiptment is the 2010 Lexus..the future technology is something called "the cloud" which incorporates file storage...subscription radio will also quickly be the thing of the past

my 2003 VW Beetle came equipt with a radio/cassette/cd player..the only time I play a cassette is when I feel like listening to Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly Movie" soundtrack

in today's world we have our favorite music on cd, our computer, mp3/ipod and cell phone

I'm excited to see what the 2012 remodel VW beetle has for a sound system (which comes out in April according to that renown car authority Oprah)...ah for the days of my 1959 VW beetle with the 8 track deck that kept skipping at the end of the tape
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Admiral

I loved playing FM radio when I was driving . I would play a classic rock station with my windows open .
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

I wish I had a cassette player in my car, as I have so many old favourite cassettes and I always have to have music when I'm driving.
I make do with CDs, and love to get new ones that are good and different.

I recently had to buy a portable radio/cassette/CD player (formerly known as ghetto blaster!) and had a hard time finding one. They just don't make cassette players much anymore.

donna
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The last cassette player I had was in my 2002 Suburban. Since my daughter now has that one and I have a new car I no longer have a cassette player.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Admiral

I have a radio in my house with a casette player .I also have a turntable with a casette player . I saved about a dozen of my favorite casettes .
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Admiral

RDyou are so right about the boom boxes (ghetto blasters)..wonder where they all went wonder how many of the young kids that use to carry them on their shoulders will have hearing and arm joint problems when they get older
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I actually do have one in my car, but I've never used it. Have used the CD player though....

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Admiral

All THREE of our vehicles have a cassette player in the dash! My 2002 Tundra Pick-up, The lovely Mrs. Jones has a 2008 Honda Accord EX with the cassette, and my every day driver 2002 Accord VP also has the cassette player. I utilize them occasionally, and actually have at least 100 prerecorded cassettes around here. As others have noted, some of the music can't be readily found on any other media!

"SKY"
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Admiral

I have a cassette player and 6-cd player in my 2003 car. I have never used a cassette in it [through out all my cassettes about 10 years ago]. I can't remember the last time I used a cd in my car either. I have a "Car" ipod that stays plugged in on one of those griffin adapters, so it plays through my car stereo. DH has an adapter in his car, so his ipod just plugs into that and he can "navigate" his ipod play lists over his car stereo

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I listen to my books on tape, every time I get in the car, on the casette player.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default Cassette PLayer in Your Car

Venice, you mean I can't have Serus-EXM radio any more? I would love to have it installed in my car.

Keith has a cassette player in his car. Mine plays cassettes and CD's. I use the latter a lot.

Judy
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Familiar Face

I'm not sure I even know how a tape works.
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Judy..you can, it will just be outdated in 2 years or the next time you purchase a new car..take alook at the new onboard technology that Ford has as an indication of what is to come..stop to think about it, the only time I play my am radio is when i am listening to a New Orleans Saints game on my way home from church

who listens to am radio anymore (besides Henry)
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Default AM radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Judy..you can, it will just be outdated in 2 years or the next time you purchase a new car..take alook at the new onboard technology that Ford has as an indication of what is to come..stop to think about it, the only time I play my am radio is when i am listening to a New Orleans Saints game on my way home from church

who listens to am radio anymore (besides Henry)
I listen to AM radio for sports ,weather and news .
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I figured you wouldI fondly recall listening to WABC am during the 60's with Cousin Bruce Morrow, Herb Oscar Anderson, Dan Ingram and I forget the 4th DJ...at WNBC am Don Imus in the morning (back when he was a real DJ and not the butthead he has become)..that time fm was rare and if the wind and the moon was just right on saturday night we can hear "Wolfman Jack"being broadcast from a pirate boat outside of the 3 mile limit in California playing that 'outlaw" music (long playing albums)
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Default Wabc

Quote:
I figured you wouldI fondly recall listening to WABC am during the 60's with Cousin Bruce Morrow, Herb Oscar Anderson, Dan Ingram and I forget the 4th DJ...at WNBC am Don Imus in the morning (back when he was a real DJ and not the butthead he has become)..that time fm was rare and if the wind and the moon was just right on saturday night we can hear "Wolfman Jack"being broadcast from a pirate boat outside of the 3 mile limit in California playing that 'outlaw" music (long playing albums)

I never listened to WABC for music . However ,I saw Bruce Morrow aka Bruce Meyerowitz at a concert in 2009 in Brighton Beach ,Brooklyn.
I'm reading a book now titled The Rise and Fall of Rock Music .Its about the NYC FM stations in the 70's through the 90's.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Default Cassette Player in Your Car

I listen to music every time I get in the car.

Judy
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Admiral

Henry..did you ever lisen to WBLS fm which play alot of "the quiet storm" music ( smooth jazz and neo-soul long before it became popular)
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Default Wbls

Quote:
Henry..did you ever lisen to WBLS fm which play alot of "the quiet storm" music ( smooth jazz and neo-soul long before it became popular)

Venice :

Vaughn Harper is on WBLS 7PM-midnight ,Monday through Friday .
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
First Mate

We listen to a bit of news and music from a radio like this. It was in my mother's pantry when we cleaned out everything after she died. I found a guy who fixed the tuner with fish line and had the cabinet refinished. I treasure this old radio and DD#2 expects it after I am gone.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

I still have the 8-Track player I removed from my '66 Chevy when I got rid of it. Would probably still work if I even decided to install it.

But I'm happy with my 6 disc CD changer in the meantime.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Default Cassette Player in Your Car

Haimia, my grandfather had a radio like that in his living room. He worked in a flour mill and came home every noon and listened to polka music, etc., on it. Wow, that photo brings back childhood memories!

Judy
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
First Mate

This was actually my grandparents' radio. Mom and dad moved into their house after they had passed, so it was still their when they passed and we cleaned it out.