Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Your first vacation

Where did you go on your first vacation with your family as a child and your first vacation as an adult ?

For me ,both were to hotels in the Catskill Mountains .As a 5 year old my parents and I spent 2 weeks in Monticello ,NY and as a 21 year old I spent a week in Monticello,NY .
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As a child our family really didn't do vacations...day trips were excting when we did them.

Our first family trip we took our kids to, was Disney World in 1983. We were all able to fly for $519.00 for the 5 of us, because ofa Delta and Polaroid deal. I went crazy trying to find the cameras, to send in, what I needed from the packaging, to get the flight certificates. We tried to give to our kids, what we didn't have..we had a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 8th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Default Family trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
As a child our family really didn't do vacations...day trips were excting when we did them.

Our first family trip we took our kids to, was Disney World in 1983. We were all able to fly for $519.00 for the 5 of us, because ofa Delta and Polaroid deal. I went crazy trying to find the cameras, to send in, what I neded from the packaging, to get the flight certificates. We tried to give to our kids, what we didn't have..we had a ball!
Our first was to Boston,Mass. The kids loved walking on the Freedom Trail.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My family always spent vacations in Eastport Maine. We went there to visit my Grand parents for 2 weeks every summer usually over July 4th. We also had a summer cottage in Bristol NH where we spent the weekends in summer. My father built that cottage in the summer of 1953. It had cold running water in the kitchen. The bathroom was a short walk along a tree lined path behind the pine trees to the outhouse. Eventally that cabin was sold to another family. Dad built another cottage nearby with indoor plumbing..
I remember seeing the first cabin listed in the real estate ads in the 80's. I called the realtor to take me there. As I entered the cabin I was surprised to see the changes they made. They also added a bathroom and hot running water. The realtor said the building was just 10 years old. I asked again How old? He said it was built 10 years ago. I took him by surprise when I told him that I knew the cabin was built in 1953 because my Father built it. Then he tried to say the addition with the bathroom was 10 years old. I knew better because I also knew the owners and remember them adding that in the early 60's. The visit was a nice trip back in time.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 9th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Our first family trip we took our kids to, was Disney World in 1983. We were all able to fly for $519.00 for the 5 of us, because ofa Delta and Polaroid deal. I went crazy trying to find the cameras, to send in, what I needed from the packaging, to get the flight certificates. We tried to give to our kids, what we didn't have..we had a ball!
Trip:

Betty and my first vacation was also to Disney World in 1983. We had just married and took the two kids "plus" my three nieces and one nephew. You got by cheap. The whole trip cost us $2,900 but that was for eight of us. I remember the amount because I used my first bonus at my new job in Alabama to pay for it. The bonus was $3,000 and I had $100 left after paying for the flights, hotel and Disney admission. It was a wonderful time and we enjoyed Sea World, Circus World (now closed), Cocoa Beach and Kennedy Space Center more than Disney World.

Ah the memories.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me