Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default can any body just help?????/

My husband and I are going on a Carnival (Norwegian, Princess) Cruise next month. The cruise is a gift from his parents and we just can't be to spendthrift and we are to keep the costs low. How can we keep our alcohol costs under control?any ideas or suggestions, please help????
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Under control because you are an alcohol consumer, or because the tab is being picked up by someone else? Or asking how to sneak it on board?

Drinks average $8 each with tip included.
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Don't drink during the day, better for you too. House wine with dinner or make a bottle last two dinners? I don't think the packages are good value for the modest consumer.
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Bring a capped thermal cup and use it to fill up on water, lemonade or iced tea during the day by the pool. (these are free) Any soft drinks and liquor are over-priced, and besides, alcohol and sun are not a good mix.
Perhaps purchase online ahead of time, wine ordered to your room, or drink coupons to use on board. Most of all, have fun!

(by the way, which is it, Carnival, Norwegian, or Princess?)

donna
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Some of the cruise lines will allow you to order a bar setup in your room. They also sometimes have deals where you can buy several bottles of wine at a reduced price.

There are ways of getting alcohol on board. Not that I personally would know...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Admiral

its all about everything in moderation, yep its tempting when the waiters are always there with those pretty frou-frou drink specials, around the pool. I will try the drink of the day special, usually in the later afternoon, i do alternate between iced tea, lemonade, water and alcohol, only order the drink of the day specials on the day that they are offered, because they go up in price on the other days. I usually have a cocktail or a glass of wine with dinner, if we go out after dinner clubbing or partying then i might have a couple more over the course of the entire evening.
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Admiral

The main thing is to go and enjoy. Live it up and have a great time.

The time to save and be thrifty is when you are not on vacation.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Can someone else set up a sign and sail account for people cruising? Not sure I ever heard of that, or was lucky enough to be the recipient.

If not, then unless drink coupons were gifted you are giving them your
cash/credit/debit on the sail and sign acount.

The easiest way would be for them to buy the amount they are comfortable with,and you pay ofr the rest.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Admiral

You mentioned 3 cruiselines in your oriignal message - which is it?

If its is Carnival, you can bring two bottles of wine on in your carry-on. Bring your own corkscrew, and ask the room steward to bring you glasses.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bell View Post
cruise alcohol is something if you can;t afford then sneaking it any way is the best way and i know a good way for that. you can go for the camo caps. these white caps can seal the water bottles as they have been pakced in their plant. and when you have got your favorite booze in it just seal it with the camo caps and you are done. enjoy your journey
Well, to be perfectly honest about it, anybody who is so addicted to alcohol that they have to resort to smuggling it aboard would do better to skip the cruise and contact their local chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I know this is going to make a lot of people unhappy. This is not a joke nor an uneducated opinion. I served for many years on our County Advisory Board on Alcohol and Other Drug Problems and I know that hiding or smuggling alcohol is one of the warning signs of a problem.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Well, to be perfectly honest about it, anybody who is so addicted to alcohol that they have to resort to smuggling it aboard would do better to skip the cruise and contact their local chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I know this is going to make a lot of people unhappy. This is not a joke nor an uneducated opinion. I served for many years on our County Advisory Board on Alcohol and Other Drug Problems and I know that hiding or smuggling alcohol is one of the warning signs of a problem.
To be honest Mike I think people smuggle booze because of the cost on board not to be devious about their consumption. One good thing about P&O UK is that you can take your own drinks on & they sell it cheap by the bottle (litre Bacardi £12). Some even take their favourite wines with them & pay the corkage fees.
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
You mentioned 3 cruiselines in your oriignal message - which is it?

If its is Carnival, you can bring two bottles of wine on in your carry-on. Bring your own corkscrew, and ask the room steward to bring you glasses.
Also if the cruise line is Carnival you can call the Bon Voyage department directly with your booking number and cabin number and order bottles for your room. This is before the boarding the cruise ship. They can be pricey, but are still cheaper then ordering indivdual drinks. This is not smuggling, because you are buying directly from the cruise line. I believe NCL does a bar set up that you can pre order. While in port I like to pick up some canned soda and bottled water. That way I don't have to try and take it on an airplane. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default check this out

well seems interesting and even crazy, but i would suggest reading out the particular rules and legislation documents before trying that. because i doubt if that smuggling lands you in some serious trouble. make sure when you sneak alcohol on a cruise you are done with all such reading and research. if you search over the internet or consult someone, some die hard drunkards would recommend you hundred and one ways to do that, but its risky and there can be huge fun in doing that. personally i haven't tried that, and would never do as well.

if you love risks then this could be an adventurous one for you

mark
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Quote:
Can someone else set up a sign and sail account for people cruising? Not sure I ever heard of that, or was lucky enough to be the recipient.
If not, then unless drink coupons were gifted you are giving them your
cash/credit/debit on the sail and sign acount.

The easiest way would be for them to buy the amount they are comfortable with,and you pay ofr the rest.
Trip, Client friends or families have called us to have us deposit money into a booked guests account. It will show up in their onboard account.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Seems like............

Well it may seem interesting but before you actually bring this idea to grounds of practice make sure you know all the local rules and regulation in this context. Or I’m afraid you may end up you vacations behind the bars. At some place smuggling rules are very strict and you can’t ignore the very fact. And if alcohol is such a big issue then why don’t you just give it up. It will keep your good health as well.

God Bless

Josh

Last edited by Mike M; March 12th, 2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: removed embedded URL