Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Default How often do cruise prices change?

Yesterday, I was thinking of booking a cruise and decided not to. Today, the price of the cruise that I wanted to book went up $20 per person. Why do cruise prices change so often? I don't know whether to wait a little longer or to book the cruise now. Help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Supply and demand When is the cruise, far in advance or soon? What line..give us some details...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 12th, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Trip, Rob and I are interested in booking Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas, departing from Baltimore on December 5, 2011. I am kicking myself for not booking it, yesterday!
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Thats an interesting looking cruise .
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Noticed one going up exactly $20 this week too.

I have seen them change several times a day. Trip is right, it's all supply and demand. It is especially noticeable in categories that have few cabins. (1A's or 8N's for example)

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

This far out from that cruise all pricing is basically controlled with computerized yield management programs.

A little spike in bookings can cause that jump, then if things slow down, the price could come down again.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Admiral

In the UK they call it "fluid pricing" so yes basically supply & demand, or as they see it anyway. Way it works here is they publish a brochure/web page with "full price" this is an imaginary figure that nobody ever pays, next to that IN THE SAME PAGE they publish the "special fares" which let's be honest are the real fares. They try to convince you that if you book early (1-to-2years) you get to choose your cabin & dinner sitting (true) & the price will only rise from this point (not always true). So from the time the brochure is published after an initial period prices do usually rise, & if the cruise if selling well the prices do continue to rise....BUT as the departure date looms & maybe people cancel or fail to pay the balance they then reduce the price, sometimes drastically with offers of large OBC too, any availability after that may well go to "friends & family /staff". In the last few days before departure they either sell off remaining places dead cheap to anyone who can just drop things & go...OR it the cruise is popular & not many places are left then they may even charge MORE or as much as the original price(the one nobody pays).
This may not be totally accurate but just gives an idea of how I think it works.
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Thanks so much for your input, fellow cruisemates. I never knew that prices could change several times in one day! I guess it behooves me to check often about cruise prices.
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Admiral

Default An Example of what happens with P&O

Here is am example, personally I think this practice is a disgrace, I KNOW what people say about "you were happy with the price when you booked" nobody minds a few pounds variation but people we know have had a major row with their TA because the price they paid for their cabin has been reduced from about 2,700 to 1,400 each that is a difference of 2,600 on the holiday, This is patently ridiculous, so ridiculous that it was cheaper to cancel, lose the deposit & re-book elsewhere, this cannot be right, as I say a few quid is one thing but over half is beyond belief. The cruise is several months away so it's not a last minute thing.