CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Popular trivia question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/380525-popular-trivia-question.html)

MercedMike February 17th, 2011 01:08 PM

Popular trivia question

Here is one that, interestingly, has shown up three times on various cruises. Seems that Quizmasters find it irresistible!

What is Arachibutyrophobia?

Queen of Oakville February 17th, 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1353005)
Here is one that, interestingly, has shown up three times on various cruises. Seems that Quizmasters find it irresistible!

What is Arachibutyrophobia?

Well, I was way off base. I googled for the answer, but my first guess was fear of spider bites. My brain saw "arach' and I ran with it.

rayb February 17th, 2011 04:01 PM

c

I do not like peanut buter sticking to the roof of my mouth.

rollerdonna February 17th, 2011 07:57 PM

Maybe you guys can settle a disagreement we all had with the Trivia guy at the pub last night.
The question was, in Peter Pan, what breed of dog was "Nana"?
We all answered St. Bernard.
His answer was Newfoundlander (which by the way are only black, and Nana was not black!).
What do you say?

donna

Lakers Fan February 17th, 2011 10:14 PM

I say St. Bernard

ToddDH February 17th, 2011 10:28 PM

I think we need more info. Was the question related to the Broadway play, the original book, the Disney movie or do you know?

Every Nana I've seen has been a St. Bernard but maybe in the book it was a Newfoundlander.

Todd

ToddDH February 17th, 2011 10:31 PM

R/D

I hated to but it was driving me crzay so I had to Google it and your pub guy was correct. In the original version of the play she was a Newfoundlander.

Todd

rollerdonna February 18th, 2011 09:28 AM

Hmmm interesting Todd. I guess I was thinking of the Disney book and Disney movie. So basically, we were both right, and after much yelling in the pub, he finally agreed to accept either answer!

donna

skymaster February 18th, 2011 09:39 AM

HMMM,,,guess that's why I don't do much "trivia". I thought he was a Rat Terrier! :rolleyes:

"SKY"

rollerdonna February 18th, 2011 10:47 AM

Sky, "Nana" was a SHE! Remind me not to have you on my trivia team....;)

donna

johnthed0g February 18th, 2011 10:52 AM

Diffficult if there are two versions b ut I would say that the generally accepted version would be the St. Bernard. Just for information Newfoundlands (no "ers") can be Black or black & white known as "Landseer's"

MercedMike February 18th, 2011 01:08 PM

Back to peanut butter ...

Spiders are known as Arachnids which leads one to the guess of fear of spiders. This is from the Greek legend of Arachnae, who was turned into a spider for telling the truth.

But in fact, the "arach" part does indeed refer to the peanut, or groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) The best I can find out about that is

"Arachis was the name, among the ancient Greeks, of some leguminous weed, not the peanut. The precise ancient meaning of arachis is unknown but the components of the word suggest that arachis may have been composed of:

/a/ Greek ‘not’ + rachis Greek ‘spine, backbone’

so that the flower of this ancient weed perhaps appeared to have no central support structure or axis or rib. In 18th-century Botanical Latin, rachis was the part name for the main axis of a leaf or the rib of a frond or leaf. Rachis is still used in botany with this meaning — but we don’t know if the ancient Greeks used it in that sense. Such a derivation is etymologically possible. But it’s just a guess, kiddies — although a well-educated guess — he said humbly. "

And ... butyro-, butyr- +. (Greek > Latin: butter; from bou[s] , "ox, cow" plus tyro[s], "cheese").

So, accurately, it should refer simply to fear of peanut butter. The sticking to the roof of the mouth part is ... dare I say it ... tongue in cheek, I believe!! ;)

Watch for this question in your next trivia game! It could be good for a luggage tag.

rollerdonna February 18th, 2011 08:29 PM

Well, since you're getting technical about the "Arachni" part, I should mention that "Arachide" is peanut in French, therefore Beurre (butter) d'arachide is peanut butter.
I should have figured it out by that alone...

donna

MercedMike February 20th, 2011 12:25 PM

Canadian advantage

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1353406)
Well, since you're getting technical about the "Arachni" part, I should mention that "Arachide" is peanut in French, therefore Beurre (butter) d'arachide is peanut butter.

donna

Aha! You see, one place that Canadians have an advantage in Trivia games!

;);)

Queen of Oakville February 22nd, 2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1353406)

donna

yeah, you and me both! It made perfect sense after I found the answer.