Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Tea & Me:)

Have you had high tea on a cruise? Did you enjoy it,and what was served? Were people dressed or did people walk in with shorts, etc?

I have been a tea drinker my entire life, and have yet to try a high tea on a cruise When I was a kid, my Mother made herself a bologne sandwich and a cuppa tea, and set it down, and when she came back, it look like a mouse has eaten her sandwich,and half her tea was gone.

Every where I travel, I look for different teas...I just bought LifeBoat Tea today, made in Africa, but, imported through the UK. I drink it black, with nothing in it..occaisionally with lemon. Some will look askance at that

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Trip,

Azamara do a very nice afternoon tea accompanied by a lady harpist. I thoroughly enjoyed them on a TA. Tea was generally served in one of the speciaility restaurants.

No shorts or jeans in sight! Smart casual, from memory, was how people dressed.

Tea made in individual pots - not cups - my choice was Darjeeling - which I can drink black. Yes lemon was available. I drink coffee normally. Scones were only half the size we serve in Scotland but hey ho - a minor quibble.

Not what we would call High Tea in Scotland, but very,very nice.

Annie

PS High Tea in Scotland may include either a salad or Fish and Chips.
Afternoon tea was a Daily Event.
Azamara have anytime dining.

Last edited by anniegb; February 20th, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: PS
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Admiral

I Did go to a High Tea event on the Celebrity Mercury and people were nicely dressed and they had scones and several other desserts.

I did enjoy it, but since I allways have early dinner, it was a bit too much to have the tea and then a nice dinner not much later.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!

Last edited by Manuel; February 20th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Afternoon tea & high tea are different as I understand it, Afternoon tea is the little sandwiches & cakes thing, quite gentile...High tea would maybe involve a hot course but light like poached egg on toast welsh rarebit or similar, all a bit too cultured for me but we did do it on Cunard. Smart casual I would say, no shorts.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Hi Trip,

The Cunard offering is very similar to that of Azamara, in that it is accompanied by music, such as a harpist, piano, or string quartet, and every dressed appropriately.

The process is that you take, or are shown, to a table of 4 in one of the lounges, then before service, all the waiters file out of the service wearing black suits, white shirts/blouses and white gloves. The walk to their designated areas & ask which drink you would like. This is followed up by waiter service of assorted sandwiches and a selection of cakes.

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I went to a tea on the Celebrity Meridian. People were nicely dressed for that. They had little cakes and sandwiches without crust. Not much of a tea drinker though and I do not remember what I drank instead.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Trip

Forgot to say a selection of small sandwiches and small cakes as well as scones with cream and jam.

Oh Hal served an afternoon tea, no music and you had to make tea in a cup! At home when I make tea, I always make it in a pot and generally with loose tea.

I amused them on Azamara, when I selected my tea for my pot, I always selected an extra tea bag for the pot.

Annie
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Admiral

We haven't made tea with proper tea in a pot for years, we should!
Just remembered we had a sort of tea on Arcadia, the chocoholics tea, super tea from a pot.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Annie, I drink my tea very dark, and sometimes use 2 bags in a large cup.

Thanks for all the delish info....I think the reason, we never went, is because we are napping at tea time

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Snap - that is why I took extra teabags on Azamara. Darjeeling is very good black - requires no milk etc.

Annie
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I received a wonderful tea leaf diffuser a few years back which makes a great cup of tea. I keep it at work, and every now & then spoil myself with "afternoon tea" of a a couple of scones, some clotted cream & strawberry jam with real tea.
Everyone in the office is highly bemused by this - I think they are just jealous of my treat ;o)

Alan
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Admiral

I bet they are

I just hope you don't leave your desk unattended - where I worked the scones, jam etc would walk

Now the question is cream or jam first? I undertand Devon does it one way and Cornwall the other

Annie
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default Afternon tea

Hello everyone.

The real english afternoon tea is really a ceremony on Crystal.All other ships just have quick snack at 4 o'clock.

MTL
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I've had the tea service on Celebrity - where you must be dressed up more (no shorts) and on Princess where you can go in shorts. Princess always has music - a pianist or harpist ... and both have scones and little sandwiches. I'm not normally a tea drinker but do enjoy this. Now that I'm Elite on Princess, I can have it served in my cabin if I tell them 6 hours earlier, but I haven't done that and doubt I ever will. It's very nice to get all the special touches in the dining room with the white gloved waiters and you get to meet more of your fellow passengers.

Because it can be in shorts, it can be a spur of the moment thing which I find nice.

Don't remember if they had music on Celebrity - that's a few years ago, but suspect they did.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default t

When is LOW TEA?

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Ray,

Could Low Tea be when you're sick as a child and your mother brings you tea and toast. When I was young, whenever I was sick, Mother would bring me tea and lightly buttered toast. Of course only the finest Lipton Tea Bags were used (uhh, did I hear a"gasp" from those of you across the great pond?) We Colonials are so backward so we must be forgiven or so my niece and Sister in Law who are from the British Isles tell me. Actually, it's my understanding from my nieces that probably more folks in Great Britain drink coffee rather than tea these days (something that if true, I do find rather sad). My SIL ALWAYS uses a tea pot with tea leaves that I guess are cut.

Johnthed0g,

I guess this is a continuing controversy but I always knew the dish as Welsh Rarebit and it was frequently served when I was young (because Cheddar Cheese was then very cheap (as was salted cod in a box which now costs an arm and both legs). I had some real English Cheddar which is far more flavorful than ours but is also drier (more crumbly). I learned a few years ago on the TV Food Network (a TV network on this side that is all about cooking) that the dish actually was originally named Welsh Rabbit. But according to this chef, the name sounded rather boorish when the dish arrived in England so they "upgraded" it to Welsh Rarebit.

One last thing about tea that I never knew until a few years ago. For a number of years in this country "Sun Tea" was extremely popular. You just put some tea bags in a gallon jug (you could purchase jugs specifically for that purpose), fill the jug with water and set it in the sun on a warm sunny day for several hours until the tea was brewed to your liking. What nobody knew was that "brewing" the tea in such a manner was also an outstanding method of getting food poisoning. I never knew you could get food poisoning from tea but you certainly can. All brewed tea (for iced tea usually) should always be kept under refrigeration (or I would presume hot for hot tea) and never left out on the counter even indoors. By the way, Lipton bags contain (at least they used to) a combination of Pekoe, Orange Pekoe and Cut Black Tea and as a kid I always wondered why it didn't have an orange taste.

Todd
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Admiral

I had high tea on my Cunard cruise in 1973 .
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Admiral

I too am a tea lover, although I'm partial to just one plain brand, usually Orange Pekoe. I have tried all the flavours, but since i like my tea with milk and sugar, just plain will do for me.
I have tried High Tea on Princess, Celebrity and HAL. All were lovely, calm, quiet, sometimes with piano playing softly. Light sandwiches and delicious cream cakes and desserts were served. A nice treat if I can be dragged in from the pool around 3 pm!

donna
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Admiral

I enjoy a cup of black tea with honey and cream right around 3:00 pm. I also enjoy a cup of chamomile tea with nothing in it around 8:00 pm .

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Ray,

Could Low Tea be when you're sick as a child and your mother brings you tea and toast. When I was young, whenever I was sick, Mother would bring me tea and lightly buttered toast. Of course only the finest Lipton Tea Bags were used (uhh, did I hear a"gasp" from those of you across the great pond?) We Colonials are so backward so we must be forgiven or so my niece and Sister in Law who are from the British Isles tell me. Actually, it's my understanding from my nieces that probably more folks in Great Britain drink coffee rather than tea these days (something that if true, I do find rather sad). My SIL ALWAYS uses a tea pot with tea leaves that I guess are cut.

Johnthed0g,

I guess this is a continuing controversy but I always knew the dish as Welsh Rarebit and it was frequently served when I was young (because Cheddar Cheese was then very cheap (as was salted cod in a box which now costs an arm and both legs). I had some real English Cheddar which is far more flavorful than ours but is also drier (more crumbly). I learned a few years ago on the TV Food Network (a TV network on this side that is all about cooking) that the dish actually was originally named Welsh Rabbit. But according to this chef, the name sounded rather boorish when the dish arrived in England so they "upgraded" it to Welsh Rarebit.

One last thing about tea that I never knew until a few years ago. For a number of years in this country "Sun Tea" was extremely popular. You just put some tea bags in a gallon jug (you could purchase jugs specifically for that purpose), fill the jug with water and set it in the sun on a warm sunny day for several hours until the tea was brewed to your liking. What nobody knew was that "brewing" the tea in such a manner was also an outstanding method of getting food poisoning. I never knew you could get food poisoning from tea but you certainly can. All brewed tea (for iced tea usually) should always be kept under refrigeration (or I would presume hot for hot tea) and never left out on the counter even indoors. By the way, Lipton bags contain (at least they used to) a combination of Pekoe, Orange Pekoe and Cut Black Tea and as a kid I always wondered why it didn't have an orange taste.

Todd
Todd,

the English may serve toasted cheese at High Tea - my advice is don't try that north of the border! At an absolute min - Haddock and chips or a full salad with meat etc.

Annie
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:57 AM
Admiral

High tea would be a snack between lunch & dinner, as opposed to a fish supper!
All this stuff went out years ago in the real world, I would say that most families have both parents working, breakfast is as they all rush out the door, kid/s have school lunch or packed lunch, parents grab something on the run, tea..TEA forget that! still at work until 6pm, dinner (mostly called your tea) early evening on a tray in front of the TV.....bed.
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I love tea, and i always say oh yep on this cruise i am going to attend afternoon tea, but it just seems that unless i put it into the days plans something always comes up, it is definately on my next cruise to do list. Our mall has a great little tea store, i could spend hours in there browsing the different teas, oohhing and ahhhing over all the different tea pots, tea sets
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Admiral

I've posted previously, about how we never miss FREE food on a cruise, at least we never did in younger years.

I can't recall if this was on our honeymoon (Voyageur) or a later cruise on Grand Princess (I'm thinkign it was the latter) ... but we attended the high tea.

I love tea, but had never been to a high tea before. My DH is of British descent but does not drink hot beverages of any kind (no tea, coffee, hot chocoalte or soup).

We went to High Tea and the seated us at a table of older British women. When the waiter was coming around with the tea, my DH turned over his cup. The waiter offered to bring him coffee, but my DH ordered a COKE. Oh my God, the look on the faces of those women.

My MIL drank so much tea, I swear it flowed through her veins. We told his mom the story when we go back and she laughted hysterically; knowing my DH and that his grandmother was probbably rolling in her grave.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991