Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Default Can Anyone Recall A Recent Time ???

when the world was in so much chaos at the same time?..unstable situation in the Middle East, political volatilty in the Heart of the Midwest of Our Country..record length of high unemployment, record foreclosures ,killing of our elected officials etc...gas is creeping up to $4.00 a gallon for regular and the Cleveland Cavs beat the defending NBA world champions LA Lakers..I'm afraid to watch the news to see what's next

Thank God for Rush Limbaugh's timely commentary on the nutritional value of a 5 oz of portion of braised short rib ::as part of a nutrional diet (and who better to speak then he)

I've already started to cut back in terms of discretionary spending and for now, will not book any cruises beyond theValor (jazz cruise) this October

based on the world situation, have you cut back on any items ? how do you think the Mid East situation will play out ?
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Surely if everyone cuts back on discretionary spending, unemployment queues will lengthen?

For myself, as a Scot I consider myself to be canny, therfore no budget cuts are planned -def not on vacations If I don't spend my money, my family will just inherit it - much better to spend it!

Annie
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Pension reform :evil: might change my plans on spending!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; February 22nd, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Relax everyone, the world is ending on May 21st anyway (luckily after my Hawaiian vacation )

http://http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Surely if everyone cuts back on discretionary spending, unemployment queues will lengthen?

For myself, as a Scot I consider myself to be canny, therfore no budget cuts are planned -def not on vacations If I don't spend my money, my family will just inherit it - much better to spend it!

Annie
Unless one has suffered an income reduction, discretionary spending should never be cut. Why? The irrational reduction in spending will result in less job creation. It is the reason that Japan and other oriental countries have historically had a hard time coming out of recessions. Belt tightening during economic bad times is almost a religious principle in those countries. So unless you have less discretionary funds -- spend away!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
Relax everyone, the world is ending on May 21st anyway (luckily after my Hawaiian vacation )

http://http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html
Right!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Admiral

I think it is all a plot to weaken the West's economy, all these wars over nothing are to weaken the armed forces & drain economy's, the credit crunch is to weaken this further, then "they" will pounce.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Admiral

my cutbacks are in terms of reducing my magazine subsciption renewals from 20 to 10..using more coupons to eat out..1 book and 1 CD a month as oppose to every other week..basic cable instead of premium etc. not enought to upset the economy ::..spending less on presents for the GF
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
my cutbacks are in terms of reducing my magazine subsciption renewals from 20 to 10..using more coupons to eat out..1 book and 1 CD a month as oppose to every other week..basic cable instead of premium etc. not enought to upset the economy ::..spending less on presents for the GF
Multiply your modest cutbacks by a few million - you would be surprised at the effect. Reduced magazune subscription will have a knock-on effect on the advertising industry etc.

BTW I cancelled some subscriptions simply because I was not reading the magazines; the amount of special offers it has generated from the publisher is amazing. I think a lot of people are doing the same.

Annie
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Venice, the current state of affairs is a little dicey but nothing compared to the past...

...think of WWII in Europe or back to the Great War.

Civil War was most costly in terms of life in USA with many brothers fighting on opposing sides.

If you want to look at civil unrest, I think 1849 in Europe is probably closest comparison. Of course, if we go back to the Reign of Terror....

Bottom line: We live in interesting times but nowhere near the daunting times of the past.

Just my two cents/eurocents/yen

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Guess the Mayans figured the end of the world would be December 2012, but they probably just ran out of stone to write it on!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Don't worry!

Be happy!

I survived Vietnam, the rest is gravy.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
when the world was in so much chaos at the same time?..unstable situation in the Middle East, political volatilty in the Heart of the Midwest of Our Country..record length of high unemployment, record foreclosures ,killing of our elected officials etc...gas is creeping up to $4.00 a gallon for regular and the Cleveland Cavs beat the defending NBA world champions LA Lakers..I'm afraid to watch the news to see what's next

Thank God for Rush Limbaugh's timely commentary on the nutritional value of a 5 oz of portion of braised short rib ::as part of a nutrional diet (and who better to speak then he)

I've already started to cut back in terms of discretionary spending and for now, will not book any cruises beyond theValor (jazz cruise) this October

based on the world situation, have you cut back on any items ? how do you think the Mid East situation will play out ?

I never would have believed that in 2011 the Lakers would be beaten by the Cavaliers nor could I ever fathom Carmelo Anthony being a member of the New York Knickerbockers .What is this world coming to ? Will we survive ?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Captain

All I can say is Thank God for Spongebob Squarepants.
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Captain

No we have not cut back on anything not much has changed for us we are still working sure our house may not be worth as much as a year ago but we are not planning on selling it any way. As far as the rest of the world news is going we do not pay much attention to it There is also something going on in the news that can make you worry In my opion thats the way the news stations want it how many would watch the news if it was all happy go lucky stories? Let us not forget that news is a big buisness.I guees its nice to stay informed and all that stuff. But personally I do not like watching the news it depresses me and what good does it do to worry about everything any way what are you going to do about it.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Admiral

scary yet exciting times we live in

Henry..Carmelo is from New York City and remember he played his college ball at that "little school upstate that likes to wear Orange" so he is in fact coming home ...I project at the end of the season New Orleans Hornet's star guard Chris Paul (CP3 as us close friends like to call him), will be traded to the Knicks
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Admiral

About the only thing people are really worried most about aside from our own economy is the Mideast and that is mostly because of the oil situation.

Worst case scenario, if Mideast oil is greatly reduced, as to a trickle, etc. (i.e. closure of the Suez Canal combined with upheaval within the Mideastern bloc that shuts down drilling and pipeline transmission, etc.), you can bet the farm the West will act because such a situation would cause so much upheaval in the world economies that you don't want to go there. It is in NO ONE'S best interests (including Russia and China (especially China) to allow that to occur.

I don't think that will happen and in fact, I'm hoping and I believe, that many of these upheavals could result in a lot of positives eventually. Maybe I'm spitting into the wind but I am very cautiously optimistic. One demonstrator in Egypt even said they wanted religious freedom! Also remember that a lot of the upheaval is a result of people being better educated and understanding that their repressive regimes are their worst enemy, especially in metropolitan areas in Egypt, Iran, (especially Iran), Lybia and Saudi Arabia. Actually neither the good guys nor the bad guys want the oil to stop for any length of time at all because they're not fools, they know what that would entail. They also know that an extreme repressive religious regime (such as in Iran) is not what the people want. Even were the abominably repressive regime in Saudi Arabia (our "Ally"to be overthrown that country could not even begin to afford interrupting the supply of oil to any degree whatsoever. Why? Simply because you can't eat sand. Also always remember, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

We are, sadly, going to be stuck I'm afraid with easily $5 a gallon or more for motor fuel, heating oil, etc. Plus has anyone other than me noticed significant price increases in your area at Walmart?

I am concerned for those with private sector pensions but I don't believe (not that it couldn't happen, of course) those who are already retired on public service pensions will see a reduction. I am extremely lucky that I retired from New York State service as it has a fully funded pension (one of the top three in the country) even though the state is virtually bankrupt. All new employees regardless of what department, are already being required to contribute to their pensions and those within departments that used to be able to retire at 20-25 years with half pay are undoubtedly going to have to continue to work longer years. In order for my pension to be reduced, would require an actual change in the Constitution of the State of New York and that's not going to happen. California claims it too is fully funded BUT they're seriously playing with the numbers out there and most people don't know it.

HOWEVER, those of us on even secure fixed incomes (I have a COLA but it's insignificant) are still going to have to be very careful because no matter what happens in Washington, health care costs are going to continue to go up, the fuel situation, groceries, everything for the foreseeable future. So in fact, retired or otherwise, we're all in the same boat.

I also strongly agree that if you can continue to live within your means under such hardship please don't stop spending! It actually is the worst thing that could happen to our economic recovery.

Strangely, I haven't seen a post (maybe I've just missed it), on increased fuel surcharges on Cruises. Anybody heard anything?

Todd
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Todd

I hear Cunard is imposing fuel surcharges.

Annie
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
scary yet exciting times we live in

Henry..Carmelo is from New York City and remember he played his college ball at that "little school upstate that likes to wear Orange" so he is in fact coming home ...I project at the end of the season New Orleans Hornet's star guard Chris Paul (CP3 as us close friends like to call him), will be traded to the Knicks
Carmelo was born in Brooklyn but left at age 8 . He only played one year at the little upstate school but I was told he donated $3million to the scholarship fund .
For some reason many guys that I went to HS with decided to matriculated at Syracuse .In hindsight I wish I would have as well.

My gut feeling is that if DWill opts out of his time as a NET that Chris Paul may decide to sign with the Brooklyn Nets .
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Captain

Smile

I feel that internet and all of the advances in tecnologly has alot to do with all the unrest and happens in the middle east it is allowing people to be more organized and communacate better