Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Admiral

I am very much a "live and let live" kind of person. I am interested in all the topics, I read them all, but I don't usually post unless I feel I have something to contribute. I don't post on every thread just to see my numbers grow. I don't get offended even when the discussion gets lively. I do feel that any further "legislation" of our behaviour is unnecessary. We are adults and should be capable of acting as such. When someone crosses the line and is not respectful of others, that's the time to pull their post. Please, let's not take the "meat" out of the chit chat board. Let's live with the TOS we have and enforce them in a fair and intelligent manner. JMHO.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertcruzer View Post
I am very much a "live and let live" kind of person. I am interested in all the topics, I read them all, but I don't usually post unless I feel I have something to contribute. I don't post on every thread just to see my numbers grow. I don't get offended even when the discussion gets lively. I do feel that any further "legislation" of our behaviour is unnecessary. We are adults and should be capable of acting as such. When someone crosses the line and is not respectful of others, that's the time to pull their post. Please, let's not take the "meat" out of the chit chat board. Let's live with the TOS we have and enforce them in a fair and intelligent manner. JMHO.
I don't believe that anyone posts just to see their numbers grow .If that was the case then said persons would reply to every thread on CM . I for one post on topics that I am interested in .
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
Well, all I know is that I need a cruise. I am exhausted reading all of this.
xo
Suse - 100% agree.

Just a couple of other points:

1. I think it was Queen of Oakville who commented that dress codes can become heated. I am sure that applies to the some of the smoking,tipping threads as well. The religion and politics threads are timid and polite in comparison - jmho. Some of the posters would tolerate no dissent from their point of view. It has reached the stage, I daren't respond to some posters. I notice that one or two of them are conspicuous by their absence in this thread BTW.

2. As Venice's mum says it's not what you say, it is how you say it - so true.

Time to take another break from CM me thinks,

Annie
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have enjoyed going through this thread and reading all the different views.

I think the key is personal responsibility.

I have been a CMer for many years now, and I remember not to long ago when the word God was not so much a no no, but guarded. People would say "Oh, she mentioned the 3 letter word.

I don't think this is the place for threads encouraging one to believe what they believe, but I do think that it is important to be able to say things like prayer, God, and faith in the general discussion. My faith should come from my everyday words about life in gereral, and if someone wants to know what keeps me going, then a PM would be in order, and that could be done in private.

As far as politics goes, that is a hot one. It also comes down to personal responsiblity. It is also a time when you would have to tell yourself if posting on a hot thread would help or hurt.

I am also like many others, Paul. It is up to you how you want things to go. I will abide by whatever the rules are.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Louann - thanks for weighing in. I do appreciate your comments and understand what you are sayong.

Annie.... This is so true...

Quote:
it's not what you say, it is how you say it
So, what I am trying to avoid is people who get so embroiled in a controversy here in our boards that it affects their personal lives. I think our boards should be light and fun.

But I am confused why you would say its time to take a break from CM? Because of what I proposed, or other things?
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Paul,

The tone of some CMs is almost 'my way' or 'no way' in some threads. I find that uncomfortable. I know I am not alone. So I take a break for as long as I feel necessary.

On reflection, I find it strange that the subjects of politics and religion are singled out for special attention. These threads are not TOS IMHO.

For a non-American, who can remember every Presidential election since 1960, och I was but a bairn, I find the political views expressed here very interesting and fascinating. 1960 was the same year I became a Wimbledon geek too.

I will never give CM a total break but I will be very selective in my posting. I am not a novice traveller but a novice cruiser so I can't contribute much.

Annie
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiral

I also believe that Cruisemates should be kept light and fun.

There are many venues to discuss politics and religion is a private matter.

I do plant to stick with Cruisemates no matter what the rules are. I respect the people who run these threads and I respect the opinions of all the Cruismates.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4--4-16
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have a funny story to tell that happened to me this week, that involved politics and religion. I want to tell it, but would be afraid that something funny, might turn into something bad, so I will tell it here, so Paul can hit the delete button.

I was standing in the laundry room of the Holiday Inn-Universal in Orlando. I was folding clothes, when I said hello to a man and his wife who was also there. He said he was from Norway.

He suddenly looked at me with a funny expression on his face and said, 'What is wrong with your president?" I thought something had happened to him, so I said ' what happened?' He said "no no he is alright, but he is crazy." I spent the next ten minutes letting him tell me what our president was doing wrong. My hubby Jim was involved, not because he was there, but because I realized I was holding his underwear as the man spoke.

After the man got tired and ran out of words, I looked to the Heavens, and said "Thank you God for a man with limited English"

See Religion, and politics all in one thread, and no one got hurt.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Annie - I am now confused at how we offended thee? Because I brought up this topic?

I was just asking for input.

I think people may have missed my original point, as Manuel just reiterated, that there are so many topics to talk about that I dont understand why so many devolve into arguments.

I envision a cruise dining room. How often do conversations there broach topics that are likely to become heated - not often, because in real life we have a sociatal rule that we avoid politics & religion.

But I know those topics come up sometimes - but how often to they become arguments as they do here? Almost never.

I just want people to be more civil here, and I am exploring the basic societal rule that politics and religion are off base is a good place to start.

I don't mind Louann's story, because she didn't say what the foreigner said. But if she had, I imagine the thread could have gone a completely different direction.

I have to say - we have some British people (and Annie, I did not know you were not American, I have a tendency not to look at the names of people posting) - who are more outspoken than many Americans, and others who I am sure think we Americans are crass. I am just saying it is funny how the Brits seem to go to one extreme or the other.
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Captain

Smile

lEveryone calm down now
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Straight off, Paul you have not offended me.

On reflection, I am surprised that the subjects of politics and religion were raised. I have read statements of fact on the above subject but that is all.

I am surprised at the lack of moderation in certain areas. Rude and offensive comments are described as banter.

Certain Cmers have been banned and other CMers gloat - I wonder if they were set up and that offends ne,

A funny story to finish on, during dinner at a large table on the Az Journey, a German commented that he thought I spoke very good English.
The rest of table including New Yorkers looked askance and were about to intervene on my behalf. I think some of my fellow diners expected me to explode. The English spoken by our German diner was very poor.

I smiled sweetly and said I think I need to translate here - he is surprised he understands my Scottish accent. He said that is correct but the New Yorkers intervened and said but you are Irish. Everyone laughed.

No I am 2nd generation Scots of Irish stock. Both accents are very similar.

To say again, you have not offended me Paul but maybe I am surprised at what offends or does not offend other Cmers.

Annie
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Annie - I think you are starting to get my point. We don't like to have to moderate, we prefer that people abide by the rules in the first place. We also have rules about "personal attacks."

We often have to make a judgement call - a little banter is not what we like to see but it didn't escalate. Its the long, non-stop disagreements that get out iof hand that we worry about.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Admiral

We must keep in mind that this is CruiseMates.

Let the news media discuss politics.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Yes, but this is the CHIT CHAT board. I think there is no issue about staying on topic elsewhere, but this forum is described as:

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for what's on your mind. Feel free to say it here.

To me - that means - anythng goes.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Yes, but this is the CHIT CHAT board. I think there is no issue about staying on topic elsewhere, but this forum is described as:

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for what's on your mind. Feel free to say it here.

To me - that means - anythng goes.
However ,I am trying not to get into serious debate
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:38 AM
Captain

I have yet to encounter Charlie Sheen or Muhammar Khadafi -or anyone of like mind- on this or any other Cruise-related bulletin board. If you see something that gets youre whities all in a bundle, you need to seriously chill out already. I find moderators overbearing on most boards. If you "need" to moderate to keep a place real, it aint real. Its just an illusion. Just my two cent's worth.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I have yet to encounter Charlie Sheen or Muhammar Khadafi -or anyone of like mind- on this or any other Cruise-related bulletin board.
.Maybe they post here under diferent names. ------

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry, have to disagree on that one - Most boards are over-moderated, maybe, but there are plenty of unmoderated message boards (most of them belonging to newspapers with political content) and they are an absolute mess.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Admiral

I think there is a big difference between debate and discussion.

I have no interest in participating in a debate. However, I find there is a lot to learn from discussion. I enjoy reading other's opinions on a variety of topices. You'lll note that I often don't post on those threads, but I read and learn. It's not like we have hundreds of non-cruise discussions here. But when they occur; people generally have something of value to contribute, and I enjoy reading the various perspectives.

I really dont' think we're in any danger of CHIT CHAT turning into a debate forum; heck most of the stuff we discuss here is fluff. My piont is, that should we EVER want to discuss topics of substance .... it should not be prohibitted.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default OBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
.Maybe they post here under diferent names. ------

TM
I think its more likely that OBL may post here
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Captain

There is a big big difference between "needing" to moderate and just doing the job. Its the "needing" part that makes a place phony. The moment you remove a valid point just because it bugs someone (or worse, might POTENTIALLY bug someone), you might as well write all the content yourselves.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Captain

Henry43> Yeah, with weapons of mass distraction.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

With all due respect - This is meant to be a serious discussion for the people who know our site. We are talking about reality here, not about how an ideal world should work.

So, I am closing this thread since I think we have already received all of the useful replies we requested. Thank you all for helping out!
Closed Thread