Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default No Politics or Religion?

I have found a message board for musicians I like a lot that has a policy of "No Politics or Religion" as topics for discussion.

I have to say I really do not like seeing threads go down the road of discussing "race" and other political hot-buttons. We all know there are problems in the world but why discuss them here?

I cannot help wondering if we would do better on this board if we prohibited certain discussions solely because they are known to be irresolvable (here, anyway) and that they almost always create bad feelings between people.

Would you leave CruiseMates if we banned topics that discuss religion and politics? Even better - could you voluntarily agree to stay away from topics?

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Great idea - I have often thought so myself and I think I made a post once on that subject.

I could very happily stay away from both subjects. Maybe easier for myself as I am not American and this is primarily a NA board.

However would race be covered by politics?

Annie
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Admiral

"No" to the first. "Yes" to the second.

Maybe you might wish to consider a Forum devoted not to race, politics per se` or religion, but that does address world events and situations as well as different ideas that may or may not be somewhat controversial as long as the posts weren't inflammatory or irascible. Don't know if it would work but it's only a suggestion.

Todd
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In this board I am referring to I heard stories about another message board that tried an "anything goes" area and it created bad feelings between people that lasted for years. I dont think we need that.

I think the point is that there are already plenty of places you can go to rant - why should we be another one?

I want to hear more opinions on this. It does seem a little extreme, but the fact is that people care far more about being political correct when they know there are consequences if they break the rules. And I find you can still have great discussions without getting accusatory.

Old February 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Good enough, Paul,

Todd
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Admiral

regular consistent posters on this board show a great amount of restraint and respect when it comes to the topics in question, because we understand the intent of the originator of the post (no meaness) ..the problem is that there are alot of lurkers that strike a post design to stir up crap and then run which has a negative effect..therefore I don't have any heartburn if you want to go that route of voluntary restriction, just don't ban Katlady's ability to post near naked pictures of her beloved soccer players and my beloved Victoria Secret swimsuit models in Brazilian cut thong bikinis
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice - point well taken.

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Paul, I know my opinions and thoughts are never wrong and I just have to suffer those who don't see that I'm always right !!

Seriously having been here since Sept. of 2000, I would not voluntarily leave the board over any rules or restrictions you may choose to put in place. And too, I would try my best to avoid any topics you deemed as off limits.

I know from time to time it seems things get a little heated but then again, writing is not quite like sitting face to face and having a discussion with someone over a particular subject. What may not at all come across in personal conversation as a major disagreement may seem that way when we discuss it via the inter-net. I have read some of the other boards and can honestly say, whether everyone on this site agrees all the time or not, this is by far the best and most civil board out there.
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Paul,
Ban,the posters that post just to stir up cr@p!
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Admiral

If the policy was applied to all posters then I have no issue. I don't tend to say to much on those topics. I did enter the Somilia discussion, but then lost focus and forgot to check back. I don't like circular agruments and repeating myself. So these discusions to me are pointless. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. I may lie and say you did just to leave the thread with good feelings all around. I can disagree with you and still like and respect you. I like and respect ToddDH I just disagree with him regarding somila.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am just truly personally disappointed that when there are so many fun topics to talk about - and this is an OPEN BOARD -- that we seem to have so many conversation devolve into what seem to be personal confrontations.

I would like to see Chit Chat opened up where people ask each other for advice on life - like....
  • Should I buy this car?
  • What's a good watchdog?
  • What's a good gift for my wife/husband?
  • Who deserves the Oscar?
Maybe we should change the name to "Advice on Life from our Gang"

Is that better than "Chit-Chat?"

BTW: I thought up the name chit chat a long time ago just because I thought it was a good way of saying "just passing the time with conversation" - It was never meant to be "solving the world's problems"

BTW2: I am in agreement with asking some of the more reptilian posters to leave.

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Default No Politics or Religion?

Paul, re BTW2: why?

Judy
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Why?

By reptilian I meant the ones with reactionary brains who don't think before they post. There are very few of them, but some people just don't think about how their posts might affect someone else's sensibilities.

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Paul, I plan to stay on this board no matter what rules are imposed.

I don't think that there is any need for politics or religion to be discussed on Cruisemates.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Admiral

The problem with a complete ban on politics on CM is that cruising is affected by world events....ie politics. The discussions on pirates and the unrest in the middle east affect cruising itineraries and ultimately a cruiser's decision about taking a cruise. The current world events and politics sometimes go hand-in-hand here.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Would you leave CruiseMates if we banned topics that discuss religion and politics? Even better - could you voluntarily agree to stay away from topics?
There are not very many subjects in which politics and/or religion do not play a tangential role. By way of example, the turmoil affecting cruises to Egypt, the termination of waivers for the Delta Queen, potential changes to the provisions of the Passenger Services Act and other laws that affect cruises and cruise itineriaries, the Somali pirates potentially targeting cruise ships are inherently political problems. Cruises that go to Rome and to the Holy Land, among other destinations, are visiting religious sites, and there's also bound to be some interest in cruise lines' policies with regard to offering religious services onboard or making information about nearby services available in ports of call. Some discussion of the such religious and political issues is both inevitable and appropriate.

But if you want to contain discussion of raw politics and raw religion, the best approach probably would be to add a "CruiseMates Community" section with boards for those subjects, and any other areas of special interest, and restrict those subjects to the respective boards. That way, each of us can read and post, lurk, or ignore those boards as we see fit.

Norm.
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
But if you want to contain discussion of raw politics and raw religion, the best approach probably would be to add a "CruiseMates Community" section with boards for those subjects, and any other areas of special interest, and restrict those subjects to the respective boards. That way, each of us can read and post, lurk, or ignore those boards as we see fit.
Unfortunately, I think establishing yet another board, which allowed such discussions to head in any direction, it would be like opening a "shooting gallery".

People can and do sometimes have very strong feelings on the issues of politics and religion. And those are certainly ok and justifiable. But I frankly don't think appropriate for our message boards.

With the anonymous nature of internet message boards there are also just too many folks who enjoy just instigating, in hopes of creating a train wreck, and being able to sit back and watch the melee.

There are just so many places on the net to serve those who want to discuss politics or religion, imho it makes little sense to bring them here.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I have found a message board for musicians I like a lot that has a policy of "No Politics or Religion" as topics for discussion.

I have to say I really do not like seeing threads go down the road of discussing "race" and other political hot-buttons. We all know there are problems in the world but why discuss them here?

I cannot help wondering if we would do better on this board if we prohibited certain discussions solely because they are known to be irresolvable (here, anyway) and that they almost always create bad feelings between people.

I personally have no problem with a non political and non religion/race stipulation .However ,there have been threads and posts removed from this board over the past few months that are very similiar to posts and threads from 2000 and 2001 that are still here .
Secondly in my opinion I believe that the Administrators of a message board should notify a person that her or his posts/threads are being removed rather than just removing them .
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Admiral

they usually do with a "pm" as to why
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
they usually do with a "pm" as to why

I've never been PM'd . I on the other hand PM'd one of the CM staff with the suggestion that one of my posts be removed because it could give one the impression that I was trying to sell copies of my book .
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Admiral

I don't have a problem with people talking politics or religion. If I don't like something, or disagree with something, I just keep my mouth shut and move on to the next post.
I don't think anything would keep me away from CruiseMates, this is my "home", you guys are my friends, and I love our daily "chats", whatever the subject!

donna
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Admiral

I pretty much agree with Donna (again). When I see a thread that's going down the political/religion path, I simply move on, and ignore it. I must admit that I got involved in a couple of threads in the past, and it made for bad feelings, so now I've learned my lesson. If you make new rules, it won't affect me one way or the other. I'll still be here with all my GREAT CruiseMates friends.

"SKY"
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Captain

Smile no more

I agree with you Paul. I Have not been around on this message board for very long but I feel no more religon or politices would be just fine.The reason I started visting this site was because my wife and I booked are first cruise and thought it would be a good place to pick up on the cruising scene and learn a few things(which by the way this website has been very helpful thanks to everyone) I think if I wanted to talk politics or religon there would plenty of other web places to go after all it is called cruisemates not religousmates!
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Admiral

I too have been caught up in unpleasant threads - not necessarily to do with politics or religion - and I have felt that I have been preached/lectured at times.

When that happens, I add the poster to my Ignore List and go on my merry way.

Annie
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Admiral

I have found other places to discuss or dabble in both of those subjects. I don't have any problem with them being banned around here. I still would come here for the info on cruising, and keeping up with the friends I've made on this site.

Phyll
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
I don't think anything would keep me away from CruiseMates, this is my "home", you guys are my friends, and I love our daily "chats", whatever the subject!

donna
I feel exactly the same way!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
First Mate

To a certain extent, I believe we would all do well to agree to disagree. I don't think you are going to change a person's mindset on a chat thread. Whatever, I will still be here and usually ignore these threads and move on to the next post.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I welcome all input...

Rev: the thing is that with this "no politics or religion" stipulation it is still possible to discuss facts without crossing over into opinion. That is where we always get into trouble, if you notice, is that someone strongly disagrees with someone else's opinion and they feel the need to comment on it.

Henry - being perfectly honest, as much as I would like to send a PM everytime I have to moderate, if I did that I spend every day doing nothing but justifying my actions to people.

There is a reason why policemen are known to say "Tell it to the judge" - because both jobs; policemen and judges, are full-time jobs.

I just figure that if you see something moderated you will have a pretty good idea why it is so.

However - we could also use a "point" system where a person who has to be moderated gets an "infraction" point - and so many points add up to being banned for a few days, more points = longer bannings. I have seen boards where this helps people understand the consequences of their actions.

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Some thoughts from a newbie.

One of the things I love most about message boards, is that there is a flow of conversation just like if we were gathered around a table with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in hand.

Especially on chit-chat, I think we should be able to freely talk about anything and act responsibly. I realize that is difficult from some.

Maybe ban politics and religion on the cruise thread, but I think anything should be fair game here. I know it may create more work for the mods, so it should be up to them to decide.

I generally don't post about religion or politics; but I've seen recently how some threads have gone to those discussions; including race. I've seen some racially motivated posting here (which offended me ~ but no one else seemed to comment, so I just let it slide). I've also seen some non-racially motivated posting here, which has had people up in arms. There is a term on message boards SOB (Scroll-on-by) which I tend to practice.

I think the very premise of chit-chat should allow us to speak on any topic. It's up to us to act like adults. maybe some verbiage in the TOS would give the moderators the power to ban people or put them on probation for not acting like adults.

For what its worth, I find this board to be exceptionally well-behaved. I've seen some major child-like posting on other boards which has me scratching my head.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would say the VAST MAJORITY of visitors and people who post to the site actually know when they are "cruising the line"; particularly all of our regulars.

On occassion they may get a "wired up" and knowingly cross that line, or occassionally might inadvertantly include a word, phrase or sentence that if they looked at it again, they might not have included.

The VAST MAJORITY of our posters need no moderation at all. The cases where people post just to instigate or "light a fire" under other posters are normally the problems. Along the way, we've even had "regulars" who liked to push the envelope, and they know when they are doing it.... and in most cases an email notification does no good, and is just challenged to get us to waste our time trying to validate our viewpoint.

For a site this size, CruiseMates has very little "staff" on the message boards, and it puts much more unneccesary and additional responsibility on them to notify every time a post is deleted.

Though they are rarely deleted, I firmly believe the people posting already know exactly why their post was deleted.

And the amount of time wasted email notifications to drive by posters would add to the workload of the staff, while serving no functional purpose.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Closed Thread