Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday Morning

Morning Mates, it's Saturday, and that's about the only good thing today, because I don't have to go anywhere.
We have been hit by another "Weather Event", and have gone from spring like temperatures and heavy rain yesterday, to freezing temperatures and blizzard like conditions this morning.
Last night it was +7 with rain and flooding everywhere, then overnight a "flash freeze" and everything is ice covered topped with blowing snow, and a windchill of -17. Will it ever end?

Looks like a good day to curl up with a good book and relax, which is fine with me, since I have been fighting the "creeping crud" (as Beenie Weenie so aptly puts it) for 2 days. Not exactly a cold yet, just respiratory problems, sore throat, tickly cough, and just generally feeling rotten. :neutral:

Hope you all have a much better day, health wise and weather wise!

donna
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Good Afternoon Donna and those who follow

RD - I hope you feel better soon!

My side of the pond - the weather is sunny,clear blue skies and 50F. Yes this is Scotland in Feb.

Well my nephews managed to move the old sofas out. I wish I had not ordered the new sofas - I like just having chairs!

South America won over the Azamara cruise.

My sister is due to return from New Zealand tomorrow; one of her sons commented yesterday that Indiana Jones would have been proud of her near miss in Christchurch.

Have a good weekend.

Annie
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Feeling the beginnings of a weather system that's starting in the Pacific and will apparently spend the entire week crossing the country.

Though we're leaving Arizona today to catch the ship; we're headed to LA... where it's apparently pouring rain.

I'm guessing our first day or so out of San Pedro will be a bit of a rough ride, with some cool weather.

Beginning late tonight I'll be sending in daily stories, so watch for the Virtual Cruise later.
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Good morning Donna and Annie and all who follow.

A crisp Sunny morning here in upper East Tennessee this morning.

Hope Beenie Weenie felt up to celebrating her birthday yesterday. If she says she's in her late forties then I'm about 75.

Hang in there Donna the weather will change! Of course it will probably be around August......

Speaking of not looking your age, unlike with a woman, you tell that to a man and you'll probably receive a wierd look. A quite elderly woman from a local church stopped by yesterday afternoon passing out literature. She said she was usually met at the door by a nice woman and I explained that had been my wife. She looks at me and said, "Aren't you the man that writes the column in Saturday's paper." I said I was. She said, You look so much younger than that picture I didn't recognize you. That picture is 17 years old! Thank God her husband is the one that drives!

Everyone around here has had the flu or flu-like illnesses. I wanted to arise with "vim and vigor" and get to work big time on the house etc. This morning I awoke with "yuck and jello" instead. Don't think it's anything major but merely I got up too early. At least I can hope that's the case.

Great news on the cruise, Sky!

Wish everyone has a grand weekend and prayers for all who are on the list plus a request for multitudinous Blessings on all!

Todd
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Good morning all.
RD, I hope it isn't long before you are writing again about how beautiful it is, and all the fun things you are doing in your area. Take care, and use the bad weather as time to rest and feel better.

It's another postcard perfect day around here. Too bad Jake has to work on the taxes, but at least the condo pool is close by.

Bon Voyage Kuki. Have a great cruise.

Phyll
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Default Saturday Morning

Good morning! It rained like everything last night. The sun is shining right now and everything looks really clean. Keith will get a safe ride to Riverside this morning.

The radiololgist gave me a clean slate yesterday and said that I have healed well from the mastectomy in 08. I am on the so-called five-year plan for a cancer preventative in the form of a pill. Every six months I have an infusion called Zometa as another preventative. The doctor said that the further out from the surgery date I get, the less chance there is of a recurrence. I am thankful that it's so far, so good.

I hope everbody has a good day. Bon Voyage to all the cruisers.

Judy

Old February 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sunny and high 60s today in NW GA.

We look like "rednecks" for sure here. Thursday night we had high winds that blew the top out of a tree and it took down the cable/internet and the phone lines. Jim hooked the cable back up with bungee cords.

We also have a sofa on our back deck. We could not get it out the front door, so back up the steps we went. Now we have to figure out how to get it off the deck, I suggested a chain saw.

Jim picked up the new recliners yesterday and after we finally got one of them up the steps he realized both had the same part number. We got 2 of the ones I liked and not the one he wanted, so off we go to get the correct one.

Hope everyone has a better day today.

Brenda
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Morning. It's sunny here for a change. We have had clouds or rain for what seems like forever. The sun is a one day event though as we are supposed ot have thunderstorms again tommorow evening.

Had a bad day yesterday. I became my elderly dad's guardian/caregiver about a month ago. It's been going well other than the red tape. Been very busy. Decided ot take a little "time off" and not do anything other than what was a have to case for a day or two. Dad is actually easy to take care of. After I got the household chores done and him settled, I started reading. Not read in a month. Then I made the mistake of sleeping late and just relaxing. This downtime has given the grief time to set in and express itself. Dad has diabetes, neuropathy, heart disease, and is in the latter stages of dementia. It's killing me to see him slowly dying. Wondering if any of you have had the experiene?

I hope the weather clears for all very soon, and I hope you all feel better, too. I think I'll feel better when spring gets here to stay, although I hate our summers. Have a nice Saturday all.
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Admiral

GGood morning mates
We are enjoying a nice sunny day, but snow is on it's way for tomorrow.

Donna, take care of yourself. You need to be feeling your best soon so you could enjoy your trip to Cuba.

Kuki and and all the cruisemates going along, I hope that you all have a wonderful cruise.

Have a great weekend folks.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme

It's Saturday morning and the Sapphire is parked across the street and waiting for us! Sail away day is finally here.

Let the party begin!!!
Aloha!
Marianne
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Happy Saturday all you nice people!!

Fourth day on duty as Nurse Doug, however Marj is recovering well from one of the nastiest colds I have seen. She is not a good patient as she doesn't like my remedies most of which start, "Pour two jiggers of dark rum..."

Took our year old dog Olivia to the vet for shots so I can get her licence renewed, the other two have two years left on their rabies shot. She was not a happy puppy.

Looks like Congress will pass a two week funding bill which means I will get to work for another 3 weeks which means we will at least get March's mortgage paid.

Hope everyone has a great day!

St Lawrence Gap, Barbados

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Happy Cruise day to those on their way today .

Its sunny but chilly here ,counting the days till spring
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Moiraine,

My heart truly goes out to you. What you are doing is magnificent but so very difficult. I am so thankful that Fran didn't have a long drawn out end but just knowing that he won't get better makes things so worse.

I hope that you can at least find someone to give you a "break" for instance a close friend or better yet a close relative at least every now and then because you'll absolutely need it.

Is Hospice a possibility?

In any event, God Bless both you and your father, you will be in my prayers.

Maryanne, CONGRATULATIONS!

Judy, what wonderful wonderful news! Bet you're on cloud nine for a week! Now get out and celebrate!

Manuel, I think (and I pray) we're past the snow period down here but then again, the worst snows I've ever experienced both here and in New York were in March so it's with fingers crossed!

Brenda, GOOD LUCK! Been there, done that.

Todd
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Captain

Good Late afternoon from an overcast Southern Ohio. At least the rain has stopped. Every now and then I see a peak of sun but it doesn't last long.
Been a busy morning here. Cleaned house a little bit and got the laundry caught up. Checked on Mom to make sure she was up and had everything she needed. Made a run to the grocery because if the big bad wolf had come by he would have to have brought his own food....cupboards were bare. They are now restocked and good for at least another week.
D/H is meeting with the gentleman who is buying his business to get things in order. If all goes well in 4 wks I will be living with a retired man! I have my honey do lists ready! I'm sure golf will be on the top of his list, I'll let him have a little time to do that.
Everyone have a great rest of the day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Moraine, I have said for a long time, caregivers are angels, so bless you. My Mother did not go gentle into that good night,so I understand how you are feeling....Cruisemates have big shoulders, so we are here to listen and support you...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
Morning. It's sunny here for a change. We have had clouds or rain for what seems like forever. The sun is a one day event though as we are supposed ot have thunderstorms again tommorow evening.

Had a bad day yesterday. I became my elderly dad's guardian/caregiver about a month ago. It's been going well other than the red tape. Been very busy. Decided ot take a little "time off" and not do anything other than what was a have to case for a day or two. Dad is actually easy to take care of. After I got the household chores done and him settled, I started reading. Not read in a month. Then I made the mistake of sleeping late and just relaxing. This downtime has given the grief time to set in and express itself. Dad has diabetes, neuropathy, heart disease, and is in the latter stages of dementia. It's killing me to see him slowly dying. Wondering if any of you have had the experiene?

I hope the weather clears for all very soon, and I hope you all feel better, too. I think I'll feel better when spring gets here to stay, although I hate our summers. Have a nice Saturday all.
Moiraine, yes, I've been through similar with both of my parents. Bless your heart, it's really hard . The only help I can give you is to let other people help you. Ask a friend (or Hospice) to stay with your Dad for an afternoon so you can go out. If you believe in prayer, ask for prayer's for both of you. I'll be sending them,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Thank you Todd, Trip, and Fern. I am sorry for your losses, but it helps to know that I am not alone in this. My brother, mother, aunts, uncles, and cousins all live a couple hours away. My bff lives a bit farther. I have my companion that helps as much as he can but he works 50 and 60 hours a week and has responsibilities to his family, too. We try to spare our 17 year old as much as possible, although she does get called on to babysit while we do the weekly shopping.

I have been busy with jumping through hoops and swimming in red tape lately. Think I have a lot of it finished, maybe. DHS offers a program called Elder Care that I hope to sign up for soon. If approved, it automatically qualifies people for a number of services like Meals on Wheels, in home aides and such. I've got a good routine going right now, but I know before it's over that I'll probably need hospice or some other type service because I won't be able to do it all by myself. For now, I would be happy having meals on wheels and someone to maybe vacuum and clean the kitchen once a week. I myself cope with chronic illness, so any help with household chores will be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you for your compassion. It is terrible to see a loved one wither right before your eyes.
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Moiraine, my prayers are with you. You are doing a beautiful thing, and it has to be heart wrenching to see your dad hurting so much. There are a lot of folks around here who have been through things like that, and I know you will get lots of support and encouragment from them.

Judy, I'm so happy to read your good news. We need that little dancing character that we used to have around here to jump and dance for joy.

Phyll