Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Default Monday Freezing Monday!

Morning Mates, from a frigidly cold Caribou River. Beautiful sunshine for a change, but COLD at -16C. More snow n the way later in the day too....

Well, how did everyone enjoy the Oscars? I didn't care so much who won because I never saw any of the movies, but I thought Ann Hathaway was delightful and James Franco funny, but a bit wooden.
And kudos to Kirk Douglas for his valiant appearance and humour!

I probably shouldn't be going to work today since I am still suffering from this miserable cold, but as it's only 3 hours, I guess I can do it.
I would like to say though, that that "internet remedy" of putting Vicks Vapo Rub on the bottom of your feet, then some socks before you go to bed....
actually works! I had the best, uninterrupted night's sleep - no coughing and could actually breathe! I think I'm going to re-coat my feet and wear it all day!

donna
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Captain

A wet good morning to all. What a storm we had earlier this morning, high winds, rain and I think I even heard a little hail hitting the windows. We were under a tornado watch until 8am so that has passed and the rain seems to be letting up a little. Due to have rain most of the day as this storm passes through. It is heading east so get ready.
This is the start of a very busy week for me and D/H. We took about 8 wks off from his square dance calling and it starts back tonight. 4 dances this week alone so we will be on the road quite a bit. Of course these gas prices are not making it easy for us. Cuts into any profit we make on the dances. Oh well, that's life and they are saying the prices are going to get higher.
RD, so sorry you are under the weather. Glad the Vicks worked and you managed to get some sleep.

Everyone have a safe day and stay dry.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a sunny Texas. We are having high temps lately, and even turned on the air last night, due to the humidity.

I didn't watch the Oscars last night. I had so much on Tivo that I spent the night, watching what I missed while we were gone. We even watched the race that we went to last week in Daytona. The track is so big that you can't see everything, so it was fun to go back and watch.

Today is catch up day for me. Although Josh did a good job on keeping the house going, he didn't wash floors and bathrooms, so that is on my list.

I had forgotten to stop the newspaper while we were gone, so I spent most of yesterday, getting caught up on what was happening here, while we were gone.

I hope all of you have a good day.

Donna, Get to feeling better soon.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Morning all. Was sitting here reading last night about 11:00 when I heard this loud roar. We were under a tornado watch at the time. Although it was doing nothing at the time, I thought a tornado was about to hit and braced for impact. Got what felt like an earth belch instead. Looked over into the kitchen and saw my hanging mugs swaying. It turned out to be a 4.7 magnitude earthquake. I live about 15 or 20 miles from the epicenter. There have been hundreds of small quakes in two small communities out in the county this past year but this is the first one felt here in town. I was asleep for the aftershock.
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Good morning
Ice, Ice, BabyÖ.. Itís a very slippery day here in the city. Frozen rain fell most of the night and everything is covered in a sheet of ice. Hopefully the sun will come out shortly and melt it away. Off later to do some shoe shopping and pick up a birthday present for D/S birthday on the 4th. Not much else going on here.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Good morning all!!! Working from home today so I can get a major project done with no interruptions.

Marj is better and went to work so Nurse Doug is off duty.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Golden Gate Bridge from Alcatraz Island

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates

We are having an icy morning, but the temp. is going up so it will be a very rainy day.

I hope that you all have a nice week.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates,
Sue we got the same storms that rolled through here last night on the way to you in Ohio. We didn't seem to get hit too hard by it here, and the worst of it was over by bedtime. However those south and east of us got the brunt of it I think. Hope Todd didn't get hit too badly by it.

I feel like I have been going non-stop. It has been busy, busy, busy. I would really like to take a break soon. I have basically put off any vacations until we get the 5th wheel sold. I've had a few nibbles, but no one has bought it yet. This economy is so soft, it is hard to sell large ticket items unless you are giving them away. I know it will sell eventually, it will just take time. If anyone is looking for a beautiful late model RV that has been well maintained and looks like it is brand new, let me know lol.

The boy is awake and I have no idea when the girl will wake up. She had a sleepover the night before last and I heard they stayed up pretty late and she was definitely cranky and testing my patience last night. I normally try to get them up by a specific time in the morning, but I think today, I may let her get some extra sleep. They had a great time yesterday after church. The youth group had a pizza party and watched the 10 Commandments. We had a very hard time explaining that the film was not made during the actual biblical times. and that Charlton Heston really isn't Moses and Yul Brynner really wasn't Ramses etc... Herb Alpert did play a musician in the movie but he was more well known for his Tijuana Brass than his role as a Hebrew drummer... To the kids, 1956 seems like it was a 1000 years ago. They had a great time though.

For today, I have several things I need to get a handle on. Bills to pay (that never ends, darn it), and all sorts of other stuff to get done. Hope you all have a great week!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Good morning all! I'm glad RD that you got some relief. I too am going to remember that Vicks under socks recipe. Sounds delicious

It's currently around 65 here in our area of upper East Tennessee with the storms that you got last night Sue, coming through like a freight train sometime early this afternoon.

When it begins to hit I'll unplub my computer (I already have unplugged my new one which I haven't even had but one side since Fran died. It still sits on the kitchen table. There's still so much I have to learn about it.

We are destined to get a lot of lightning and high winds so better safe than sorry. We are also under a tornado watch. Spring is definitely arriving!

Still have no idea what movie won Best Picture, I hope it was The King's Speech as I would like to see that one if at all possible.

Well, I get's it's close to "batten down the hatches time" and it should be a good day for cleaning, laundry, etc.

I don't know where you are Moiraine, but we too live on a fault line and I remember a very minor albeit noticeable quake one morning about four or five years ago. I inquired about earthquake insurance as a friend of mine with State Farm has had it for years and pays about 98 bucks a year. They quoted me (I also have State Farm) 665 dollars a year so I took a pass.

Hope everyone has a safe and pleasant Monday and of course Prayers for all on the list and a request for Blessings upon all my beloved Cruisemates continue.

BTW, It's getting darker and I hear some ominous rumblings in the distance. Gues the edge of the storm might arrive a bit early. Don't you wish airplanes did as well!

Todd

Wishing everyone a good and safe
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Since the skim coat of snow the other day, & with no sun since, the snow is still on all the trees. Clean up after it's all said and done, will be messy. I am not going anywhere, so..bring it on

Short and sweet today...my highlight might be reading Kuki's Hawaiin blog...Calgon, Take me away!!

Make it a good one...feel better RD.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning all, we are under a tornado watch as well.
They are saying at least high winds, hail and about 1" of rain.

Little one stayed for the weekend so I am exhaused and will only do the routine clean up today.

Brenda
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Manic Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Morning Mates, from a frigidly cold Caribou River. Beautiful sunshine for a change, but COLD at -16C. More snow n the way later in the day too....

Well, how did everyone enjoy the Oscars? I didn't care so much who won because I never saw any of the movies, but I thought Ann Hathaway was delightful and James Franco funny, but a bit wooden.
And kudos to Kirk Douglas for his valiant appearance and humour!

I probably shouldn't be going to work today since I am still suffering from this miserable cold, but as it's only 3 hours, I guess I can do it.
I would like to say though, that that "internet remedy" of putting Vicks Vapo Rub on the bottom of your feet, then some socks before you go to bed....
actually works! I had the best, uninterrupted night's sleep - no coughing and could actually breathe! I think I'm going to re-coat my feet and wear it all day!

donna
Good morning from NY where its raining but 42 degrees .I saw the Oscars last night .I did not care for Mr.Franco . Ann Hathaway was very good and has a beautiful singing voice but the Oscars need to bring back Billy Crystal. Seeing soon to be 95 year old Kirk Douglas and soon to be 96 year old Eli Wallach on stage was great .I wish that more of the 40+ actors over age 80 would appear in the future .
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Todd, I live in Arkansas. I grew up close enough to the New Madrid fault that we could feel the minor shakes it sometimes put off. I moved to the central part of the state almost 30 years ago where you can't feel the shakes from the New Marid. The oil/gas companies moved in our area a few years ago and now we have minor shakes in the county on pretty much a daily basis. They say it's not the drilling, but scientists are concerned it may be the waste wells that are the problem, or rather how quickly the waste wells are filled.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Good day from my side of the Pond.

RD - I hope you recover fully soon.

Sorry folks, we have clear blue skies and the sun - again.

A little bit cooler but who cares when I have to put on my reactolites when sitting in the conservatory reading.

Not much up today except relaxing.

A new discipline today - spend no more than 30 mins/day on the internet - that means I might get some gentle gardening done

Annie
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default Monday Freezing Monday

Good sunny Monday morning! We have freeze warnings til 9 a.m. I hear some sort of machine . . . must be a drill . . .

The Academy Awards went the way everybody said they would. I'd like to see The King's Speech. They don't need to ask Mr. Franco to host again, as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed Ann Hathaway's perky personality. My, but she had a lot of dress changes!

As usual, laundry awaits. Time for a shower, some coffee, some breakfast.

Feel better, Donna. Have a good day, all.

Judy
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from sunny Florida. I hear a cold front is coming through tomorrow. That should cool us down to the low 70's. We sure do need some rain.

RD, hope you are feeling better.

Todd, batten down the hatches and stay safe in the storms. Jake will be flying to Washington DC later today. It isn't looking good for on time flights with all that nasty weather.

Like Trip, I'm going to coast on over to Kuki's blog and see how his cruise is going.

Phyll