Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Good gosh what a pack of old-fogey luddites!!!!

Seriously, how many times have we heard that a new technological innovation is going to be the end of life as we know it, the death of interpersonal relationships and a dire threat to the very thread that holds decent society together?

Probably ever since Og discovered that he could send a message to Zog on the other side the valley using smoke. I can just see the other cavemen sitting around clucking their tongues in disapproval.

The following are some of the things that have been so villified:

Answering Machines
Microwave Ovens
Call Waiting
Electric Refrigerators
Caller ID
Automobiles
VCR's
Cable TV
Telephones
Cell Phones
The Telegraph
Personal Computers
MP3 Players

Come on folks, we ain't that old yet!!!

"I hope I die before I get old." -Pete Townshend (The Who) from My Generation (1965)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004

Last edited by DougR.; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Talking Luddites

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
Good gosh what a pack of old-fogey luddites!!!!
Wow -- you have described me perfectly!! Thank you.

And it is good to know that I have so much company!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Call me anything you want - I still despise Twitter.

Who these days is so addicted to new information input - or incapable of assimilating important details, that they actually prefer having a 154 character limitation?

texting is not new - it is as old as AOL chatrooms. It is email. But it also carries ridiculous extra charges, and we know teenagers to text to people who are right across the room.

Not to mention the car accidents.

I don't care what others want to do. I will text people, I just don't need to learn the language.

Have you noticed most of those sayings are trite comments. When I text it is "meet me at noon - Wendy's on Main"

Is it necessary to add

n do un2 othrs azu do 2u?

I think not! (luddite - geeze, this generation invented the Internet).
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have absolutely no problem with new technology. I live it, use it and understand it more than 98% of the population. Automation and communication technology has changed and, for the most part improved, the way we run our businesses and live our lives and it has been one of the best things to happen since the invention of the steam engine.

The issue is that I often see it abused. With "new" forms of communication that are supposed to increase our interpersonal communication it can do the opposite and I now see that with email, texting, chat rooms and social networking, that we have devolved interpersonal communication. We have many "friends" that we know little or nothing about other than their online persona.

For many people, the days of a visit to someone's home is gone. At work people hide behind their computers and deluge others with worthless emails that either do nothing to resolve issues or inform but add time and slow getting things done. Yes, I know that people sit in worthless and endless meetings but that is the fault of the meeting coordinator and their inability to expedite a meeting but when people get together in a one hour meeting it usually ends up with a better result than emailing about the issue for five days.

Remember when networking was going to make us a "paperless" society. Yeah: Now people have to print every email they send.

Families: Text and email each other in the same house or even the same room.

I enjoy and embrace technology and it has expanded our world, and it has also shrank it, but it's the abuse and "dehumanizing" of it that I find disconcerting.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I'm a gadget nut - got to have the latest that fits to my lifestyle, but none of the ones I mentioned in my earlier post (texting, facebook, twitter) will be part of it.

Today I was at Target talking to a young man (23) who worked there about the Kindle ... he was most knowledgeable (lot better than the geek squad at Best Buy). BUT I mentioned texting - and he rubbed the top of his thumb and said he already had carpal tunnel ... at 23 for pete's sake. What are these people doing to themselves!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Captain

As a self-styled computer genius, I offer up this advice:
Mark my words. This Internet thing, with all its texting, email, Facebook and all that associated fiddle-faddle::: it's not gonna fly.