CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Do You Text? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/380881-do-you-text.html)

MercedMike March 2nd, 2011 01:03 PM

Do You Text?

The world communicates by texting today. If you can't figure out what is being said here, ask a 12 year old to read it to you!
;)

M, pls rite on tabs & giv 2 ppl

1. no gd b4 me. Srsly.

2. dnt wrshp pix/idls

3. no omg's

4 no wrk on w/end (sat 4 nw; sun l8r)

5. pos ok - ur m&d r cool

6. dnt kll ppl

7. :-X only w/m8

8. dnt stl

9. dnt lie re:bf

10. dnt 8-) ur bf's m8, or ox, or dnky. myob

Trip March 2nd, 2011 01:38 PM

I don't and won't...My daughter opened her bill yesterday,and told me her text count was 3500, and she had reseived 3300.....Oh my!

balabusta March 2nd, 2011 01:42 PM

I don't text. I guess I am behind the "technology curve". When I was fifty, almost thirteen years ago, my younger daughter had to show me how to use a computer and my husband, worked as a progammer/analyst!

Aerogirl March 2nd, 2011 01:46 PM

I do but I spell out every word!

CruisinK n J March 2nd, 2011 02:06 PM

Do You Text?

Nope. Don't even know how. As I have written somewhere or other, I don't have a so-called smart phone or any of the other gadgets available nowadays. I wonder how many others are in the same position.

Judy

Queen of Oakville March 2nd, 2011 02:34 PM

I don't text but I do bbm and email.

LIke someone said earlier, I type out every word.

Paul B March 2nd, 2011 02:49 PM

I do not text nor tweet. Facebook is already to much! :eek:

Queen of Oakville March 2nd, 2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1356497)
I do not text nor tweet. Facebook is already to much! :eek:

Tweet Tweet, Twiddle Twiddle, There's only one candy with the whole in the middle.

... sorry, couldn't resist:p

beenie weenie March 2nd, 2011 04:03 PM

Only when I am driving lol...

No I don't text much at all really. Last week I needed to be away from the kids for a short time and so I bought a spare cell phone to leave with them just in case, while they were at a friends house. I programmed all the important phone numbers into it, so they could get in touch with someone to help should they need a hand. Now this is no fancy cell phone with qwerty keyboard. It is just a basic cheap pay as you go phone I picked up on sale for $15 at the dollar store for the kids to use.

Imagine my surprise when I got the alert that I had text message waiting. I looked down at my phone and saw...HeyMomIloveyoubutIcan'tfindthedarnedspacekey bye

That was my baby boy's first text message. Isn't that soooo cute! rofl

Trip March 2nd, 2011 04:05 PM

Gotta love it! Write that down in his baby book, quick! lol

nlb1050 March 2nd, 2011 04:13 PM

No I don't text but do receive a couple a month because of some contest my husband entered and used my cell number.

Manuel March 2nd, 2011 05:23 PM

I do not text. If someone needs to get in touch with me we can talk.

TM

mikomi3 March 2nd, 2011 05:29 PM

texting

I only text if my daughters are at work and I need to give them a message. They then phone me back.
Mary:

Trip March 2nd, 2011 05:35 PM

Mary, welcome to Cruisemates....!!

anniegb March 2nd, 2011 05:43 PM

I can read texts; I can send texts but rarely do unless I am travelling.

But I rarely use my mobile phone either - only in emergency or when travelling.

Annie

Donna March 2nd, 2011 05:45 PM

Nope, me either, if someone wants to get ahold of me, they can call or leave a message at home.

Paul Motter March 2nd, 2011 05:56 PM

I don't text but I can figure all of those except " no ox" - what is ox? like old lover or something?

YOu all know how much I hate Twitter, especially for people who think it is a way to drive readers to your site. I guess it is for some people, but not so much for us.

I have about 1000 followers and I will tweet only if I am someplace special - because my phone lets me tweet pictures.

I just hate facebook - I don't understand what i am looking at - and I'm NOT going to water anyone's fields.

CruzNut March 2nd, 2011 07:36 PM

Nope - don't text and never will. Think how many people are going to end up with thumbapal tunnel disease someday. (Not my creation - a friend's when I said carpal tunnel.)

And, how very dangerous when driving. Feel the same thing about people who use cell phones while driving - including those with hands free. You're driving a 2 ton machine and you think you can do both things ... no way IMO.

I can read most of it, but don't really want to do it. When I was still working, I ran across so many people who couldn't spell - college graduates ... now what do you think you're going to get!

Won't get involved with Twitter either.

And, Facebook - you're asking for Data theft with the friends.

Email, telephone, snail mail, blogs (like here at CM) - okay and safe.

Have a cell phone in my car for emergencies but never have it turned on - just use if really needed.

Trip March 2nd, 2011 07:47 PM

There maybe an emergency, where, someone needs to get hold of you though...mine is on, but, I hardly ever use it..

Luanne Russo March 2nd, 2011 08:14 PM

I do text. I didn't until a few years ago. It comes in handy when Jim is in one of his endless meetings, and can't talk. Josh will text me at night, to see if I am awake. If I answer him, then he calls me.

I don't text while driving, because I have a 5 speed, and only have two hands, plus it isn't safe.

bjm123 March 2nd, 2011 08:27 PM

Yes, I text. I also spell out the words.

It can be really handy when you need to tell several people the same thing at the same time.

Brenda

ToddDH March 2nd, 2011 08:44 PM

Simple answer; no and I won't.

I shall however get a newer cell phone (mine is so old they laugh) but I'm still paying for Fran's and as soon as DeAnna gets back from Asia in May, she's coming up and we're going to get me another phone (free) and cut back t one phone so my bill should really drop. I accept texts but DeAnna is the only one who sends them and she sends them worded in such a manner as the Village Idiot here can understand them.

Fran had really started learning (via DeAnna's tutelage) to text and was so proud of herself and I was proud of her. Sadly, she was gone three weeks later and never got the chance to really use her newfound hobby.

Todd

Lakers Fan March 2nd, 2011 09:37 PM

We have texting blocked from our cell phone .

anniegb March 2nd, 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1356561)
There maybe an emergency, where, someone needs to get hold of you though...mine is on, but, I hardly ever use it..

Trip - 100% correct. That is the reason I was given one years ago - serious family illness.

Trouble is unless I am travelling, I could not tell you where the cell phone is.

Annie

PS - what I need is a cell that I only need to charge once a year.

ship2shore March 2nd, 2011 11:40 PM

you forgot:

"do 2 ppl like u wld do 2uslf"

Queen of Oakville March 3rd, 2011 09:46 AM

We have a distracted driving law in Ontario. No handheld devices can be used while driving; and that includes cell phones, GPS devices, ipods etc.

Mike M March 3rd, 2011 11:18 AM

I will only text if it is an "Informational" text such as: "Be there at 2:00 p.m." or "Call me after meeting".

It irritates me when someone texts an entire interactive conversation when they are in the presence of someone else. If it's that important or requires that much communication then TALK to the person.

More than once I when I was working I would receive multiple emails, on the same subject, that were cc'd to me because I was the boss and people had a CYA attitude. These were people who were thirty feet apart. After a number of one word or one line responses, that did nothing to solve the issue, I would either get up and walk to their cubes or offices and tell them to get up off their butts and talk to each other or I would have them in my office and we would all "talk" about it. A five minute conversation does more to resolve an issue or convey an idea than 20 emails.

Texting is at the bottom feeder of inter-personal communication and some people have allowed texting and email to stop the flow of ideas and information instead of improving it.

Take care,
Mike

MercedMike March 3rd, 2011 12:12 PM

Gldn Rl

Quote:

Originally Posted by ship2shore (Post 1356613)
you forgot:

"do 2 ppl like u wld do 2uslf"

Ah, now the Gldn Rl is from a different set of tablets ... ;)

MercedMike March 3rd, 2011 12:15 PM

ox

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1356536)
I don't text but I can figure all of those except " no ox" - what is ox? like old lover or something?

ROFL.

Paul, "ox" is one of the very few words from the original that is not abbreviated! :D It means "ox," you know, big cow thing with horns that plows the fields?

Now did everybody besides Paul get all the rest of it?

Luanne Russo March 3rd, 2011 12:34 PM

For the record, I don't carry on a conversation in Text. It would drive me crazy. I have a friend that teaches. Her father in law is dying. I texted and asked if she had heard anything, and she texted back that there is no change. She can't take the time to call, but a break without the kids, gives her a minute to respond to a text, plus she knows she is not alone with what is going on.