Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday Stuff

Good Morning all from a chilly Philly!!!

Last workday of the week for me. Should be pretty calm as I am up to date on just about everything but I am sure someone will figure out some crisis by the end of the day. :evil:

There were two women shouting hysterically at each other in the train station in Philly this morning. As I rounded the corner all of a sudden here comes two cops on a golf cart with two running behind them. Seems that the dispute went to the next level and they were in a full out brawl according to a co-worker who was a minute behind me. Hope they settle their dispute amicably.

Everyone have a great day!

Antigua

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well the house is quiet. D/H left for work a bit ago and the kids are still sleeping.
The sun is peeking out and light is filtering over the fields. Morning has broken. It should get up to around 50 today and will hopefully continue to stay above freezing for the next week and a half. We don't need anymore rain right now as the rivers have all flooded out of their banks, so sunshine is good.

My kids are growing up so fast. It makes my head spin. It's like one day you have this amazing tiny little baby, then you wake up one day and boom they are almost teenagers. It goes way too quickly. I would not trade one day with them.

The kitty who was in the hospital last week is doing really good. He is getting back to his old self. I've made some dietary changes and it seems to be working for him. So far the plumbing is still clear. The kitties are adjusting well to the new food and feeding schedule.

I am now about 6 months out from the first foot/ankle surgery. I am pretty pleased so far. I am still adjusting to it and it takes time. I went to the foot doc last week because of some pain I was having after being on my feet for several hours at a time of continuous movement and it seems to be a weak tendon issue. As long as I wear a brace during those times when I am busy like that, It seems to prevent the occurrence of pain and the inflammation. So that is good. I try to remember how bad they were before the surgery. How painful it was first thing in the morning. I would get out of bed and have to hobble to the bathroom, holding on to the furniture along the way for stability, because it hurt so bad to stand on them. I had started putting my socks and shoes with orthotics right next to the bed so that I could put them on immediately, because just walking a few steps barefoot felt like I was walking on glass. Walking or standing sometimes felt very shaky and unstable. Like I was trying to find my center of balance. My feet were very flat, soft and flexible, almost floppy.

Now it is so much better in many respects. I am no longer having the morning pain when I get out of bed, even when I have had a very busy day, the day before. I only wear orthotics and a brace on my right ankle when I will be up on my feet for hours. I no longer have the shaky feeling and my feet feel solid, stable and are getting stronger. So far I would say it is a success. We'll see how I do this spring and summer out in the yard. Unlevel ground has always been a killer. Hopefully that wasn't too boring for you all. I just thought I'd share my progress. So many of you were so wonderfully supportive during the surgeries.

This month looks promising. I am looking forward to some nice warmer weather. Hope you all have a great day! Take Care!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Good day Doug and all to follow

Doug - what was the argument about? Curious

Weatherwise - quiet day i.e. dry and sunny with temp of 50.

Thursday is shopping day and I HATE shopping. I try to do as much as possible on-line but not fresh food. Am I the only woman who gets bored shopping after 10 minutes?

Thursday is also hair day - I hate doing my hair and the hairdresser leaves it so that I barely have to comb it for a week. I know shocking - but one of the blessings of short,thick hair - trouble is it grows like a weed!

I hope all those who are carers are having an easier time and Trip how is Harriet?

Take care

Annie
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Good morning
I’m up early this morning all bright eyed and bushy tail for some odd reason and I haven’t even had my first cup of coffee. Tomorrow is D/S 15th birthday so I need to go out and get his favorite ice cream cake and a few things he has wanted. I see the sun peeking through my kitchen window however from what I hear it’s not going to last very long, I guess we have some rain coming our way. Not much else here.
BW… glad to hear your overall progress is good. As you know I’ve been in foot hell for over a year.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Morning Mates. Doug, how I wish I was on that beautiful beach in Antigua instead of looking out my window this morning.
We went out to Trivia last night, and came home in a storm that was half snow and half freezing ice pellets. Overnight there was a flash freeze, going from +2 to -10, and now it is snowing heavily again and the windchill is at -22C or -7F. I will NOT be taking the kids out to sled today!

Beenie, I was not bored, but interested in your foot tale. Wondered how you were doing actually, after those surgeries, and glad to hear all is well.
When I got out of my boot cast in Jan. I still had a lot of pain, but it has gradually gotten better. Shoes and boots with orthotics are great, but barefoot is still uncomfortable. Should be interesting on the beach in Cuba in 10 days....

Anniegb, you are not alone in hating shopping. I am lucky in that my hubby loves grocery shopping and he does it all. Unfortunately, once a month I have to do a big order for my after school program, stocking up on snacks for the kids. We have fresh fruit and vegetables, granola bars, yogurt, crackers, cheese, even multi-grain tortilla chips and salsa. The kids are always hungry after school!

Also, I know what you mean about short thick hair. I too am going to the hairdresser today, although I only go about every 4-6 weeks. My short hair grows very fast and is very thick. I always have to beg for them to cut and thin it out MORE because it never lasts a week before becoming "pouffy" again! I've got to get it under control so I can "swim & wear" in Cuba!

Well, I'm going to check the school board website and see if they are closing schools due to the weather. It does not look pleasant out there!

donna
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post

Beenie, I was not bored, but interested in your foot tale. Wondered how you were doing actually, after those surgeries, and glad to hear all is well.
When I got out of my boot cast in Jan. I still had a lot of pain, but it has gradually gotten better. Shoes and boots with orthotics are great, but barefoot is still uncomfortable. Should be interesting on the beach in Cuba in 10 days....
donna
Donna when I was in Florida in early December for the Cruisemates dinner, I had wandered down to Naples for a couple of days while the weather was still warm. I attempted to walk in the sand. At that time I couldn't do it very well and it was quite uncomfortable. One thing I have found through my many years of orthotic dependency (which I am slowly breaking free of ) is that water shoes are a wonderful thing on the beach, because if your feet hurt, it makes you tired and miserable. Sears sells the Lands End brand which are inexpensive and wonderful and Teva has a very supportive high quality product too, just don't wear the TEVA's in the hot tub lol... don't ask. My feet were so bad before when I was at the pool, waterpark or beach I had to wear watershoes with a hard plastic waterproof orthotic. I was thankful to be able to enjoy the water, no matter what was on my feet.
Here's a couple of links:
Teva Women's Water Shoes | Teva High- Performance Women's Water Shoes at Teva.com they are kind of pricey, but if you can grab them when they are sale, you can get a great bargain, and they last for years as long as you don't wear them in the hot tub lol.

These looked really cool to me. Propet makes a good walking shoe. I may try this one. Propet Women's Voyager Walker Slip-ons : Men's Shoes : Footsmart.com

Lands End http://www.landsend.com/ix/shoes/Shoes/Assortments=shore-to-sea/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=916&visible=1~2~1& store=le&merchAsId=617&tab=9

I wish I was coming with you to Cuba. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a beautiful Texas where the sun is shinning, and the birds are singing.

I woke up with calf pain this morning. I ran 8 miles yesterday, and now I am paying the price. There are two pains that I call good pain. One is child birth, and the other is excercise.

Doug, That is one heck of a way to start the day. What could be so important to fight at the station?

Trudy, I am so proud of you. You came through both of your surgeries like a trooper. I hope your serious pain is behind you.

I also hate to shop.

Plans today are the usual ones.

I hope all of you have a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

I returned from the Great White North fishing trip late Monday night but it's been busy around the house so I haven't been on the boards too much. Just answering a few questions and deleting a couple of "****** Spam" posts.

We had a great time fishing and everyone enjoyed themselves. It was only 22 below zero on Saturday but we were all warm and toasty in our portable ice houses. We fished on Sunday morning and it was 20 degrees warmer but the wind was whipping at 20+ mph and it felt colder than the previous day's -22. My heater was named the "747" because of the noise it made but it kept my house at a balmy +70F when it was -22 outside.

I brought home 92 cleaned perch and 28 uncleaned fish so Betty cleaned and filleted them. I have the perfect wife. I go fishing, bring home the fish and she cleans them. What more could a man ask for? She is an excellent fish cleaner and her knife skills are better than mine when it comes to filleting.

Today is house cleaning day. Vacuuming, dusting and cleaning light fixtures are on the agenda. Yesterday we cleaned the basement and I REALLY hate that job since we are storing a two bedroom house's contents down there for my son. It was hard to get at the nooks and small spaces but we did it.

I'm glad everyone is doing well and Doug and Donna will soon be off to tropical climates. It's good to hear the Beenie's tootsies are doing well after the surgery and that our UK contingent are well. Annie: I don't mind shopping but I only do it when I'm hungry. I go against the rule. If I go full then I only buy the bare necessities and have to go back a couple of days later. If I go when I'm hungry then I don't have to go back for well over a week.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday and that the up coming weekend is a fun one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Bright sunshine,and cold, but, I am not complaining. The clocks will be changed soon,and April is close enough to touch!

Annie, my hubby as taken over most of the food shopping duties,and he is a bargain hunter. We do go to a supermarket about 20 miles away once a month. This town's prices are so much lower than in my area, it's worth the trip. My hair too is thick,and grows like a weed, I could use a cut now too.

Thanks for asking about Harriet. She is having a recovery unlike many would have. She is blessed to have a very wide circle of friends. She ia a real estate agent,and belongs to several organizations, so once she came home, there are volunteers to do anything for her, as far as bringing food, arranging rides, etc..

Since she cannot stand over the sink to have someone, [me] wash her hair..someone arranged an appointment with someone who has a salonj setup in their home. Things like this, to make her recovery as easy as it can be. She is fortunate,and deservedly so, she has had a traumatic 5 years or so. Her husband was killed in an auto accident,and her son, also passed away, so I applaude her strength,and stand in a long line of those who want to help.

BW, glad the tootsie is better, Rd, start practicing your Spanish!

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Admiral

One can't say that's not an interesting way to start the morning, Ron. Probably woke up a lot of groggy communters. Kinda' like two commuters vying for the same parking lot and plowing into each other.

B/W, your post was not only not boring but most informative and I'm so glad you are doing better. Same for you Rollerdonna and I so hope that you'll be comfortable in Cuba. Oh how I wish we could visit Cuba from this country. Ten dollars to donughts, if we would re-establish a relationship with Cube and allow international trade and tourist investment Cuba would turn into a Democracy within five years or else, a really friendly government. BTW, how'd you do at trivia last night, or should I ask?

It's currently about forty and sunny outside with a high projected of around 60F. Of course they're calling for rain for both Saturday and Sunday.

It appears there is hope for the chronically obese that doesn't involve surgery such as stapling, rubber bands, etc. The Germans have developed a device similar to a pacemaker that is implanted and controls hunger pangs. I guess the test of the device on a German postman has resulted in a loss in a relatively short time of 22 pounds. Now we'll have to see if the fast food industry and all of the buffet restaurants launch some kind of legal action if the device is approved to prevent its use in this country. I'm still losing, thankfully. When Fran died I was about 292 and now I'm 260, give or take a pound but I don't look that bad because I'm 6'4".I'd like to get down to 235 or 240 (which I haven't been in almost twenty years) but that might be asking too much.

That post of Trip's on another thread concerning "Buying American" was mind boggling to the extreme. An ABC crew removed from someone's house everything that wasn't made in America. Many items the family assumed were. Turned out when they were done, the house was literally empty including the stove, microwave refrigerator, etc., etc.! Only the kitchen sink remained! And we wonder what has happened to the American manufacturing industry! Mind boggling. I'm in favor of putting a prominent sticker stating it's country of origin on every single item sold. Of course that ain't gonna' happen and things such as furniture you often have to actually turn over to determine where it was made and often sales people don't have a clue themselves. They eventually, by literally calling all over the US, were able to replace the stuff with items made in the USA. The appliances were snazzy but (and this is individual taste) I found much of the American furniture was "blah" and too ultra modern for my tastes. Would certainly make a huge dent in our terrible trade balance losses if we were just a little careful. Although they didn't say, I'd bet the farm that the overwhelming number of items were made in the far East.

Hope everyone has a bright Thursday (sorry Rollerdonna but maybe your schools will at least be closed and you can stay inside). And of course, Prayers for those on the list and a prayer for Blessings on all continue (twice yesterday as I went to Church). :o

Todd
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Good morning from very cold but also very sunny NY
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Morning all. It's partly cloudy here. It's cool this morning with the heat going but is suppose to make it up to 71 this afternoon. We'll see. Laundry and mopping the kitchen floor is on the agenda for today. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Admiral

The ladies fighting in the train station were street people and with the very little I heard (which was mostly %&^&*$#!!!) they were arguing over a man. I vacated the area as quick as I could becuase there have been several fatal confrontaions between members of that community and just in case one had a gun I wanted to be out of range.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday Stuff

Good morning. We had a nice rain last night, and now, Mr. Sun is shining.

Trudy and Donna, I'm glad you two are on the mend.

Trip, tell Harriet that I am pulling for her.

Annie, if it's grocery shopping you're talking about, I hate it. Clothes shopping, I adore, even it if's just window shopping.

Keith and I treated ourselves to dinner out last night at Smitty's Grille in Pasadena. The food was excellent, but they were much too busy, so the service suffered. This place always busy. Interesting how some restaurants struggle in difficult economic times and others thrive.

I, too, would love to visit Cuba. Maybe in my next life I can go as a ghost for free!

Judy
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon all. It's a beautiful but windy day here in south Florida.

Beenie, it's good to hear about your healing from the foot surgeries. I love to walk around barefoot, and I can't imagine having to wear shoes all the time. Guess that comes from growing up practically on the beach.

Trip, that is encouraging news about Harriet.

LuAnn, I'd have trouble walking 8 miles let alone run them! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Doug, that's a beautiful photo to start the day with. Thanks

Take care everybody
Phyll
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday Stuff

Doug, I forgot to tell you that the photo is beautiful. Surely do wish that I was sitting on that beach today!

Judy