Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise Director

On my last cruise in my opinion the Cruise Director was great at his job .He mingled with the passengers asking for their opinions on the talent he presented .He was very friendly .I had several conversations with him and when I completed the post passenger questionaire I gave him an excellent review .

However ,one evening I did overhear a conversation he was having with a clergyman who was on board and I distinctly heard him say something that to me was offensive and also to my friends cruising with me .

In hindsite I am wondering if I should have said something or indicated something on the questionaire .
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Admiral

On my one and only HAL cruise, I never saw or heard the cruise director.

Maybe they didn't have one?

Annie
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I guess in order to give a more accurate response on whether or not I would have taken any action, I'd have to know what was said.

My thoughts are that he is only "on" while he is actively working and other than that he should be deemed "off the clock' in which case what he says is up to him. As long as he is not rude or offensive while "performing" .... then I would guess that he is doing his job.

May I ask where he was when you overheard this comment? Should he reasonably have expected to be having a private conversation? Or was he standing in line at the buffet?

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Default The conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I guess in order to give a more accurate response on whether or not I would have taken any action, I'd have to know what was said.

My thoughts are that he is only "on" while he is actively working and other than that he should be deemed "off the clock' in which case what he says is up to him. As long as he is not rude or offensive while "performing" .... then I would guess that he is doing his job.

May I ask where he was when you overheard this comment? Should he reasonably have expected to be having a private conversation? Or was he standing in line at the buffet?
We were walking from an evening show .The CD was in the hallway speaking to cruisers on there way from the show .A clergyman stopped him and said that he was traveling with 61 members of his congregation and they wanted to know how to get a room to have a religious service on a Friday evening . The CD replied "we don't do jewish" . To me and my friends as well as other cruisers this was deemed an offensive remark.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Admiral

WOW.

Yes, I'd be offended. If I was feeling particularly brazen, I might have interjected myself into the conversation at the time, and asked for an explanation.

I hope the person involved reported it.

Besides, I cant' believe that a cruiseline would echo that sentiment (i.e. only people of certain faiths are permitted to hold ceremonies on board).

Whether or not HAL permits Jewish ceremonies to be conducted (and I can't see why that would be the case) ....there certainly would have been more tactful ways to respond.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Admiral

I am not Jewish, but I still find that very offensive. I would have sent a letter to that cruiseline's home office.
And in the future, I would take my business else where.

In my experiences, I have allways have had excellent Cruise Directors.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Henry

Why did you not comment on the guest questionnaire form? and I am so surprised you have not reported him earlier.

Frankly with my Scottish mouth, I would have said something - couldn't help it.

In the UK, his job would be in jeopardy.

Annie
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I am not Jewish, but I still find that very offensive. I would have sent a letter to that cruiseline's home office.

TM
I'm with you on this. Jewish, Luthern or whay ever, he was out of line. I would of asked him what the hell does that mean!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For myself, I would not have let that remark go unnoticed, and, probably would have asked to speak to him, before I went off the see the proper crew member to make a formal complaint. In saying that, I would have to be absolutely 110% sure, I heard what I heard.

For the CD to disrespect any religion, ethnicity, etc, is a reportable offense.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 3rd, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Admiral

My suspicion is that what he was trying to say in an evidently somewhat tactless manner (I am not making excuses for him, this is mere speculation on my part, so please forgive if I am incorrect or mistaken), is "we're not equipped to provide a jewish service as we do not have a Rabbi on board".

I have a feeling he had no idea that he had handled this issue in a manner that would be deemed offensive to others, or that someone other than the intended recipient was listening to his private conversation.

I try to mentally put myself in your shoes and see how I would have felt had the CD said to a guest or religious leader of another faith... " We don't do Protestant". Had that offended me, I most likely would have took him aside and asked him if that was his company's policy or if he just wasn't equipped to provide a Protestant service due to lack of resources, personnel etc... I would have explained to him that I felt the way he responded was hurtful and why... then I would have apologized for eavesdropping.

I also would have asked him the best way to ensure that services were available going forward and do my best to try to educate him about the requirements for observance of my faith.

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by beenie weenie; March 3rd, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

BW, thanks for making me see another possibility in this situation..Very poor choice of words on his part, but some education could be put to good use in his case.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I too, am not Jewish, but certainly find the comment, at very least, in VERY poor taste. Would I report the incident,,,,,yes,,,,probably so. On our last Carnival Cruise (Miracle) the CD was the absolute worst I've ever had the unfortunate luck to sail with, and I've told everybody about him, including the beards at Carnival. Talk about lazy, and doing things that are in poor taste,,,Malcolm Burn takes the cake! I'll NEVER EVER spend another dime to sail on a ship where he's the CD.

"SKY"
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Default Beenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
My suspicion is that what he was trying to say in an evidently somewhat tactless manner (I am not making excuses for him, this is mere speculation on my part, so please forgive if I am incorrect or mistaken), is "we're not equipped to provide a jewish service as we do not have a Rabbi on board".

I have a feeling he had no idea that he had handled this issue in a manner that would be deemed offensive to others, or that someone other than the intended recipient was listening to his private conversation.

I try to mentally put myself in your shoes and see how I would have felt had the CD said to a guest or religious leader of another faith... " We don't do Protestant". Had that offended me, I most likely would have took him aside and asked him if that was his company's policy or if he just wasn't equipped to provide a Protestant service due to lack of resources, personnel etc... I would have explained to him that I felt the way he responded was hurtful and why... then I would have apologized for eavesdropping.

I also would have asked him the best way to ensure that services were available going forward and do my best to try to educate him about the requirements for observance of my faith.
The CD made his remark to a Rabbi .The next night there was a religious service .
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

TM

I'm not Jewish either, but I also find it offensive, but REALLY? you'd take your business elsewhere over the comment of one employee? If it were on official HAL stationary that they do not permit people of the Jewish faith to hold religious ceremonies on board, then that's pretty serious. I'm not discounting what was said, but my beef would be with the employee, not the cruiseline.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Apparently the CD either apologized or saw the error of his ways as there were religious services friday night and saturday morning .