Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Default Kings Wharf ,Bermuda

Has anyone ever cruised to Bermuda docking at Kings Wharf instead of Hamilton ?If so would you recommend a cruise docking there ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Admiral

I don't know but if click on the ad above your post, Bermuda Cruises are 80% off! Sign me up!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Friends of ours are cruising HAL to Bermuda from NYC May 29 ,returning June 5.We can't go because we have a wedding June 5 .

A CM couple that we met on a cruise and became friends with are sailing to Kings Wharf .Somebody told me that if you desire to go to Hamilton from there you need to take a ferry.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Has anyone ever cruised to Bermuda docking at Kings Wharf instead of Hamilton ?If so would you recommend a cruise docking there ?
Bermuda is very small and there is easy access to everywhere else on the island from the three possible ports. An all day bus and ferry pass was $12 last year. Very few dock at Hamilton these days as it is limited in the size of ship it can accomodate, a HAL ship was docked the day we visited. I was on the Caribbean Princess which docked on the West End and it was a ferry ride of less than 30 minutes to Hamilton (slightly more via bus).

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Admiral

We will docking at Kings Wharf when we cruise on the Fantasy in Oct. It did not make a difference to us as we are going to Bermuda! Actually for one of the days there we want to rent a scooter to go around by ourselves. And with docking at Kings Wharf we will actually probably end up seeing more of the island than if docking at Hamilton.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Nancy, It has been many years since I was in Bermuda. I have docked both in Hamilton and at Kings Wharf. While Hamilton was more convenient Kings Wharf was fine too. There is a Ferry right into Hamilton and it is convenient to the ships. Once in Hamilton it is just a short walk to the bus station. You can go by bus all over the place easy and reasonable. Unless the saftey of those scooters has improved over the years I would not rent one. Every time I was there I saw at least one accident involving them. I sure wish they would go to Bermuda from Florida. I would go again in a heartbeat. I loved it there.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Default Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
We will docking at Kings Wharf when we cruise on the Fantasy in Oct. It did not make a difference to us as we are going to Bermuda! Actually for one of the days there we want to rent a scooter to go around by ourselves. And with docking at Kings Wharf we will actually probably end up seeing more of the island than if docking at Hamilton.
Where does the cruise leave from ,Fla ?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Henry,

We docked at Kings Wharf in '99 when we cruised the Caribbean on the Explorer of the Seas. I don't know where they originate in Florida but the three cruises we took all originated on the same ship based in Bayonne, New Jersey. We liked RCI but other lines sail there as well out of I believe both Brooklyn and NYC. It's very convenient for those living in the New York area.

We LOVED Bermuda which while extremely expensive (they actually almost brag about it) is worth seeing. The ferry ride is about either three or six bucks each way (I don't remember and anyway, with fuel prices up so high that has undoubtedly increased). You get to see some beautiful homes, etc. on the trip that takes if I remember correctly, less than thirty minutes and docks right on the waterfront in Hamilton in the center of town. Also at Kings Wharf, the excellent fort, famous dolphin rescue and museum I mentioned on another thread are within easy walking distance.

Todd
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Bermuda was our first cruise 38 years ago . Due to medical limitations I cannot be on an airplane and I also cannot be in a car more than a few hours . I am thinking about a return to Bermuda cruise .In 1973 we docked in Hamilton ,there were no shore excursions and we did everything by bus or walking.

I would be able to leave from Manhattan or NJ .
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Henry, the cruise sails from Charleston, SC. We will be driving up the day before the cruise. It is a 6 night with one night in Bermuda and 3 sea days. Arrive Kings Wharf at 4 am and leave the next evening at 5pm, so that give us a good amount of time to explore.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,Nancy ,L
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Admiral

As ships get bigger, fewer and fewer of them are able to tie up at either Hamilton or St. George's. We've cruised to all three ports and St. George's is by far our favorite, but I imagine nothing much bigger than the former R ships can squeeze in there any more. King's Wharf is the least interesting port, but it's the inevitable choice for most ships these days. The ferry works fine; some of the higher end lines have been known to run charter ferries to Hamilton at no cost. But the public ferry is cheap and accessible.

I have mixed feelings about the mopeds. The first few times we visited Bermuda we used to rent them routinely, and never had a problem. Nowadays the overall traffic on the island has grown so heavy that I might have second thoughts about them. It used to be a much more laid back place, but then what wasn't?

We honeymooned in Bermuda at the old Castle Harbour Hotel. The morning after we arrived we went downstairs to the moped rental place. There was a couple ahead of us doing their paperwork, and the wife said she was scared to death, not at all sure she wanted to do this. The rental guy was very nice and said look, there's a large parking lot out there, get on the bike and ride around the lot for a bit. He told her that if she was still uncomfortable to just come back in and he'd tear up the paperwork.

Sure enough, before we'd finished our paperwork she was back saying no way, but hubby kept his bike. As we rode around that day, at various times we saw him riding his bike and her shopping in Hamilton. Evening found us in the hotel dining room, and just as our soup was served, in the two of them walked: him limping and in a cast that seemed to go from his groin to his knee--plus a sling on one arm. Wife leading him in with the most amazing "I told you so" look of disgust that I've ever seen. I nearly did a spit take with the soup, and we both had to turn away. Obviously, it wasn't funny. . .except that it was when you knew "the rest of the story."
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Of all the places we have visited I would not want to rent a scooter but feel that it will okay in Bermuda. The rental places have to keep them up mechanically as it is the only thing a visitor can rent to get around, there is a law that prohibits the rental of cars to visitors. The thing about the scooters is to remember to drive on the left side of the road. I feel that is probably the main reason that visitors get in accidents, at least in Bermuda. My husband has driven motorcycles for years so I feel safe with him driving. Of course all of depends on how much extra money we have to spend as we will be staying in Charleston prior to and after the cruise.

Old March 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Nancy Bermuda has an excellent bus system that goes everywhere on the island. The bus station is a short walk from the ferry landing in Hamilton. Reasonably priced too.
When I went I sailed from NY on Home Lines Homeric. Lovely cruise. More like old time cruising. Really loved that line. Sadly they disappeared. What a shame as they delivered the best cruise I ever took.
Second time I went I sailed from Boston on Celebrity Meridian. the ship was an ugly tub that had just had a makeover. There were many places where you could see behind walls to see scraps of leftover carpet and other construction debris lying there. I still wonder why that mess was not cleaned up before bringing guests aboard the ship. That certainly did not speak well for Celebrity. It was my first and probably my last cruise with Celebrity. I had heard so much good about Celebrity but after that I was unimpressed.
I hope you have a wonderful cruise to Bermuda. I loved that island. If they ever start sailing there from Florida ports I would be booked to go in a heartbeat. Long ride for me to go to Charleston alone. I would consider flying first.

Laura

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain