Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Modern TV Dramas

I am a TV nut, and when I met my wife I only ever watched DVD movies or movie channels like HBO.

Well, HBO has really gone downhill - replacing the Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Deadwood with "Hung" and "Entourage." Even Big Love" started good but has gotten way too dark and convoluted.

Movies have gone downhill - because everyone waits for them to come out on DVD to see them now.

So - my wife started watching regular Network TV - with COMMERCIALS! and we like it. We really like these shows:

House
Fairly legal
Bones
White Collar
(those are mine)

She also likes -

Royal Pains
CSI
Leverage
Burn Notice

Some of these shows are truly excellent with great threads as well as well developed characters and interesting individal episodes. It just blows my mind that we now watch network TV with commercials, even though I still pay for the movie channels. I did stop the Blockbuster subscription, though (I don't like Netflix).

Do you watch any of these, and which am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Hbo used to have great shows :Curb Your Enthusiasm ,Flight Of The Conchords ,The Sopranos . Entourage was very good the first few seasons but its been pretty bad the past 2 years . The only shows that I have been watching lately and enjoying are Boardwalk Empire and True Blood .

I almost never watch drama on network shows .My wife (a retired RN) likes to watch the medical shows .
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That's the point Henry - trust me and watch House at least - you will be amazed how well developed the characters are. We have seen every episode. Bones is really good, too.

Most of the shows are on USA.

They remind me of the old series on HBO like Six Feet Under.

I appreciated Curb Your Enthusiasm, but found it very repetitive after the firs couple years.

Flight of the Conchords is EXCELLENT. I wish that had kept it going for more seasons. It was ingenious understated music business parody. Like Spinal Tap without the obvious sight gags.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Paul : just a few days ago I remarked to my wife that I never watched House .

I will try next weeks show .
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Default Modern TV Dramas

We watch Jeopardy and Dancing with the Stars on network tv, and the news. But by far, most of the television we watch is on Dish Network.

Judy
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Paul..I watch and really enjoy all the shows on both of your list..my current favorite is "The Closer"
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Admiral

I used to watch the Closer but lately I could guess who was guilty 15 minutes into the show .

In the mid 80's when Dallas and Knots Landing were among the most watched shows a friend of mine had an idea to write a show that satarized all of the dramas similiar to these two. He wrote 13 episodes and tried to sell the idea to NBC but was rejected . Instead he hired a group of unknown actors and they performed the shows over a period of 13 weeks in a local theater .
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Paul,
You may also enjoy NCIS with Mark Harmon, really good show....

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have always been able to multitask while watching tv, and I have a slew of faves..

Fairly legal
Bones
Royal Pains
Burn Notice
CSI
The Good Wife
Burn Notice
The Closer.....this show will be in for a major upheval if you believe the tv dish. Brenda is leaving!

I watch the Investigation Discovery Channel, as I love a good mystery.So that means, Dateline, 20/20, 48 Hours too

I am addicted to the Real Housewives of every city, even Mars

Some show, I like are on their last legs, so the fall might bring some changes.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 4th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Admiral

I like Entourage .

Have you watched Nurse Jackie? It stars (can't remember her name) who was Mrs. Soprano. The show is soooo well written that it makes you love and root for a drug-addict nurse who is having an affair. Nurse Jackie works in a NYC hosptial in the emerge section. There are two emerge doctors and the hospital administrator as well as a few kew nurses who round out the cast. I'm not sure how it airs on HBO, but in Canada, on our "movie channel", they just started re-runs of Season 2. Season 3 will start again in the summer.

I also LOVE Criminal Minds. We started watching the show last year, and go so entrenched, we taped EVERY episode that ran in re-runs on A&E. I highly recommend this show. It is scary and provocative. After watching a show, it really changes the way you think and learn to see "Danger' in even the most normal settings. They've just started a splinter series which is just okay. Please watch an episode of Criminal Minds (it airs a few times a day on A&E) and tell me what you think.

The only other shows I watch (other than a host of reality TV) ... The Good Wife and Glee.

I used to really enjoy NIP/TUCK. THE first four seasons were brilliant, but in the last couple of years it just got too desperate. I think it is off the air now.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Admiral

I tried Nurse Jackie because of Edie Falco but I could not get into it.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Admiral

I've not been able to watch tv as much recently, so I m no longer caught up but my list:

Law & Order SVU.
Criminal Minds
The Closer
Royal Pains
Burn Notice
House
Bones
White Collar

This is hardly serious drama, but I love Survivor. It's great mindless entertainment.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I tried Nurse Jackie because of Edie Falco but I could not get into it.
Edie Falco - thank you!

I was never a fan of the sopranos, so I found it easy to accept her in this role. I love the characters and wish it were a full hour.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Admiral

I loved the Sopranos .It was ,in my opinion ,one of the greatest shows ever .
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also think the Sopranos was a great show. I think 6 feet Under had one of the best final episodes of any show I have ever seen (unlike the Soproanos where you have no idea what happened).

What made the Sopranos, and House, both so good is that the main character is so flawed, but you see the world from his perspective and everything makes sense - so even though they are basically "messed up" people you end up liking them.

I like Nurse Jackie, but my wife somehow just doesn't like subtle humor - she is more of a "fantasy" person. She cannot watch "the office" at all.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Familiar Face

I also watch House, though not as regularly as I once did, I just find the story lines very repetative and I'm really not a fan of "Huddy".

Other shows I like:

Fringe - I would have to say this is my favourite show. I really love John Noble and hope he gets an Emmy as he's amazing as Walter Bishop (and Waternate).

NCIS

NCIS: Los Angeles - I actually like this show better than NCIS.

Hawaii Five-O (one big draw is I'll be going there at the end of April. One episode (the one where Danny's brother was in town) was particularly cool since a lot of the scenes were at the hotel I will be spending 3 nights at before I board the Rhapsody.

Bones

The Event - though this show has a good premise, but being off for the past 3 months, I have a feeling it will be lucky to last the season. The first episode back is scheduled for Monday, 7 March (in Canada it is also being aired on Sunday, 6 March on CTV).

I also like Harry's Law with Kathy Bates, but for some reason I can't seem to remember to watch it.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Hey Wando, where are you from? You can tell from my screen name, where I'm from!

What is the THE EVENT about? Judging by the name, it almost sounds like soemthing I've watched before. I get sick of these shows with all the build-up ... they suck me in, and then they get cancelled. I'm still miffed that Flash Forward was cancelled as was the other show (help me out Henry!) the one with the space craft that lands in Alaska, and then the "aliens" are held prisoner for over 50 years but then never age, then the plane is kidnapped and held hostage in exchange for the prisoners in Alaska. Meanwhile, this young guy is running all over the US trying to find his girlfriend who is the daughter of the pilot of the plane, and she's kidnapped along with her sister to use as leverage over their father who was the pilot of the plane that dissapeared into thin air. Okay, having typed all of that out, I admit, there is no question as to why the show was cancelled I still want to find out the show was supposed to end.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Admiral

ha, ha, ha .... I just googled it, and the show i described is THE EVENT.

Glad to know its coming back!

Now bring back Flash Forward, and I'll be a happy camper!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Henry..the reason why I love The Closer is not because of the plots, but the way the ensemble cast plays off each other.."Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson" came to the LAPD under less then ideal circumstances (she had an affair with Chief Pope), but also everyone in Priority Homicide Squad didn't want her to be successful but over the course of time, they not only learned to respect her but became her biggest supporters despite her "quirks"...I think great tv dramas are based upon the strength of the ensemble cast and not just the lead (star) character...

Kojak, Monk,Tony Soprano,Magnum , Jethro Gibbs, had long successful runs and DCLAPD Brenda Johnson can take her place among this group
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Hey Wando, where are you from? You can tell from my screen name, where I'm from!

What is the THE EVENT about? Judging by the name, it almost sounds like soemthing I've watched before. I get sick of these shows with all the build-up ... they suck me in, and then they get cancelled. I'm still miffed that Flash Forward was cancelled as was the other show (help me out Henry!) the one with the space craft that lands in Alaska, and then the "aliens" are held prisoner for over 50 years but then never age, then the plane is kidnapped and held hostage in exchange for the prisoners in Alaska. Meanwhile, this young guy is running all over the US trying to find his girlfriend who is the daughter of the pilot of the plane, and she's kidnapped along with her sister to use as leverage over their father who was the pilot of the plane that dissapeared into thin air. Okay, having typed all of that out, I admit, there is no question as to why the show was cancelled I still want to find out the show was supposed to end.
I'm from Belleville (about 2 hours east of Toronto).

You had me confused when you asked about what The Event was about and then proceeded to describe it. I doubt it will last past this season, a show that has a fairly complex storyline, especially in the first season, cannot expect to keep viewers when it disappears for 3 months. I did find the cruise ship story to be a bit creepy, especially since it was aired about a month before I went on the Epic. I was hoping I wouldn't have any room key issues.

The same thing happened to Flash Forward, thanks in part to the Winter Olympics. I too enjoyed it and while it did start off slowly, it was getting stronger and the last episode was amazing. I had heard rumours that it might be picked up by another network, but I guess it didn't work out.

I enjoy those types of shows. Lost is my absolute favourite TV show and I was really sad when it ended. I can only think of one other show that I felt the same way when it ended, The Pretender.

I will have to remember to ask about the filming of Hawaii Five-O at the Hilton Hawaiian Village when I go there in April. I'm curious if the extras in the scenes were brought in or if they were hotel guests. I'm not sure if I would like to be there when they are shooting, since I would imagine that parts of the hotel area would be closed to prevent guests from interupting while they film. Plus I might be tempted to try to stuff Scott Caan in my suitcase, you know as a souvenir.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

I watched the Event ,I forgot about it . Did anyone watch Person's Unknown ?
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Of course, I know belleville! We'll be driving through next month on our way to Montreal!. I remember growing up .... there was an amazing hamburger joint that was just off one of the exits. It was more of a family restaurant, but we used to always order their hamburgers. I remember the owners were really fond of us, and used to give us "Free" full-size coffee crisp bars. To a kid that didn't get much treats, I used to love those chocolate bars! As an adult, I've gone looking for that place but could never find it!

I've got the PVR set to tape the EVENT tonight (though i have to remember to get DH to tape the Bachelor on his PVR downstairs.). That would be amazing if they brought back Flash Forward.

I loved Lost too, although I hated the ending. I think I'm a sucker for these "serial" type shows. i'm not much into sci-fi, but these shows seem to grab me anyway.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Default Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Of course, I know belleville! We'll be driving through next month on our way to Montreal!. I remember growing up .... there was an amazing hamburger joint that was just off one of the exits. It was more of a family restaurant, but we used to always order their hamburgers. I remember the owners were really fond of us, and used to give us "Free" full-size coffee crisp bars. To a kid that didn't get much treats, I used to love those chocolate bars! As an adult, I've gone looking for that place but could never find it!

I've got the PVR set to tape the EVENT tonight (though i have to remember to get DH to tape the Bachelor on his PVR downstairs.). That would be amazing if they brought back Flash Forward.

I loved Lost too, although I hated the ending. I think I'm a sucker for these "serial" type shows. i'm not much into sci-fi, but these shows seem to grab me anyway.
One of my nephews is friends with one of the stars of Lost .Even he believes that the ending was not fair .I posted this on a Lost thread .
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Paul, I too loved the Sopranos but didn't get to see all that many episodes until they started running them on one of what I call those "off network" networks. I'd love to get a DVD collection of the whole series but I can't afford to re-mortgage the house right now.

Know what? I'd wish they'd bring back Dragnet. 'Course they'd have to clone Jack Webb.

Todd
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Admiral

I dont' want to hijack the thread but do any of you guys around my age (Henry, Ken, Manuel, etc.) remember those old cop movies on TV that were filmed in the forties and virtually everyone had the same exact scene of police cars (before the days they called them cruisers and this may be the reason) all coming out one after another from that basement garage?

Has anyone ever wondered what those cops were doing just sitting in the garage for their whole shift until "Calling All Cars!" came over the radio. Must've been one hell of a coffee and donut stand down there!

Todd
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default Sopranos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Paul, I too loved the Sopranos but didn't get to see all that many episodes until they started running them on one of what I call those "off network" networks. I'd love to get a DVD collection of the whole series but I can't afford to re-mortgage the house right now.

Know what? I'd wish they'd bring back Dragnet. 'Course they'd have to clone Jack Webb.

Todd
Barnes and Noble is selling the complete set for $195.00 .

Several years ago I went to dinner to Rao's which is partially owned by Tony Sirico who was a member of the Sopranos cast .That was quite an experience ,a once in a lifetime one .
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: On the Lido deck of any ship taking shots of Kamakazi's with Partyanimal & Co.

Paul,

I whole heartly agree 6 Feet Under had the best ending of any show I have seen. I would get HBO for 3 months out of the year just for that show. You knew where everyone ended up in their life.

My new addiction is Justified. That show has sucked me in.

I love all the CSI's.

Brothers & Sisters

Greys Anatomy of course.

No reality TV here.