Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Default Monday - How to ruin a perfectly good week!

Good morning all you nice people!!!

Had a great weekend with our grandaughter Natalie. She called me Grampie for the first time and gave me a kiss without being prompted to! I am in grandpa heaven!!!

Windy in Philly today but an improvement over the downpour of yesterday. If it was a snowstorm I would be snowed in.

Made some Hawaii plans over the weekend, the trip cannot come early enough for me.

Everyone have a great week!

San Fransisco

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Morning Doug, you're right, how to ruin a perfectly good week!

We had a melting day yesterday. Snowbanks are a few feet lower and everything is very wet. Today we are to get a lot of rain so I guess more will melt. Temp is at +4C or 39F. Dare I hope that spring has arrived?

Had a lovely visit and dinner yesterday with our friends. The poor guy who broke his leg was delighted with the jigsaw puzzle we brought him, along with some Brit Com videos to keep him occupied while he is house-bound.

This morning I have to drag out the suitcase and get packing. I've chosen and tried on what I want to bring, so that's half the battle done already.
It's hard to get my mind around hot weather clothes when there's still so much snow on the ground!

donna
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning from a cool NW GA. Temps should be warmer again by the weekend. It was cold yesterday with the wind and rain.

I already have the music cranked up so I can get moving with some usual housework and some closet cleaning, yuck.

Have a great day.

Brenda
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Admiral

A quiet day this side of the pond.

No sun, but dry and mild.

Enjoy the day

Annie
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning from snowy Minnesota. Another 3+ inches of snow fell yesterday. We never left home so I just left the driveway until this morning and at 6 a.m. my neighbor had already plowed most of it. I just had to blow by the garage doors and the walkways. It was an easy job. We are scheduled for three more snow events this week with about six inches more expected.

The only thing on the agenda for today is a trip to the doctor. I've been having "tummy problems" for the last few weeks and it's time to see what's happening. Gee: Perhaps eating an entire cow on Saturday wasn't good for me.

I hope everyone has a great Monday and a wonderful week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny beautiful Florida. Jake doesn't have to fly out until late this afternoon so we stopped by McDonalds and got some breakfast to take down to the Jupiter Inlet. I love sitting down there watching the water and the boats go by.

Mike, sorry to hear you are having tummy problems. Hope the doc can give you a quick fix for that.

RD, when do you leave for your vacation?

Have a good one all.
Phyll
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Phyll, I leave straight from work on Fri. afternoon, off to Halifax for the night (2 hr. drive) then fly out Sat. morning direct flight to Cuba. Can't wait!

donna
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates, oh and to you too Grampie!
The weekend passed by so quickly and here it is, Monday again! I am still working on our possible trip to Toronto. After a few emails over the weekend, it looks like this could happen, but is still not definite. I'd like to get this one signed, sealed and delivered. If it happens we'll have to leave here right after my Church Board meeting on Saturday, probably about 5 p.m. I'm not sure how this will work, if we'll stop in Michigan somewhere or drive all night to get to d/h's folks place in Canada. It's still 2.5-3 more hours to get to Toronto from there.

D/H surprised me yesterday. I came home at about 6 p.m. with a bad case of sore feet, and sleep deprivation. I could not take another step. I came in my front door and the house smelled like pine sol. The floors sparkled. He and the kids worked hard cleaning up and it was sooooo nice and so appreciated.

Well there's still lots to do around here. I need to get moving. Hope the week is a good one for all of you.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Hey Beenie Weenie - I live just outside of Toronto! When will you be here?

I spent Sunday with a sick little boy who had a stomach virus. No sleep Sunday night .... every time he stirred, I woke up and got the bucket ready.

*sigh* I'm soooooo tired.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't spread to the rest of us. Any thoughts on how to stay healthy? We leave in less than two weeks. We started our cruise last year, getting to know the US healthcare system and getting turned away from walk-in clinics because they didn't like our "travel insurance".

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Hey Beenie Weenie - I live just outside of Toronto! When will you be here?

I spent Sunday with a sick little boy who had a stomach virus. No sleep Sunday night .... every time he stirred, I woke up and got the bucket ready.

*sigh* I'm soooooo tired.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't spread to the rest of us. Any thoughts on how to stay healthy? We leave in less than two weeks. We started our cruise last year, getting to know the US healthcare system and getting turned away from walk-in clinics because they didn't like our "travel insurance".
If this works out, we'll be there next week at this time. D/H will be in Toronto from Sunday night until Friday. I am undecided how long I will stay in Toronto. I may just stick around there a couple of days then go spend the rest of the time with the kids and d/h's folks in Sarnia.

A side note regarding your experience with the walk in clinics. Typically, they expect payment up front, at the time of service. Around here an office visit to a walk in clinic/urgent care generally casts between $70 and $100. A clinic will usually not turn you away unless you refuse to pay for service up front. Now if I happen to choose one that has a contract with my health insurance, then I simply pay the co-pay. But yes, they typically do require payment up front, then you have to file for reimbursement from your travel insurance. You will find that to be the case in many countries, not just the U.S. It will also be the case if you need to see the ship's doctor onboard. We were taking a 2 week repo cruise from NYC City on the Jewel a couple of years ago and right before we left I got a pedicure which left me with a lovely staph infection, that spread rapidly and left my foot the size of a football. It was scary. So as soon as I got on board I saw the ships doctor and he did a great job taking care of me. He had everything I needed to cure the infection quickly. The charges were put on my onboard account and when I got home I had to file a claim with my travel insurance and it was covered with no problems. People really need to know this. It is not common to present a copy of your travel insurance policy and expect it to be accepted as payment in full, as a matter of fact if I were visiting Canada and needed medical attention, I don't think they would accept travel insurance either and I would likely to pay up front and be reimbursed.

Now if there was a life threatening emergency, requiring medical evacuation, or admission to a hospital, I think it would then be reasonable to assume that the travel insurance would then become a more vital piece of the puzzle.

But just keep in mind that if you need to go to an urgent care/walk in clinic you need to pay at the time of treatment. Get all the info you will need to file a claim and then submit it to the travel insurance for reimbursement. Have a cushion of $$$ set aside for those sorts of unexpected issues that every traveler runs into from time to time.

Old March 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Next week is crazy for me ... I'm expecting to work late most of the nights, so I can take off the next week without worry. But with family here, I'm guessing there will be more trips for you to this area. I'd love to meet you (promise - I'm not an axe murderer!).

Yeah, that is pretty much how the travel insurance worked. It was the whole "experience" that I found fascinating. We started at the walk-in clinic in Merrit Island that didn't even watn to see us, even if we were paying cash. As soon as we said no health insurance, just travel insurance, she literally shut the window in our face. We stood there shocked. We finally convinced her that we could pay cash (I think DH literally had to show her the cash) and then we realized that we were not going to see a doctor but a nurse, so we left. We went to another place that also refused us, even if we were paying cash. We finally found a clinic oposite the Walgreens on the strip that took us, and I think we paid about $90. RBC Insurance covered us with no problems, and sent us a cheque for the whole amount.

OMG on your pedi gone bad. I've heard that from others too, but nothing will stop me from getting pedis. Curious - do you still get them?

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Default Monday-How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Week!

It's dreary and a little damp here in SoCal. Rain all day, we're told, but not in all areas.

I'm feeling gimpy today with a sore arm and a back ache.Looks like the asprin bottle will take a hit.

I hope eveybody else has a nice day.

Judy
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Judy, Hope you get feeling better soon sweety!

Queen, I don't think I have had a pedi since (except for the ones my 8 year old daughter has given me lol.) You should see my toes right now they are insane looking. She painted my toes while I was asleep a week or two ago. She actually does a pretty good job. I love getting a pedi, and the place I had it done was one of the nicer salons in this area, but I always worry about their sanitation practices.

I'll let you know if this trip works out and we get the green light to come up. Otherwise, you're right, we head up that direction several times a year and I am sure we'll be able to get together sometime.

Old March 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Hi mates

We had torrential rain, so we we are a bit soggy here in Central Ct.

Had a bit of water in the basement this morning, so we had to clean that up.

It's sunny now, but moer rain is in the forecast for thursday.

I can hardly believe that we will be in Florida a month from now ( hopefully under sunny skies )

tm
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Hello all. I am trying to take care of five three week old puppies witout a momma.
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from warm and sunny NY . The upcoming days for me are not that great :
Thursday :followup on my skin cancer surgery
Monday morning: doctor to determine the cause of severe stomach aches
Monday afternoon: cardiac stress test