Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Default Fat Tuesday!!!!! Good Morning Thread

good morning from New Orleans...nothing special going on in the city today..no school, no work, no mail, banks closed

happy Mardi Gras Day
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Happy Mardi Gras to you too Venice! What a wonderful celebration it is too! I'll have to dig out my purple, gold and green beads today....

Well, we had our spring, it lasted 1 day, now we're back to winter once again.
Yesterday the temp got up to +9C or 48F, and we had much melting, followed by heavy rain and high winds which washed away virtually everything except the piled-high snowbanks. Even those are down about 3 feet. We could even see grass!
This morning though, there is a light dusting of snow on everything and it continues to snow and blow....will it ever end??

donna
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Happy Mardi Gras Venice.

Been up most of the night with one puppy. Four will eat and go to bed, the other is well, like a baby wanting to be rocked all of the time. I will be glad when the next few weeks are finished.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well Venice I hope you enjoy the day. I wish I were there to celebrate with you. But alas I will be here in the great midwest holding down the fort. There isn't much to look forward to today. No parades or people throwing beads. The mail will come and most likely a bunch of bills will come with it.

I just ruined d/h's morning. He was blissfully sleeping as he repeatedly would hit the snooze button. I waited until 7:00 and asked him what time he needed to be leaving for work by.... I think 7:00 is the answer lol. he is now in the shower. D/D got up a bit ago. I am not sure why she is up so early. She generally sleeps as late as I will let her. The child has to have at least 12 hours of sleep or she cannot function... I see a nap in her future. It's a good thing my kids have early bed times. The wonderboy is still sound asleep.

I was disappointed to get word last night that the trip to Toronto isn't happening next week. So back to the drawing board. I was hoping we might luck out and be able to head up there.

I hope you all have a great day!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Good Morning Friends. Today is a sad one for me. I got the news of the passing of Patty's room mate Lorraine. Lorraine was a dear sweet lady that lived with Patty in the home of my friend Debbie J. in NH. She, like my beloved Patty was mentally challenged. Her life was filled with joy and the happiness of being part of Debbie's family. For nine years Debbie loved her and tended to her needs. She will be missed by all of us that knew and loved her.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 8th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Admiral

I am sorry for your loss Laura.
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone!

It's a standard early March day here. Cloudy and chance of snow is in the forecast.

Not much on the agenda today. Maybe I'll celebrate Mardi Gras and run around and lift my shirt up. I'll either score some beads, land in jail or be hit with a tranquilizer dart by animal control. Crazed, furry, creatures don't usually last long around here.

Laura, I'm sorry to hear about Lorraine and I'm sorry for yours and Patty's loss.

Beenie: Many, many years ago the snooze alarm ban went into effect in our house. My day would start around 4:30 a.m. and I would hit the snooze button two or three times. Betty literally put her foot down. She didn't have to get up at that time so when the alarm went off I had better get out of bed or I'd have a foot in the middle of my back pushing me out of bed. Since then, if the alarm goes off I'm up.

Moraine: I guarantee that you'll look back at the nights of having to rock the puppy with fond memories. That doesn't help the lack of sleep now but it will.

I hope all Cruisemates have a great "Fat Tuesday" and a wonderful rest of the week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates

Happy Mardi Gras!

Of course for me it's the Carnaval.

Sorry about your loss Laura.

We will have a couple of more sunny days then another monster rain storm.

Have a nice day everyone.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!

Last edited by Manuel; March 8th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

Beenie: Many, many years ago the snooze alarm ban went into effect in our house. My day would start around 4:30 a.m. and I would hit the snooze button two or three times. Betty literally put her foot down. She didn't have to get up at that time so when the alarm went off I had better get out of bed or I'd have a foot in the middle of my back pushing me out of bed. Since then, if the alarm goes off I'm up.
I probably would have had a foot planted in his tushy as well, but fortunately for my dear sweet hubby, I was already awake... lol

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Bright sun,and actually from my spot in bed, it looks like it could be 70ish out there They showed unreal flooding in CT on the news this morning from all the rain, and, melting snow...So glad I live at the crest of a hill!

I have Lucy today, so I will soon look like a clown from the circus,as she loves to do make up and hair..at 3, she is tooo funny.....

Laura, I am so sorry to hear about Lorraine...sending a hug.

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 8th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Admiral

QUOTE=Trip;1357888]Hi Kids,
They showed unreal flooding in CT on the news this morning from all the rain, and, melting snow...So glad I live at the crest of a hill!

[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, I had to pump water out of my basement.
Now we wait for more heavy rain on thursday.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone! Working from home today which means I will have a chance to review a 60 page policy proposal in peace and quiet. I also get to figure out what the heck two of my grantees were doing when they screwed up their accounting reports for last year.

Laura sorry about your friend.

Everyone have a great day!

Casteries Harbor, St Lucia

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Venice - have fun! One of these I will make to New Orleans!

Laura - sorry for your loss.

Pancakes for dinner tonight!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Moraine, who's puppies are you looking after, and what kind are they?

donna
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

((((HUGS)))) to you Laura, sorry for the loss of your's and Patty's friend Lorraine.

donna
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Default Fat Tuesday Good Morning Thread

Good morning. Bright and sunny here in SoCal. Looks like all the crazy wind has passed on. We never did get any rain.

I am not looking forward to seeing the dermatologist today. I'll get a report on the skin cancers she sent to the lab and more removals of others.

Keith will go with me to the doctor, so we can go directly to Norm's for lunch when I'm through.

Have a good day, all.

Judy
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Talk about FLOODING. Everything is covered in water as far as the eye can see. OH YA.. I'm out in the Pacific Ocean.

Quick internet this morning, so thought I would say hi.

Virtual Cruise -Sapphire Princess - LA/Hawaii/LA
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Technically, I guess they are mine. The OH had a mostly wolf he kept in the country. Someone poisoned her a few days ago and she died. He brought the five puppies down here for me to babysit. Don't really know what the dad is other than I was told it was a big black dog.
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Good Afternoon everyone,

I started this post this morning when I got a call I had to get up and get an INR (which is a blood test to determine viscosity (too thin or too thick). While I was out I had errands to run and got them done as well so I wouldn't have to go back out and waste gas.

Right off the bat Laura, I am so sorry for your loss. When I was very young my parents were friends with a couple with two mentally challenged daughters, the elder of which was severe. When my Aunt died she left a small bequest to the elder sister because she had been the child's Godmother (she was a great friend of the mother's as well). In the search for her (by then both parents had died) we discovered the elder daughter had tragically died as a result of a choking incident on a piece of food.

The Mother (her father had died decades before) had made arrangements that the younger daughter (Darby) was well attended. She lived alone in her mother's condominium and had daily checks and assistance from a care giver overseen by an excellent and caring attorney who had custodial powers and who managed the considerable finances Darby interited. She was a year or so younger than I and she not only remembered but was thrilled to hear from us. Fran and I established a close long distance phone relationship for two years with her. Fran and I, in effect, became her "family" by proxy. One very hot Friday morning her central air broke down and the care giver made arrangements to have it fixed, as her care giver was off that weekend. The guy never showed so on Sunday she called me because she said she was unbearably hot. I knew there had to be someone from the organization that provided her care giver that she could call but she couldn't remember and couldn't even find the number of the organization (which of course was there somewere). She had tried her own caregiver but she had gone out of town for the weekend and I could tell by Darby's voice that she was panicky. I suggested she call her "guardian" to whom she had 24/7 access when at all possible. The attorney was great and had the problem repaired within three and a half hours when she called me back and told me what had occurred. This attorney was unbelievably committed regardess of whatever financial arrangements had been made to pay him which, I'm sure, involved a considerable sum.

We talked many times after that and she was so proud she told me that she finally, had graduated from high school! She also worked in the bakery department of a local Kroger store. Darby knew and understood her disability and used to talk about it all the time. As a result she was fully cognizant of her limitations. She even had a long time boyfriend who was also in the same condition but who still lived with his parents who were still alive. She had had some surgeries (female related) but nothing drastic and they had been a couple of years previously and she wanted to come down and visit us. She could even travel on her own provided there was someone at either end. Fran was initially apprehensive, not because of Darby's condition as much as what to do if a problem arose. We figured we'd get info long before she came and I was going to call her Christmas Eve (it was then mid November) and tell her that for her Christmas present, we wanted her to come and we would help make arrangements with her care giver organization.

Literally three days later I received an envelope with my name completely misspelled but the address correct and it was from an attorney. It turned out to be her guardian. We were absolutely stunned. Darby was dead "of natural causes"! Her guardian had found our name and address somewhere among her things, didn't know who we were but had the common sense to understand we somehow knew the family (it could have been a result of long distance calls from her because he handled all financial affairs). We both were terribly heart broken especially as the relationship, long distance though it had been, had become firmly cemented.

He wrote that per her Mother's will, once Darby passed, all financial assets were to be distributed among several charities and even listed them. This was information he really didn't have to provide but somehow figured that would have been a question (which in fact it would have but of course been a topic that we would never pursue because it was none of our business). I wrote back, thanked him so very much for his many years of service to Darby and explained the relationship Only shortly thereafter, did I discover that those with Downe's Syndrome often do not live much into their fifties, which answered some major questions we had (by that I don't mean suspicious ones, but why she died so young).

So suffice it to say, Laura, that I do so feel and understand your loss and you have, of course, my deepest condolences.

Moiraine, you are TRULY a "Queen," and not just of Oakville!

Beenie Weenie, I always arisen around five or even before prior to Fran's death. Now my sleep patters are so screwed up I insure I receive at least TWO phone calls in order to meet early morning appointments! I put everything on a calendar which I religiously try and check daily so I don't miss any.........uhhhhhhhhhhhh, if I remember to check the calendar!

Prayers and Blessings continue and I hope everyone has, if not a celebratory, at least a really good Tuesday! I'd celebrate except that my newest medication can have such severe consequences if one drinks alcohol while on the medication! For me not to do that, it has to be REALLY bad side effects.

Todd

Last edited by ToddDH; March 8th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Good Afternoon everyone,

Moiraine, you are TRULY a "Queen," and not just of Oakville!

Todd

JUST

.... I think I've been dissed

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville, Todd was not "dissing you" at all.
he just got you confused with "Moraine" who is looking after a litter of abandoned puppies, and thought it was you, saying you are a "Queen" for doing so!

donna
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I know he had us confused! I was just teasing.

Thanks for clarifying though!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991