Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Default Tsunami Friday

Good Morning Cruisemates

Mother Nature strikes again!

I wake up this Friday to hear of another earthquake, this time off Japan which has resulted in the Pacific rim now on Tsunami alert.

I understand that the West coast of USA is on tsunami alert. Buildings in Hawaii are being evacuated.

Damage in Japan is severe.

I hope the Sapphire Princess is OK

Annie

Last edited by anniegb; March 11th, 2011 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Admiral

It was nasty watching the tsunami going inland in Japan!!!
Took out all sorts of buildings, vehicles etc.
Amazing watching a burning building floating on top of it????

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates

Mother Nature does bring on some unpleasant surprizes for us quite often.
I do hope that the destruction and loss of life is kept to a minimum.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Admiral

The weather Channel reports the first waves to hit Hawaii about 8 A.M., then continue to Alaska and U.S. northwest shores. In what strength is yet to be determined.
Those films of the earthquake were shattering, then the film of waves 50 miles inland carrying everything in sight is unbelievable.
I'm sure all cruise ships are making a fast migration away from the islands.
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Tsunami Friday?! That is not good news, especially for those in Japan as well as Hawaii. I do hope the Sapphire Princess is safe!

With that news this morning, I certainly can't complain about the weather here. It's sitting at 0C or 32F and we are expecting heavy rain later in the day. Good for melting all that snow!

We will be dropping off the pets at the kennel today (*sniff*), then dropping me at work. I will be picked up from work and then we drive directly to Halifax, which should take about 1 1/2 hrs. from where I work.
Staying in a hotel overnight then a direct flight to Cuba in the morning.
Hopefully by Sat. afternoon, I will be relaxing on a beach with an umbrella drink in my hand!

I doubt I will have internet access at the resort, so I will miss you guys for a week. I promise to take lots of pictures for you and write a review when I get back!

donna
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
I am awaking to the earthquake & tsunmai news, with awe at the the magnitude of it all. Knowing the west coast is in the path, and to have friends on a ship in the Pacific is worrysome. I wonder if the ship will port later than planned. Thinking of everyone today.

Rainy here, and going nowhere...will spend the day with my little Lucy.

Make it a good one

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!!!

Well this earthquake/tsunami business is frightening. The images from the news are mind numbing. Trip I was wondering about Kuki and the gang on the Sapphire Princess too. I think they get back on the 12th. So let us hope the tsunami's force and energy passes beneath them on the ocean floor unnoticed today and they can arrive as planned.

Today should be a fun day at our house. After the schoolwork is done, D/D is having a 4 year old neighbor down to have a makeover party. The girls should have a ball.

Later tonight, d/s's new friend from checker's club invited him for a sleepover tonight and he is sooooo excited. I really like his buddy, and I know they will have a great time.

There's not much else happening here. Hope you all stay safe.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I slept late this morning, so I am just seeing the damage. Surely someone will hear from someone on the CM cruise soon. Please let us know as soon as you do.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admiral

I have yet to turn the tv on, and I dread to see the damage.

Got up to a house full of poo. Since the puppies attacked the cat food bag yesterday we bought them some puppy food. They are piglets. I left a big bowl out when I went to bed last night for their midnight snack. It was the first time I've not had to get up to feed them. Of course, there is poo everywhere. We are going to buy tick control and spread on the back yard today. We will be putting them out after it's sat a few days. In the meantime it's going to messy around here. Between scooping cat litter, cleaning up after puppies, and cleaning up after my dad, I'm feeling like my life is revolving around poo lately.

The dog and cats hate having the puppies here. They all walk on the furniture as much as possible. The cats also walk on counter, too. The dog would if she could. They hide out in back as much as possible. My bed is full of dog and cats all the time now. One of the cats has taken to sleeping on top of the fridge.

My cat Annabelle snuck into the litter box yesterday to do her business because I was close by. Poor baby had a shock when one of the puppies tried to climb in with her. She tried again a few hours later with the same puppy trying to climb in again. She was just massively offended then and hissed at him. He just looked at her and kept trying to climb in with her.

Hope everyone has a good day. RD, I hope the day passes quickly for you. Enjoy Cuba.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. I woke up to the news of the Tsunami too, and immediately thought of our cruisers. Praying for all right now.

Sunny and cool here in Florida today. I've got my car in for it's oil change so I'm killing time here at McDonalds right next door.

Have a great vacation, RD. You sure need a break from all the rough winter weather.

Take care everyone.
Phyll
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What horrible news to wake up to, yes, also thinking about our cruisers.

Kuki, please check in today, hoping for safe travels...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

My heart and thoughts go out to the people of Japan. This is truly a devastating quake with a large loss of life and major damage to Japan. This will dwarf the Kobe earthquake of the mid-90's.

The Get Lei'd folks will probably remain fast asleep as the tsunami wave passes under them. At sea it is only a 5' or 6' wave and easily handled by a ship. It's when the wave hits the shallower waters is when it becomes dangerous. A regular wave only displaces a few feet of water below the surface. A tsunami displaces all the water from the bottom of the ocean to the surface. When all that water hits shallower water it builds up on itself and creates the tsunami.

We will see the effects of this, physically, emotionally and economically for months to come.

Nothing really on the agenda today other than laundry.

I hope everyone has a great day and that our friends in Hawaii and the west coast fare well.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Captain

What terrible news to wake up to this morning. Praying for all in the line of the storm.
We have a coating of snow today, only on the ground, roads are clear. I was awakened early by a call from D/D letting me know that I would not have my little grandaughter today. Seems she has caught the crud that is going around here and was up all night vomiting. Poor baby. She has a Dr. appt at 11:30 so I will ride along in case she becomes ill again and needs someone to do clean up duty. Just hoping it is a quick passing crud.
D/H was out the door before 7 with the fellow who is buying his business. Since my D/H is an independant route man there are several things that need to be worked out with the main warehouse where all the product comes from. They are meeting with the manager there right now getting all that paperwork in order. If all goes well by the 1st of April D/H will be retired. Then he can start working on my honey-do list!!!!
RD- have safe travels and have one of those umbrella drinks for me. It's been tooooo long since I've had one.

Everyone have a good day and pray for those folks in Japan, Hawaii and the West Coast.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Admiral

All right. I finally turned the tv on. I just want to cry.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Admiral

And now we wait for some cruisers complain they missed a port while getting out of harms way. Hope not!!
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Tsunami Friday

Good morning! It's beautiful and sunny here in SoCal. I haven't heard any news about big waves, except on UPI.

Gym day for Keith and I guess I'd better do some ironing. I've been putting it off because of a sore shoulder.

Keith and I hope to have lunch with Frank (Farrimco) and his wife and hear all about the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise.

Judy
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those people who were affected by the Tsunami. May G-d see to it that there is not too much interruption or distruction in their lives. Sad to say that "mother nature" can play "cruel tricks" with the weather!
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from warm and sunny NY . The devastation caused by tsunamis ,earthquakes ,etc .is unreal . Hopefully this will never occur again. I have family in California who are in path of the storm .