Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
I just have to ask, What on earth is chicken fried steak?

Laura

It is 'by far' the signature dish of the majority of country cafes in the state of Texas. Always Creme gravy and usually mashed potatoes served with it. Basically it's a battered pan fried steak cooked in a skillet.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Thank you for the reply. I apreciate that you took the time to clear up my confusion.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Admiral

I LOVE chicken fried steak. In this area its a cream gravy while in some others it's more of a brown cream gravy.

To make it, Nancy, it's so easy. You're probably best off buying cubed steak or round steak, dredge it in flour (with salt and pepper like you would shake fried chicken in a bag), fry it in a liitle oil and when you remove it, sprinkle about a tablespoon (more or less depending upon the size or number of "steaks" you're cooking) of flour into the drippings and make a roux; then after the flour has combined with the oil and there are no lumps, pour in about a cup or maybe a little more of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir constantly until it becomes bubbly and thickens. If it's too thick, add a little more milk or even water and continue cooking until it returns to a slight boil.

To die for!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Todd, Thank you for the recipe. I will give it a try. I have recently revived my interest in cooking. I had not done much since it is just me. It was easier to go out and eat.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Todd--you have to have an egg to make CFS.

Your recipe sounds much more like what we call fried round steak or country steak. It's cubed steak and just done with flour, salt & pepper. It's very similar to CFS and the gravy would be darker as your making it from the drippings. This is easier to make than CFS and I did some just a few weeks ago.

I'll look up Ree Drummond's recipes and post a link.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Ree Drummond has some great country cook books.

Here is her chicken fried steak:Chicken Fried Steak | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

And here is her fried round steak:
Fried Round Steak | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

They are similar. When I was growing up we had FRS (the 2nd). The CFS was usually a cafe deal as it's harder to make.

Future Cruises:
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Somebody mentioned that spaghetti is an unusual regional variation that's added to chili in Cincinnati. So is chocolate. I thought the idea of chocolate chili was disgusting until I went to Cincinnati and tried it. Quite good, really. Nowadays you can get Cincinnati chili at many restaurants all over the country, including here in Arlington at the Hard Times Cafe.

There are so many variations in this country that they probably don't all really properly fit under a single name. It's sort of like calling every drink made with gin or vodka a Martini, which cruise ships are so fond of doing, whether or not the drink actually has any Martini in it!

But the variety, no matter the nomenclature, is wonderful to sample as we travel around the country--and the world.
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Admiral

I eat mine in a bowl with oyster crackers or in a bowl with elbow noodles chili mac style. I do make a steak chili as well that to die for.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Down here in Texas, you have a chance of getting strung up if you mess with our Big Red.