CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Tips on pumping our expensive gasoline (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381190-tips-pumping-our-expensive-gasoline.html)

Aerogirl March 15th, 2011 11:02 AM

Tips on pumping our expensive gasoline

Don't know if it's true but I thought I would share.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode , thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL . The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up ; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Mike M March 15th, 2011 11:36 AM

This email has been floating around the Internet for years and makes a resurgence each time gas prices go up.

Almost all of these claims have been debunked or the gas savings is so minimal (less than 1/10 of a cent on a tank of gas) that it is basically worthless information.

When gas hit $4.00/gal a few years ago a local TV station did a piece on this with input from the University of Minnesota and debunked it. Some of the tips may have some validity in a refinery that pumps millions of gallons of fuel a day but not for the local consumer.

If you really want to save gas then: Make sure your car is tuned up and your tires are at the right pressure.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan March 15th, 2011 12:45 PM

Another option is to use your car only when absolutely necessary .

Aerogirl March 15th, 2011 12:56 PM

It's the first time I've seen this one. I stated I didn't know how true it was, I thought I would share it and knew someone would shed some lite on it.

ToddDH March 15th, 2011 02:33 PM

Some of the stuff in that piece was in Consumer's Report. They said to avoid filling up in the afternoon and early evening during hot weather when possible, pump slowly and avoid filling up when a tanker is dumping because sediment does occur and becomes disturbed ( (my advice here)especially at older stations that have older tanks). Pumps do have filters built in (I used to as a kid assemble pumps at a local factory before they incorporated such filters) but who knows when they were last checked, cleaned, etc.

Don't quote me but I think they pointed out that whatever you lose in the summer time via the vapors, you more than get back in the winter time (if you live in a cool to cold climate).

They do very extensive research. Another point along the same lines.

You know how all oil companies advertise their oil is the best? CR a few years ago did a study and used a Manhattan cab company's brand new fleet for the test vehicles because they figured that they were probably far harder used than the average consumer vehicle. They used every major brand of oil down to store brands but it was all SAE certified oil (meaning no recycled, etc. which I guess you can buy). The results after 100,000 miles? There was absolutely no difference in engine wear when they broke down the engines.

In synopsis, they said use the cheapest oil you can but with the following caveats! It must be the type recommended for your vehicle (weight), must be SAE certified (it's stamped on the can end or on the plastic bottle) and must be changed according to manufacturer's specifications depending on conditions (a lot of city driving or driving in a dusty climate, etc.). Oh, unless you live under the aforementioned conditions there was no benefit to changing your oil every three thousand miles, which many people do simply because oil companies (and even many mechanics) recommend it. The oil companies uhhhh....sell more oil that way. It said follow your vehicle's recommendations (under normal conditions, usually every 7,500 miles). I have mine changed only when the change oil light comes on (it varies somewhat but is around every 72 to 75 hundred miles) and I've 137,000 miles on my car and it runs as if it were brand new and the couple of relatively minor problems I've had had nothing to do with the oil. Also, of course, check it regularly by the dipstick. This test, by the way, did not include sythetic oils which may well be better but they're more expensive, far more if you use what CR recommends.

Todd

kandajones March 15th, 2011 05:32 PM

Just to make you all feel a whole lot better, here in the UK we are paying just over 6.00 a gallon, ok so an imperial gallon is slightly bigger than a US gallon, but we are still talking $10 a gallon :-(

What we need is a water powered engine, we get lots of rain here ;)

Alan

anniegb March 15th, 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1359658)
Just to make you all feel a whole lot better, here in the UK we are paying just over 6.00 a gallon, ok so an imperial gallon is slightly bigger than a US gallon, but we are still talking $10 a gallon :-(

What we need is a water powered engine, we get lots of rain here ;)

Alan

and in the Scottish Highlands and Islands, you don't want to know :)

Interestingly one fact I remember from my Alaska Trip was that a gallon of milk was more expensive than a gallon of gasoline.

There are some milk promotions in Scotland, where 8 litres of milk = 1.50 or $2.30

Imagine Alan if petrol in the UK was cheaper than that :)

Annie

anniegb March 15th, 2011 07:58 PM

Iona - an alternative to gasoline

Hi

I was hoping to post a photo but the file size is too large!

Anyway on the Island of Iona, very few vehicles are allowed.

One of the two hotel's has a VW which has been converted to run on recycled cooking oil with 80% less emmissions.

Problem solved?

Annie :)

ToddDH March 15th, 2011 08:36 PM

Over here the "Food Police" would be on them in a heartbeat for too much fried food! :shock: ;) :)

Todd

Bruce Chafkin1 March 15th, 2011 09:30 PM

A better suggestion:

Live in a place where automobiles are not needed.
The last time I drove a car was 1983.
Can you imagine how much fuel (and money) I have saved over the past 28 years?

ToddDH March 15th, 2011 10:25 PM

Bruce,

A great idea if one can live in such a place. Plus sadly, both personal likes/desires and affordability (two not insignificant tenets) have to go into the equation as well.

You indeed are fortunate.

Todd

anniegb March 16th, 2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1359741)
A better suggestion:

Live in a place where automobiles are not needed.
The last time I drove a car was 1983.
Can you imagine how much fuel (and money) I have saved over the past 28 years?

That's me too :)

Annie

kandajones March 16th, 2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1359713)
Hi

One of the two hotel's has a VW which has been converted to run on recycled cooking oil with 80% less emmissions.

Problem solved?

Annie :)

So Annie, if we deep fry everything then we're half way there. Awwww come on I didn't say who have a reputation for deep fried food did I ;)

Alan

anniegb March 16th, 2011 01:01 PM

On the island of Iona, I figure they generate the recycled cooking oil from cooking for all the visitors!

I can't remember a petrol station on the island.

Thinking out loud -I wonder what Macdonalds etc does with all their old cooking oil. :)

Annie

HawkeyeFLA March 18th, 2011 01:48 PM

I was wondering how long it would take for this email to circulate around this time. WTH is vapor return? Maybe some weird California eco thing, but here in FL, there's just a metal tube at the end of the hose, nothing fancy.

The half tank thing tho, I try to follow that, but more just so that each tanking doesn't feel as expensive. I know I'm not really spending less in any given month, but I can budget better when its not as much coming out of the bank account all at once.

The real tips?

Go easy on the gas pedal. I'm not saying travel a lower speeds once you're up and running, but there's no need for a 4,000 RPM departure from a red light. I have a 5 speed manual, and when gas prices go up, my shift point goes down. I'll shift at 2k rpm instead of 3k, sometimes even less. A little less on the pedal can go a long way.

And yes, travelling at a lower speed does save gas, but on longer trips, I really don't care because I would rather get there sooner at the expense of a few pennies of gasoline. Okay, maybe a few quarters right now. :-p

ToddDH March 18th, 2011 11:22 PM

Good points Hawkeye. But when we went into Knoxville TN (about twenty miles from where I was visiting my brother and SIL as well as my niece DeAnna and her husband, i elected to ride with them instead of my brother's family sedan my reasoning will become obvious).

We came off the ramp on I-75 and there being no traffic he went up through the gears with the paddle shift and in seconds we were over 125 when he backed it down. Of course anyone who owns a 100,000 dollar Maserati Gran Sport should be able to pay for the fuel! :shock: :D

Todd

Fern March 19th, 2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1360636)
Good points Hawkeye. But when we went into Knoxville TN (about twenty miles from where I was visiting my brother and SIL as well as my niece DeAnna and her husband, i elected to ride with them instead of my brother's family sedan my reasoning will become obvious).

We came off the ramp on I-75 and there being no traffic he went up through the gears with the paddle shift and in seconds we were over 125 when he backed it down. Of course anyone who owns a 100,000 dollar Maserati Gran Sport should be able to pay for the fuel! :shock: :D

Todd

:shock::shock::shock: !

Manuel March 19th, 2011 10:04 PM

Next month we will be driving from Connecticut to Florida. We are going to stay 4 nights in Palm Coast and 1 night in Ft. lauderdale before our cruise on the Celebrity Equinox. After the cruise we will stay a few more days in Fl.
Even with today's gas prices if we were to fly and then rent a car, we would spend a lot more money.

TM