Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Default Tips on pumping our expensive gasoline

Don't know if it's true but I thought I would share.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode , thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL . The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up ; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This email has been floating around the Internet for years and makes a resurgence each time gas prices go up.

Almost all of these claims have been debunked or the gas savings is so minimal (less than 1/10 of a cent on a tank of gas) that it is basically worthless information.

When gas hit $4.00/gal a few years ago a local TV station did a piece on this with input from the University of Minnesota and debunked it. Some of the tips may have some validity in a refinery that pumps millions of gallons of fuel a day but not for the local consumer.

If you really want to save gas then: Make sure your car is tuned up and your tires are at the right pressure.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Another option is to use your car only when absolutely necessary .
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

It's the first time I've seen this one. I stated I didn't know how true it was, I thought I would share it and knew someone would shed some lite on it.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Some of the stuff in that piece was in Consumer's Report. They said to avoid filling up in the afternoon and early evening during hot weather when possible, pump slowly and avoid filling up when a tanker is dumping because sediment does occur and becomes disturbed ( (my advice here)especially at older stations that have older tanks). Pumps do have filters built in (I used to as a kid assemble pumps at a local factory before they incorporated such filters) but who knows when they were last checked, cleaned, etc.

Don't quote me but I think they pointed out that whatever you lose in the summer time via the vapors, you more than get back in the winter time (if you live in a cool to cold climate).

They do very extensive research. Another point along the same lines.

You know how all oil companies advertise their oil is the best? CR a few years ago did a study and used a Manhattan cab company's brand new fleet for the test vehicles because they figured that they were probably far harder used than the average consumer vehicle. They used every major brand of oil down to store brands but it was all SAE certified oil (meaning no recycled, etc. which I guess you can buy). The results after 100,000 miles? There was absolutely no difference in engine wear when they broke down the engines.

In synopsis, they said use the cheapest oil you can but with the following caveats! It must be the type recommended for your vehicle (weight), must be SAE certified (it's stamped on the can end or on the plastic bottle) and must be changed according to manufacturer's specifications depending on conditions (a lot of city driving or driving in a dusty climate, etc.). Oh, unless you live under the aforementioned conditions there was no benefit to changing your oil every three thousand miles, which many people do simply because oil companies (and even many mechanics) recommend it. The oil companies uhhhh....sell more oil that way. It said follow your vehicle's recommendations (under normal conditions, usually every 7,500 miles). I have mine changed only when the change oil light comes on (it varies somewhat but is around every 72 to 75 hundred miles) and I've 137,000 miles on my car and it runs as if it were brand new and the couple of relatively minor problems I've had had nothing to do with the oil. Also, of course, check it regularly by the dipstick. This test, by the way, did not include sythetic oils which may well be better but they're more expensive, far more if you use what CR recommends.

Todd
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Just to make you all feel a whole lot better, here in the UK we are paying just over 6.00 a gallon, ok so an imperial gallon is slightly bigger than a US gallon, but we are still talking $10 a gallon

What we need is a water powered engine, we get lots of rain here

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
Just to make you all feel a whole lot better, here in the UK we are paying just over 6.00 a gallon, ok so an imperial gallon is slightly bigger than a US gallon, but we are still talking $10 a gallon

What we need is a water powered engine, we get lots of rain here

Alan
and in the Scottish Highlands and Islands, you don't want to know

Interestingly one fact I remember from my Alaska Trip was that a gallon of milk was more expensive than a gallon of gasoline.

There are some milk promotions in Scotland, where 8 litres of milk = 1.50 or $2.30

Imagine Alan if petrol in the UK was cheaper than that

Annie
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Default Iona - an alternative to gasoline

Hi

I was hoping to post a photo but the file size is too large!

Anyway on the Island of Iona, very few vehicles are allowed.

One of the two hotel's has a VW which has been converted to run on recycled cooking oil with 80% less emmissions.

Problem solved?

Annie
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Over here the "Food Police" would be on them in a heartbeat for too much fried food!

Todd
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Captain

A better suggestion:

Live in a place where automobiles are not needed.
The last time I drove a car was 1983.
Can you imagine how much fuel (and money) I have saved over the past 28 years?
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Bruce,

A great idea if one can live in such a place. Plus sadly, both personal likes/desires and affordability (two not insignificant tenets) have to go into the equation as well.

You indeed are fortunate.

Todd
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
A better suggestion:

Live in a place where automobiles are not needed.
The last time I drove a car was 1983.
Can you imagine how much fuel (and money) I have saved over the past 28 years?
That's me too

Annie
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Hi

One of the two hotel's has a VW which has been converted to run on recycled cooking oil with 80% less emmissions.

Problem solved?

Annie
So Annie, if we deep fry everything then we're half way there. Awwww come on I didn't say who have a reputation for deep fried food did I

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

On the island of Iona, I figure they generate the recycled cooking oil from cooking for all the visitors!

I can't remember a petrol station on the island.

Thinking out loud -I wonder what Macdonalds etc does with all their old cooking oil.

Annie
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:48 PM
First Mate

I was wondering how long it would take for this email to circulate around this time. WTH is vapor return? Maybe some weird California eco thing, but here in FL, there's just a metal tube at the end of the hose, nothing fancy.

The half tank thing tho, I try to follow that, but more just so that each tanking doesn't feel as expensive. I know I'm not really spending less in any given month, but I can budget better when its not as much coming out of the bank account all at once.

The real tips?

Go easy on the gas pedal. I'm not saying travel a lower speeds once you're up and running, but there's no need for a 4,000 RPM departure from a red light. I have a 5 speed manual, and when gas prices go up, my shift point goes down. I'll shift at 2k rpm instead of 3k, sometimes even less. A little less on the pedal can go a long way.

And yes, travelling at a lower speed does save gas, but on longer trips, I really don't care because I would rather get there sooner at the expense of a few pennies of gasoline. Okay, maybe a few quarters right now. :-p

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Good points Hawkeye. But when we went into Knoxville TN (about twenty miles from where I was visiting my brother and SIL as well as my niece DeAnna and her husband, i elected to ride with them instead of my brother's family sedan my reasoning will become obvious).

We came off the ramp on I-75 and there being no traffic he went up through the gears with the paddle shift and in seconds we were over 125 when he backed it down. Of course anyone who owns a 100,000 dollar Maserati Gran Sport should be able to pay for the fuel!

Todd
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Good points Hawkeye. But when we went into Knoxville TN (about twenty miles from where I was visiting my brother and SIL as well as my niece DeAnna and her husband, i elected to ride with them instead of my brother's family sedan my reasoning will become obvious).

We came off the ramp on I-75 and there being no traffic he went up through the gears with the paddle shift and in seconds we were over 125 when he backed it down. Of course anyone who owns a 100,000 dollar Maserati Gran Sport should be able to pay for the fuel!

Todd
!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Next month we will be driving from Connecticut to Florida. We are going to stay 4 nights in Palm Coast and 1 night in Ft. lauderdale before our cruise on the Celebrity Equinox. After the cruise we will stay a few more days in Fl.
Even with today's gas prices if we were to fly and then rent a car, we would spend a lot more money.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!