CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   how dumb do they think we are? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381193-how-dumb-do-they-think-we.html)

Paul Motter March 15th, 2011 01:14 PM

how dumb do they think we are?

Cruise line price scare: Just how dumb do they think we are?

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/15/cruise-line-price-scare-just-how-dumb-do-they-think-we-are/

I am just wondering what you think if this article. He seems pretty tough on NCL to me.

Mike M March 15th, 2011 01:29 PM

I often get the feeling between the cruise lines and travel agencies that they are the mattress store that is "always having a sale.". After a while you start to ignore the "half price", "OBC" (that isn't combinable with any other discount), reduced deposit, one day sale or the other myriad of sales that occur. Most of the time they really aren't much of a sale and you become numb.

It's sad that almost all of the snail mail and email promotions end up in the "trash" either on the computer or in the garage.

Remember: "Act now! Our 4-day sale starts today.". I just added this because I just received this email from NCL. :)

Take care,
Mike

LisaK March 15th, 2011 01:52 PM

if you are going to have a sale, make it worth my time, have some substance to it, not all bells, whistles and gimmicks.

ToddDH March 15th, 2011 02:01 PM

To put it simply, I don't know. I do, however, know a little about business.

To me any "increase" would be in a fuel surcharge which may be justifiable.

As for NCL, is it in financial trouble again? I do not know but they appear to me at least, to have a bit more than their share of equipment problems but I may be wrong.

With the economy just now in it's earliest stages of recovery (which may well be endangered by events in Japan), the average American I don't see as yet noticing much of a positive difference, if any. That is why I can't imagine raising prices at this stage in the game unless bookings are way up (only you guys who are in the business would know that as I wouldn't even know how to research something of such a nature). Of course such info could also be considered proprietary, too. But to me, an increase at this time just doesn't jive.

I'm not saying though that lines don't need to increase fares but if they do, they definitely need to make some positive changes. On many lines (RCI) being one, that were noted for their food quality and extensive menus have tanked (in my opinion) along with quality in various areas of other lines. If they were to nominally raise their fares and re-establish their former standards and advertise such, I personally think they would be much better off.

Just my opinion.

Todd

Manuel March 15th, 2011 03:05 PM

I don't pay attention to cruise sales. If they don't get one way they get you another.
I just bite the bullet and book the cruise that I am interested in.

TM

ship2shore March 15th, 2011 03:32 PM

This means they are raising the completely irrelevant Brochure Price, right? If you cant sell product at $499, then you cant sell it at $549.
Or maybe Im completely wrong, and theyll pull a rabbit out of their smokestack.

Kuki March 15th, 2011 04:41 PM

I do think the writer was a bit hard on NCL, because eternal "sale of the century" announcements are common with other cruise lines as well.

I do understand the need to advertise, but like Mike, I become numb to the "sale signs" always hanging on the cruise line doors.

jacdenv24 March 15th, 2011 08:48 PM

Out of our 13 cruises, one was on Holland America and I cannot believe the amount of e and snail mail we get from them. And it all goes directly in the recyclable. I am never swayed by 2 for 1's, 3 day sales, reduced deposits etc. We just pick the best cruise and the best cabin we can afford, put down a deposit and sit tight. It will be interesting to see if NCL really does raise their prices on April 1-hope someone is keeping track!

Marc March 16th, 2011 07:41 PM

Regent has a similar pricing/marketing strategy.

They start off with a very low price compared to brochure. At the end of every quarter, they raise prices. Not all cruise prices rise; just those that have sold to a sufficient level. If a cruise is not totally sold, they do not lower price again but may add other benefits (in most cases TA can add to existing bookings). I like the system as I know that by booking early, I am getting the lowest possible price.