Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default how dumb do they think we are?

Cruise line price scare: Just how dumb do they think we are?

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/15/cruise-line-price-scare-just-how-dumb-do-they-think-we-are/

I am just wondering what you think if this article. He seems pretty tough on NCL to me.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I often get the feeling between the cruise lines and travel agencies that they are the mattress store that is "always having a sale.". After a while you start to ignore the "half price", "OBC" (that isn't combinable with any other discount), reduced deposit, one day sale or the other myriad of sales that occur. Most of the time they really aren't much of a sale and you become numb.

It's sad that almost all of the snail mail and email promotions end up in the "trash" either on the computer or in the garage.

Remember: "Act now! Our 4-day sale starts today.". I just added this because I just received this email from NCL.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; March 15th, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Edited to add "Incredible Four Day Sail". :)
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Admiral

if you are going to have a sale, make it worth my time, have some substance to it, not all bells, whistles and gimmicks.
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Admiral

To put it simply, I don't know. I do, however, know a little about business.

To me any "increase" would be in a fuel surcharge which may be justifiable.

As for NCL, is it in financial trouble again? I do not know but they appear to me at least, to have a bit more than their share of equipment problems but I may be wrong.

With the economy just now in it's earliest stages of recovery (which may well be endangered by events in Japan), the average American I don't see as yet noticing much of a positive difference, if any. That is why I can't imagine raising prices at this stage in the game unless bookings are way up (only you guys who are in the business would know that as I wouldn't even know how to research something of such a nature). Of course such info could also be considered proprietary, too. But to me, an increase at this time just doesn't jive.

I'm not saying though that lines don't need to increase fares but if they do, they definitely need to make some positive changes. On many lines (RCI) being one, that were noted for their food quality and extensive menus have tanked (in my opinion) along with quality in various areas of other lines. If they were to nominally raise their fares and re-establish their former standards and advertise such, I personally think they would be much better off.

Just my opinion.

Todd
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I don't pay attention to cruise sales. If they don't get one way they get you another.
I just bite the bullet and book the cruise that I am interested in.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Captain

This means they are raising the completely irrelevant Brochure Price, right? If you cant sell product at $499, then you cant sell it at $549.
Or maybe Im completely wrong, and theyll pull a rabbit out of their smokestack.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I do think the writer was a bit hard on NCL, because eternal "sale of the century" announcements are common with other cruise lines as well.

I do understand the need to advertise, but like Mike, I become numb to the "sale signs" always hanging on the cruise line doors.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Captain

Out of our 13 cruises, one was on Holland America and I cannot believe the amount of e and snail mail we get from them. And it all goes directly in the recyclable. I am never swayed by 2 for 1's, 3 day sales, reduced deposits etc. We just pick the best cruise and the best cabin we can afford, put down a deposit and sit tight. It will be interesting to see if NCL really does raise their prices on April 1-hope someone is keeping track!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Regent has a similar pricing/marketing strategy.

They start off with a very low price compared to brochure. At the end of every quarter, they raise prices. Not all cruise prices rise; just those that have sold to a sufficient level. If a cruise is not totally sold, they do not lower price again but may add other benefits (in most cases TA can add to existing bookings). I like the system as I know that by booking early, I am getting the lowest possible price.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14